Page 1 of 2
LastLast

community gardens

So should more communities have community gardens? I believe that it is a good resource for everyone in the community. Especially the homeless population and people on welfare. It provides fresh fruits and vegetables for free but people who are homeless or on welfare can earn the right to use the foods in them by working in the garden. Homeless people could help maintain the garden and keep it free of weeds, and bugs. My home town just started one where my old junior high school used to be and it's been a positive project for everyone. Heck people on welfare could help buy seeds for it with their food stamp cards. As far as I'm aware you are allowed to buy seeds with food stamp cards. The whole community benefits by everyone chipping in and everyone benefiting from the result of it. Everyone in the community could eat the vegetables and fruits.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

In my experience, they tend to function better when attended by the elderly, rather than people of working age.
    But yeah, they're nice to have around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a lot of homeless people where you live? This is the second thread you've made referencing them.

Not sure I've ever seen one in Malta, there is a mad bloke who walks around shouting at buildings, but he is fairly well groomed, so presumably not homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Do you have a lot of homeless people where you live? This is the second thread you've made referencing them.

Not sure I've ever seen one in Malta, there is a mad bloke who walks around shouting at buildings, but he is fairly well groomed, so presumably not homeless.
    Are you saying there isn't alot of homeless people in the United States?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Are you saying there isn't alot of homeless people in the United States?
    I have only been on holiday to New York and Houston, can't say I noticed many. Your dress sense is typically pretty awful though, so maybe they just blend in.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So should more communities have community gardens? I believe that it is a good resource for everyone in the community. Especially the homeless population and people on welfare. It provides fresh fruits and vegetables for free but people who are homeless or on welfare can earn the right to use the foods in them by working in the garden. Homeless people could help maintain the garden and keep it free of weeds, and bugs. My home town just started one where my old junior high school used to be and it's been a positive project for everyone. Heck people on welfare could help buy seeds for it with their food stamp cards. As far as I'm aware you are allowed to buy seeds with food stamp cards. The whole community benefits by everyone chipping in and everyone benefiting from the result of it. Everyone in the community could eat the vegetables and fruits.
    So your great idea is that people on welfare pay for it, nevermind already having very little money to begin with, thus being on welfare. And homeless + people on welfare have to work on it for free to earn privilege to use it? But anyone else who isn't homeless or on welfare gets automatic privileges by doing....crap all towards it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    We dont have any homeless people where I live and I would not want to attract them either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like your idea in general, but I think working in the garden should be paid with money, not vegetables and fruits.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not in my neighborhood. There's no way in hell that I'm going to put myself in a position to be shot over a vegetable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who says we don't have community gardens here already?

That said, I am fine with my own garden in my backyard.

I have only been on holiday to New York and Houston, can't say I noticed many. Your dress sense is typically pretty awful though, so maybe they just blend in.
    How do you go to New York and Houston and not notice the homeless?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    I don't recall seeing many, then again I wasn't looking for them and may not have noticed. I don't go on holiday to spot down and outs.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I like your idea in general, but I think working in the garden should be paid with money, not vegetables and fruits.
    We have some here. They're usually projects funded by schools; the kids can learn agriculture/gardening fundamentals, and the less fortunate in the community benefit from the produce.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    They where camouflage, blend in with the cockroaches.

He should try New Orleans if he wants a simple homeless person hunt.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    We dont have any homeless people where I live and I would not want to attract them either.
    Rich people do this where I live. I have a huge garden in my back yard though. Had over 40 tomato plants alone this year. Not community #Getoffmylawn.

I don't recall seeing many, then again I wasn't looking for them and may not have noticed. I don't go on holiday to spot down and outs.
    But it's Houston and New York. The latter is infested with the homeless and the reek of sewage, garbage, and urine. Very difficult not to notice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    That said, I am fine with my own garden in my backyard.

Nice garden you have there.

My experience with homeless people is that many(not all) do not want to work or do any kind of physical labor. Otherwise they would not be in the situation they are in today. Gardening includes both of these activities.
    With that said, there are many churches and homeless shelters that have self sustained gardens. A lot of the produce goes to low income families or is sold at farmers markets and the profits are returned to the church/shelter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm positive that this would be abused by people secretly harvesting all the stuff for themselves or to sell it for personal profit.

better not, otherwise those SJW's will probably turn it into one of their 'safe spaces'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judgedredd View Post
    better not, otherwise those SJW's will probably turn it into one of their 'safe spaces'.
    But... what... I don't even...

What the heck triggered you now?