Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Football sex abuse victims: 'I was raped up to 100 times'

Four ex-footballers have come forward to tell of the sexual abuse they suffered as children at the hands of coach Barry Bennell.

Chris Unsworth and Jason Dunford gave their first interviews since waiving their anonymity on the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme.

Former players Steve Walters and Andy Woodward had earlier spoken of the abuse. Bennell, 62, has served three jail sentences for child sex offences.

Chris Unsworth, 44, says he had not spoken to anyone about the abuse he suffered until now.

"I kept it locked away right in the back of my head, but I am still reliving it," he said on Friday.

"But watching Andy [Woodward] on TV brought it home."

The former Manchester City youth player said Bennell's abuse began at the age of nine.

"It started in the car - he used to touch, play games on the way to training."

It later got "more serious" during sleepovers at Bennell's house, "where there was penetration", he said.

He said although he had been "raped between 50 and 100 times", no-one ever spoke about it.

Mr Unsworth moved to Crewe with Bennell at the age of 12 when he says he began to lose interest.

"Your body changes and that's when your time is up - he moves on to fresh blood."

Mr Unsworth, a funeral director, later became a golfer after leaving football at 16.

"I turned away from football - I'd had enough," he said.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38103811

For those unaware a recent child abuse scandal has emerged this time regarding a coach (and possible others) raping children training to be footballers

Deleted
    Fake.
    We all know males cannot be raped, they only rape.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Fake.
    We all know males cannot be raped, they only rape.
    i was thinking this too lol

its so rare that you hear about men being raped, so it HAS TO BE FAKE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    i was thinking this too lol

its so rare that you hear about men being raped, so it HAS TO BE FAKE!

They're also white, so they deserve it.

Deleted
    Can we not make this a retarded gender issue

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Damn Shadow.

Haven't seen you in forever.

7+ Year Old Account
    call the feminists to verify this. thatll clear it up.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good job that Jock Stein is already dead or he would be shitting himself right now.

Deleted

But really, while I'm skeptical of the number, Bennell is a known abuser and is currently serving time iirc. I hope they're able to get justice if they haven't already, but nothing is going to undo what he did. It's shocking there was so little oversight, but it's a story we've seen time and time again with these influential people around in the 70s & 80s.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-11-26 at 02:43 PM.

Well since the FBI doesn't count male rape among its number I won't count this too.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is going well.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    It's a good job that Jock Stein is already dead or he would be shitting himself right now.
    Celtic Boys Club still fiddles little boys.....

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomshine View Post

To be honest, parents should have done a better job to protect their kids and these guys coming out now crying on national television that you got violated whilst you are sleeping over in the coach's house (which I will never permit my kids to do) is not going to win any sympathy from me.
    Spoken like someone who's never been abused in any way. Not all of us had protected childhoods where it was all rainbows and unicorns. Some of us had horrible childhoods no matter how much the parents tried to shelter us from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not derail with gender nonsense

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomshine View Post
    Sounds like someone who doesn't see the big picture of today's world. Yes, I agree not everyone has a perfect childhood but when you compare with the kids in Syria, the gravity of these guys experience is very minimal. Do you see Syrian kids begging on their knees in front of reporters asking for help? People may lose their jobs, benefits, housing or relationships due to factors that they cannot control, do you see them going on BBC crying over how useless Jeremy Corbin is?

It's cruel reality and I am sad to say these guys have to either be strong and get over it or just simply leave the process.
    You don't have to pick and choose y'know. You can sympathize with more than one horrible thing.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Celtic Boys Club still fiddles little boys.....
    No doubt about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What makes this especially sad is that apparently there were rumours of his actions a few years before he was caught, but they couldn't be proven and so other children ended up being hurt by him.

Paedophiles will always be attracted to occupations where they come into contact with children, so it isn't really shocking that abuse has happened in football.

Hopefully this coming to light will encourage clubs to set up better systems, most of the big clubs nowadays place a lot of emphasis on psychology of youth team players, in order to create an environment where the kids can talk about their issues and that should help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Penn State only got a slap on the wrist, and Paterno got off scot-free. Trump admits to sexually assaulting young girls / women and no one bats an eyelash.

I guess nobody cares and we should all just get used to it.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Penn State only got a slap on the wrist, and Paterno got off scot-free. Trump admits to sexually assaulting young girls / women and no one bats an eyelash.

I guess nobody cares and we should all just get used to it.
    Firstly, those are in the US and secondly, I am pretty confident that Trump has never admitted to paedophilia, so bringing him into a topic about paedophilia is utterly disagraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Firstly, those are in the US and secondly, I am pretty confident that Trump has never admitted to paedophilia, so bringing him into a topic about paedophilia is utterly disagraceful.
    At the core of it it's rape, so it's not like you get to split hairs and apply different standards for them.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future