Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
    The Lands of America?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    All I said was that I wouldn't be surprised if several million votes for Hillary turned out to be illegit. There's no need to get defensive.
    I suppose my hat will remain uneaten then

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    The Lands of America?
    We could separate the country into districts, and hold an annual competition between each district to entertain the rich and powerf-

Uh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Seriously, we need to get on board with this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    How about we just get rid of the states, as well. What's the point of having states, if the people living in them don't matter or have no say in their government.
    First off, a state isn't something that should have a higher focus over the people in it. It is just an imaginary border that people drew and gave it a name. It is just a means of governance, not a person in of itself. Secondly, the people living in those states don't have any less say than any place else. That's how voting works, and should work, unlike the current electoral college. Finally, we have states to make it easier to manage things. Just like why we have counties, and towns, and etc. It is not it's own country, as much as some people think it can be.

Popular does not and has not ever truly mattered. All this shows is that the country is divided ideologIcally

Deleted
    Lol, Liberals

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    The Lands of America?
    The Republic of America.

I think the real issue here is that 40% of the population in this country didn't vote. (40% may be incorrect, last thing I read ~60% voted - feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

We need a system where every person can get out and vote for president elect of the country. It's sad these many people didn't get to vote.

I didn't vote this year because I moved to a new state (Michigan) and didn't register in that state in time, and they won't let me absentee to my previous state (Florida) because I had already registered to be a resident in Michigan.
    Last edited by Reachie10; 2016-11-22 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    What would you change it to? Straight majority vote wins? Then you'd have 52% vote for X then the remaining 48% didn't matter country wide.
    That would still be shit but would reflect the peoples will more than the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Reachie10 View Post
    I think the real issue here is that 40% of the population in this country didn't vote. (40% may be incorrect, last thing I read ~60% voted - feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

We need a system where every person can get out and vote for president elect of the country. It's sad these many people didn't get to vote.
    What's sad is all the uniformed voters that actually voted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Uninformed meaning 'anyone who isn't me', in your case?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    This is also a problem yes - to some respect. Many people vote for whoever their parents/loved ones say to vote for, rather then making the choice themselves.

I don't know how we fix that problem, but I blame the media for a lot of this "bad information."

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly wish in politics there would be zero negativity.

I think an election campaign should be run on what you, as a candidate, are going to try and do to improve the country.

Especially this year, both parties did nothing but bash the other party, which hurts everyone, mostly the American people.

The issues at hand were hardly ever discussed later on in the election cycle. It felt to me like the last two months, there was NO talk of issues, just fear mongering and bashing of each other canidates, familes, ect.

Sadly though, our given right is Free Speech, so we can't really influence that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reachie10 View Post
    While I would love to see expanded voting periods to further accommodate people with busy schedules, employers, and employees with coverage and time off to vote, the truth is right now ~2/3's of the states have specific laws that allow time off (in many circumstances paid) to vote.

I don't think that most people that didn't vote weren't afforded the opportunity, as much as they had the opportunity but chose not to use it.

And I can't blame them. It is certainly their right to use their voice or not and this election certainly with it's negativity and unlikable front-runners did not inspire people to take the time out of their day to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    If you counted it by vote, and not by electoral vote, everyone would have equal say. Why do states need to have a say when it's the people that matter more?
    Because the constitution says that states have rights

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateSmiley View Post
    Constitution also says that slaves count for three fifths of a person. Doesn't make it right, or reasonable.

Maybe you should look up on how we have 3 branches of government. Namely the Legislative Branch that has checks and balance on the President. Last time I remember states elect their Representatives and Senators by popular vote.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Its amazing that 61.8million votes was enough to vote in a president over a country with 318million ppl in it.
    As a european i just wonder why you dont change the system. Whats the benefits with it? Why is the current one better than democracy?

Uninformed meaning 'anyone who isn't me', in your case?
    Yes that is exactly what I mean. /s

10+ Year Old Account
    And changing this would be bad because?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why not? Electoral votes should be awarded equally, why should votes in Wisconsin, for example, be worth "more" than ours in California? Are we not equal and deserving of equal representation for our state in presidential elections?

You say that, I disagree. I think those on the right who did it for Obama largely fit into that category, since the majority of their complaints were either boldfaced lies (he's a Muslim/Kenyan) or complete poppycock (he's a "communist" or is giving amnesty to all Mexican illegals, two things that are objectively false).

Folks have very serious issues with his rhetoric, policies (or lack thereof), whom he is putting in power (FUCKING BANNON, HOLY SHIT THAT IS SCARY), the fact that the man was a birther and an anti-vaxer and his VP is a young earth creationist who believes that you can "pray the gay away" and doesn't believe smoking increases your risk of cancer, are all serious issues.

I wouldn't have been happy with a president McCain or Romney, but I'd have still called them my president. They exist in the same reality as everyone else (for the most part) and weren't peddling in bigotry, lies (holy crap Trump is painfully dishonest), and actually exhibited an understanding of the responsibilities of the job they were applying for and how government works. Trump and his team have shown none of those things, and they're already off to a pretty terrifying start.
    I cant believe i have to explain this. California has 39 million people. Over 10% of the population and more than 10% of the electoral votes. 4 million picked trump and 7.4 hillary, but really, only 1 more vote than trumps is what counts. So california picked over 10% of all votes ith barely over 1% of the population. And every republican vote was disenfranchised in the process. You want "fair", then every epectoral v8te should be won individually, not for the state.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    That would still be shit but would reflect the peoples will more than the current system.
    No it actually wouldnt. Not even close.

also how are you all not seeing thst popupar votes are much easier to steal with fake votes. You can stuff any ballot anywhere. Winning states is significantly harder since you dont really know which states youll need to steal or how many votes to steal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Its funny though.. The number of votes each candidate won is really close to the number that didn't even show up to vote. Do we say their will isn't met? They just don't care or what?

You also need to read WHY there is an electoral college in the federalist papers. It makes sense.