Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    so is it just top URLs like google.com or everything you have done online in the last year cos its pissing me off reading different sites saying different things
    If it is similar to other cases I know of whre it was called "top URLs" then it is everything before the first slash after the domain name ("this.is.an.example.com/for-demonstration/only"->"this.is.an.example.com"), but that wouldn't include search string and would thus be useless for anything but snooping after random citizens.
    So we would need to know if they specify what is to be called "top URLs" in that law or if that is up for interpretation (one of those would be "top URLs"="all URLs").

no worry the UK citizens will be able to take their grievance to EU courts and are protected by EU laws.

oh wait no. UK citizens will just have to brexit vote this.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    no worry the UK citizens will be able to take their grievance to EU courts and are protected by EU laws.

oh wait no. UK citizens will just have to brexit vote this.
    This might be brought before the ECHR (again) which is not affected by Brexit at all (since it is not part of the EU).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure the EU would be very sympathetic to the opposition of a spying law that empowers the government and disempowers the citizens. Rofl.

This fucking guy.
    They generally are, and have made such decisions in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    This is nothing new, MI5, MI6 and GCHQ have been using this level of surveillance for the best part of two decades. What this legislation does is legalise the extreme survailance used by our security services, and make the gathered data available to a whole new set of government bodies.
    Wasn't that one already ruled to be a breach of human rights by the ECHR?

Deleted
    RT news says they can only view your top site URLS as did bbc radio 4,

This is nothing new, MI5, MI6 and GCHQ have been using this level of surveillance for the best part of two decades. What this legislation does is legalise the extreme survailance used by our security services, and make the gathered data available to a whole new set of government bodies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inve...owers_Act_2016
    that is truly amazing.

but truthfully, we should not be surprised that we are spied on. I remember reading that we had the highest number of surveillance cameras per head in the world.

And did they give a defínition for "top site URLS"? Or is that up to interpretation by the agencies?

Deleted
    a top site URL is like google.com or something they said, so apparently they cant see your links pics or movies you have watched and i think this is the revised version of the bill that is going through

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure the EU would be very sympathetic to the opposition of a spying law that empowers the government and disempowers the citizens. Rofl.

This fucking guy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Retention_Directive

I don't know if it's worth mentioning that this mass surveillance law came into force when the UK was the head of the EU council. The law was later (2014) ruled unconstitutional. If I didn't know any better I'd say that the UK is obsessed with surveillance.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    like they have the storage for 65 million peoples google searches lol, stop believing mainstream media that they monitor everything, and webcam hacking people was doing that many years ago.havnt you read what the current status of the bill is,they cant look at your entire web history cos there isnt enough storage or money to do that, and at the end a human analyst still has to sift through all that shit you really think there gonna do that, its top level domains only just think of how many links 65 million brits visit each day. ive visted over 100 different links on different sites today maybe more and im just 1 person so times that by 65 million

like they have the storage for 65 million peoples google searches lol, stop believing mainstream media that they monitor everything, and webcam hacking people was doing that many years ago.havnt you read what the current status of the bill is,they cant look at your entire web history cos there isnt enough storage or money to do that, and at the end a human analyst still has to sift through all that shit you really think there gonna do that, its top level domains only just think of how many links 65 million brits visit each day. ive visted over 100 different links on different sites today maybe more and im just 1 person so times that by 65 million
    Uhm yeah they do have the storage. If you really believe they don't then I don't know what to say.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see no problem with this law. People should not have any thing to fear unless they are doing something illegal anyway and using the internet as a tool to do it. In which case, they deserve to be caught.

Your ISP has complete records of every single piece of data that came and went from your connection. This bill gives government organizations full access to those records. It is literally everything. It would be pretty useless if it only gave them 'top-level' website records.

It also gives them the right to read your emails, and even hack into your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I see no problem with this law. People should not have any thing to fear unless they are doing something illegal anyway and using the internet as a tool to do it. In which case, they deserve to be caught.
    So you'd be perfectly fine with a team of cops, tax investigators, secret service etc all standing outside your windows, staring into your home 24/7 recording every single thing you do, reading all your mail and tapping your phone, 'just in case' you do something illegal?

Why should it be any different for your internet?
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2016-11-29 at 02:33 PM.

