Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    FMA:Brotherhood
    Those two certainly showed an unbreakable bond in that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I really needed that 2nd sleep. 13 hours is what you need after being up for 28.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

time for this dragon to retire to his cave
    g'nite everypony

15+ Year Old Account
    hmmm seems i cant get my favorite pokemon in moon till i beat the elite 4....

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    hmmm seems i cant get my favorite pokemon in moon till i beat the elite 4....
    Give the elite 4 the what have you

Sig: Elyssia | DJoron is the Best

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyera View Post
    I hate you so much

And I don't know who those two are.

Let me see if I can summon the Master Chemist with @Rokom
    I am here now if you're still around

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokom View Post
    I am here now if you're still around
    Strangely I am

Quick question for you as Khan has explained little on the subject matter

2 questions.

1, if all elements strive to have an octet of electrons, does that mean the first few ones in groups 1, 2, 13, and 14 that strive to be cations are striving to have 0 electrons instead of 8? Or does the octet just means they strive to have a multiple of 8, even if that includes 0. Furthermore, the noble gases are 2, 10, etc, while being 8 apart, aren't 8. Blegh, I don't even know what I'm asking anymore, moving onward.

When doing Stoichiometry, how do you know which element to use the moles of to determine the mass of the products?

- - - Updated - - -

I gotta scoot for 10 minutes, actually. Ugh. If you respond, I will be back

10+ Year Old Account
    Strangely I am

Quick question for you as Khan has explained little on the subject matter

2 questions.

1, if all elements strive to have an octet of electrons, does that mean the first few ones in groups 1, 2, 13, and 14 that strive to be cations are striving to have 0 electrons instead of 8? Or does the octet just means they strive to have a multiple of 8, even if that includes 0. Furthermore, the noble gases are 2, 10, etc, while being 8 apart, aren't 8. Blegh, I don't even know what I'm asking anymore, moving onward.

When doing Stoichiometry, how do you know which element to use the moles of to determine the mass of the products?

- - - Updated - - -

I gotta scoot for 10 minutes, actually. Ugh. If you respond, I will be back
    For 1. The first orbital wants to have 2 electrons while the rest have 8, that's why Helium has 2, and Neon has 10, and Argon has 18 etc. But yeah, everything strives for having only full and empty orbitals, even if that means giving away electrons, especially for groups 1 and 2. Iirc, groups 13 and 14 don't form ionic bonds as readily, but they are more likely to be cations if they do.

2. Well, your output will always have the same total mass as your input, so once it's all balanced, you just do (#moles of product * number of an element in the product * the atomic mass of the element*avagadro's number) for each element in the product, and then repeat for every product.

For example, if you add Lithium to water

2Li + 2H2O = 2 LiOH + H2 is (#moles * 2 * (6.94 + 16.0 + 1.01)*6.022*10^23)g LiOH and (# moles * 2 * 1.01*6.022*10^23)g H2
    Last edited by Rokom; 2016-11-26 at 06:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For 1. The first orbital wants to have 2 electrons while the rest have 8, that's why Helium has 2, and Neon has 10, and Argon has 18 etc. But yeah, everything strives for having only full and empty orbitals, even if that means giving away electrons, especially for groups 1 and 2. Iirc, groups 13 and 14 don't form ionic bonds as readily, but they are more likely to be cations if they do.

2. Well, your output will always have the same total mass as your input, so once it's all balanced, you just do (#moles of product * number of an element in the product * the atomic mass of the element*avagadro's number) for each element in the product, and then repeat for every product.

For example, if you add Lithium to water

2Li + 2H2O = 2 LiOH + H2 is (#moles * 2 * (6.94 + 16.0 + 1.01)*6.022*10^23) LiOH and (# moles * 2 * 1.01*6.022*10^23) H2
    Oooh okay

That's so much easier than the way they were doing it.

And sorry for not knowing about octets. They just threw that word out there in the middle of a video like we were all just supposed to know the preference of orbiting electrons

10+ Year Old Account
    Oooh okay

That's so much easier than the way they were doing it.

And sorry for not knowing about octets. They just threw that word out there in the middle of a video like we were all just supposed to know the preference of orbiting electrons
    If you're still in gen chem stuff, I don't blame you for not knowing much about orbitals yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're still in gen chem stuff, I don't blame you for not knowing much about orbitals yet.
    I got really sick of integrals, so I decided to give Chemistry a shot. The only things I've learned so far is balancing chemical equations, cations / anions (Easy to remember, since cats are awesome, they must be positive!), stoichiometry, how a mass spectrometer works (For some reason), isotopes, ions, moles, atmoic mass... some other things...

10+ Year Old Account
    I got really sick of integrals, so I decided to give Chemistry a shot. The only things I've learned so far is balancing chemical equations, cations / anions (Easy to remember, since cats are awesome, they must be positive!), stoichiometry, how a mass spectrometer works (For some reason), isotopes, ions, moles, atmoic mass... some other things...
    Yeah sounds like it's mostly just the super introductory stuff so far then. A little weird that they chose to throw the mass spectrometer in now, but I guess it kind of makes sense when you're learning stoic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah sounds like it's mostly just the super introductory stuff so far then. A little weird that they chose to throw the mass spectrometer in now, but I guess it kind of makes sense when you're learning stoic?
    It was right before stoichoimetry, so I guess. I dunno. I didn't take any notes on it, just watched the 15 minutes of video and moved on. Didn't seem overly complicated, or they overly simplified it probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing that Abby uses to analyze substances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Who is Abby?

10+ Year Old Account
    It was right before stoichoimetry, so I guess. I dunno. I didn't take any notes on it, just watched the 15 minutes of video and moved on. Didn't seem overly complicated, or they overly simplified it probably.
    Yeah, what they do isn't all that complicated. They are expensive, though.

That's not too surprising. NCIS still makes me think of the "getting all the high scores in MMOs" scene, though.

Although, the worst one I've seen lately was from the new McGyver

10+ Year Old Account
    It did look expensive

10+ Year Old Account

That's not too surprising. NCIS still makes me think of the "getting all the high scores in MMOs" scene, though.

Although, the worst one I've seen lately was from the new McGyver

[video=youtube_share;AcOOygDHY-0]https://youtu.be/AcOOygDHY-0[video]
    Don't forget never using a mouse, and typing on the same keyboard together http://www.cracked.com/article_19160...echnology.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget never using a mouse, and typing on the same keyboard together http://www.cracked.com/article_19160...echnology.html
    And unplugging the whole computer instead of just the ethernet cord

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously have to wonder why these TV shows never put any effort into actually understanding how to make their plots make sense. Or maybe they did and just didn't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously have to wonder why these TV shows never put any effort into actually understanding how to make their plots make sense. Or maybe they did and just didn't care.
    Probably because they know that 95% of the people watching it also have no idea that what they did makes no sense.