Thread: DK Viability?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

DK Viability?

Hey peeps,

I'm levelling dk atm maimed it in wod and swapped to dh in legion however the momentum playstyle is kinda irritating so am looking to swap back.I'm fairly casual and only really do world content, arena and mythic+,

Only question really is how viable are our 3 specs for everything? I'll 've main frost due to how potent it seems in m+ but would love to be able to go blood and unholy when I feel like it and not be punished much.

Deleted
    Unholy was the great spec until it got nerfed and frost got buffed, so frost is now the best dps class.

blood dk's are excellent as well, there is really not much to say?.

go frost if dps, go blood if tank. DK's are decent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna pls View Post
    Unholy was the great spec until it got nerfed and frost got buffed, so frost is now the best dps class.

Hold your horses stranger! DK Overall ain't that great. DK tanks are great for M+ for bad for raids. DK Dps is okay, but not amazing.

When you get all 3 golden traits and somewhat of good trinkets, frost reks, even w/o those its still reasonably good to play since you dont do raids. Spcly playstyle wise all 3 specs are really really fun, active and relax compared to that fukfest that momentum is
    Actually, almost any melee is more enjoyable than momentum dh.
    Frost : Powerful procs and big crits. Reking cds if lined up
    Uh: Buff hunting dot machine with some speedy CDs that makes you fly with your rotation
    Blood: My hp is more than boss, sweet VB and that's it
    Remember its only outside of raids for everything else. In raids that's a whole different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanj View Post
    Hold your horses stranger! DK Overall ain't that great. DK tanks are great for M+ for bad for raids. DK Dps is okay, but not amazing.

I agree, but op doesn't raid. Outside of raid dk is actually fun hard to believe maybe, but true
    Last edited by Akakishin; 2016-11-27 at 11:51 AM.
    green is the color!

frost is an easy, viable spec, strength lies in damage versatility, you can st, aoe, and cleave in the same build. Unholy is hot garbage. Blood is middle of the pack in tanking.

The only raiding I'd be doing is lfr so that's not an issue I'd just do mythic+ and world content with pvp

Both dps specs are viable, we're not top of the ladder but we're viable. Unholy never got nerfed, it just got less buffs to make it more viable compared to what happened with Frost (where it went from shit to viable). You can play either, and can do well with either spec.

Unholy was never nerfed, it just was never buffed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Unholy was never nerfed, it just was never buffed.
    doesn't change the fact.

Unholy got a huge deathcoil buff stop crying
    green is the color!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akakishin View Post
    Unholy got a huge deathcoil buff stop crying
    Took my dps straight back to the top of the charts, we're we've been consistently, since the beginning of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Both dps specs are viable, we're not top of the ladder but we're viable. Unholy never got nerfed, it just got less buffs to make it more viable compared to what happened with Frost (where it went from shit to viable). You can play either, and can do well with either spec.
    Unholy is viable but without legendary bracers its pretty bad.Frost is much better without legendaries.

gratz on world 3rd m9

second, tegu said there may be hope for dk dps in Nighthold with tier. hopefully the next round of 7.1.5 changes come out in our favor

I do hope so. My main competition with my dk would be with my dh. Just really not sure if it's going to be any more benefit for me to swap full time to the dk. Again I only do 5 mans, lfr and world content so no raiding really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zaino View Post
    gratz on world 3rd m9

second, tegu said there may be hope for dk dps in Nighthold with tier. hopefully the next round of 7.1.5 changes come out in our favor
    Wouldn't hold your breath for any changes in 7.1.5. Too much balance design time is being spent writing war and peace length forum posts to fire mages.

Pretty sure a Frost DK was in that Danish team who just down Helya Mythic he was about 5th on dmg / dps at the end. Not bad at all for a DK.

Mages were ahead of him, fire mages, which are getting a nerf next patch.

Deleted

Its really too bad you cannot infract someone for misinformation

Quote Originally Posted by Psykee View Post
    Its really too bad you cannot infract someone for misinformation
    Yea i wouldnt call Blood DK's decent at tanking at the mo. They are really awful when you put them next to a Druid / Pala / Warrior

I've been maining a DK since cata and I've recently rolled a ret paladin; It feels a lot more like what a DK should feel like, in my opinion -- purely from gameplay perspective. Frost is p. powerful at the moment but as people will tell you, blizzard hates non-mages being good for long, so I imagine both ret and frost will get nerfed soon. I hope not, but knowing Blizz its very likely.

tl;dr I hate mages. Frost DK is good numbers wise, if a bit boring to play / one-dimensional / slow. Unholy is a bit poopy. Blood is alright for solo / 5-mans, but still outclassed by other tanks because of lackluster rune generation not allowing you to take full advantage of deathstrike spam. I think it's still the highest single target dps tank, though.

Would you recommend a dk over a warlock in raiding? Specially mythic