Deleted
    and any criminal with a braincell will just use a VPN or TOR to bypass this stupid law, only way to make this law work is to also ban proxy servers in the UK aswell

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Your ISP has complete records of every single piece of data that came and went from your connection. This bill gives government organizations full access to those records. It is literally everything. It would be pretty useless if it only gave them 'top-level' website records.

It also gives them the right to read your emails, and even hack into your computer.
    no its top level domains only been reported on RTnews and other credible sources, they wont give every single piece of data so i dnt know where u are getting that info from please link a source or i call bs, what im saying has been backed up by alot of news sites even mainstream media aswell and 3rd party news sites also, your BS has only been seen in a early draft of the bill, so please do your reasearch before scaring people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

So you'd be perfectly fine with a team of cops, tax investigators, secret service etc all standing outside your windows, staring into your home 24/7 recording every single thing you do, reading all your mail and tapping your phone, 'just in case' you do something illegal?

Why should it be any different for your internet?
    The difference is the internet is wide open to the world. A home can be more private. Out in the pubic, not so much. I accept the fact my actions on the internet can draw unwanted attraction if I am doing something illegal on it. Same can be said if I have a meth lab in my home for a business. Anything I do which is illegal both in the home and internet, I deserve the attention I get.

- - - Updated - - -

It an awful lot of trust to put in government and their various agencies.
    Only those who are doing something illegal should fear.

Deleted
    Yeah until they make something illegal that is currently legal. Then there is suddenly a written record of you doing something illegal for years. Presumably such a new law isn't retroactive, but you will still suddenly be on all kinds of tracking lists.

Chances are you will also end up on various other watch lists (including terrorist ones) if they do the not uncommon "2 hops away contacts". aka if a friend of your friend is a criminal, you get put on a list.

And that's all considering your government is benign. God forbid if a more extreme government ever comes to power and such a track record exists.

fun example where I live is our tax agency tracks car plates with cameras, and then they delete the data after 6 months. sounds fine. Then suddenly the police was copying this data and storing it indefinitely, cause that data turned out to be real useful to them. Fucking illegal but you know they just found some loophole/changed the law eventually. This kind of data ALWAYS ends up being used for stuff it wasn't intended for, best intentions don't matter.

Ofc minority report is a quite likely end result of this. combine tracking all data with machine learning algorithms, and in no time (some) crime will be predictable. and what happens then?
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-11-29 at 03:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Governments and laws change all the time. Who knows, maybe in the future they will be after your guns.
    If they changed the Constitution and thus the law, they would have the legal right to. Then the choice would be mine to obey and turn them in or hide them. Ether way, I would deserve what happens based on the law at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Yeah until they make something illegal that is currently legal. Then there is suddenly a written record of you doing something illegal for years. Presumably such a new law isn't retroactive, but you will still suddenly be on all kinds of tracking lists.

Chances are you will also end up on various other watch lists (including terrorist ones) if they do the not uncommon "2 hops away contacts". aka if a friend of your friend is a criminal, you get put on a list.

And that's all considering your government is benign. God forbid if a more extreme government ever comes to power and such a track record exists.

fun example where I live is our tax agency tracks car plates with cameras, and then they delete the data after 6 months. sounds fine. Then suddenly the police was copying this data and storing it indefinitely, cause that data turned out to be real useful to them. Fucking illegal but you know they just found some loophole/changed the law eventually. This kind of data ALWAYS ends up being used for stuff it wasn't intended for, best intentions don't matter.

Ofc minority report is a quite likely end result of this. combine tracking all data with machine learning algorithms, and in no time (some) crime will be predictable. and what happens then?
    Of course laws can be changed. Last time I checked, they are not ones written on stone tablets.

Deleted

Of course laws can be changed. Last time I checked, they are not ones written on stone tablets.
    Indeed, the law is no stone tablet, however your lifes history will soon be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

Down with this sort of thing.
    Didn't expect a Father Ted joke in here.

Well played sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Indeed, the law is no stone tablet, however your lifes history will soon be.
    Well, so far it has been a great experience. And for sure I do not fear death as it is something we all will face one day. I am prepared. But I do not think spying on my internet activity is a threat to my happiness in this world. lol! The main reason is, I do not do things on the internet which is illegal.