Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Ego and stupidity is some of it. By default many think they aren't ever the negative statistic people talk or worry about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I have a friend who was drunk driving, hit another car, the driver of the other car died. The driver of the other car was the sheriff's daughter. They nailed my friend and sent him to prison for 24 years. He got out on parole after 10.

That's enough for me to not drink and drive. I don't drink anyways. I don't like being out of control and I don't need it to relax. Alcohol makes people do some really dumb stuff.
    10 years for murder seems like a slap on the hand.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

There should be an IQ test followed by a more rigorous driving test to get a drivers license...
    The are a lot of fucking idiots on the roads.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohangz View Post
    Its one of those things everyone knows isn't smart but does it, and to be fair when most people say they are "fine" to drive there not lying there's a difference having 4-5 drinks in a few hours and having 12-15.
    Sigh. Another one of those....

Yes there is a difference. One increases your odds of having a collision by a factor of 10, the other by a factor of 100. Just because one is more stupid than the other, doesn't make the other less stupid.

If you want to be reasonably safe, your body can probably process about 1 drink per hour. So if you have have 4-5 drinks over a period of 5 hours and then had another hour of no more drinking, you'll likely be mostly good. Most people though tend to understate how many drinks they have had and overestimate their recovery time. A much smarter strategy if you want to have 4-5 drinks is plan not to drive for at least 12 hours.

I have only driven home one time super blasted like 15-20 beers/cocktails I instantly new it was a mistake when i started driving had the spins and shit i was scared tbh so i was super focused no radio and no talking would never do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohangz View Post
    Edit- and i know this isn't going to sound nice but most people get in car crashes from drinking and driving are shit drivers already the booze just makes it worse
    Citation maybe? My concern with this type of comment is that a lot of people will use this kind of thinking to justify why they don't really need to be as concerned as other people when it comes to drink driving. A far more constructive attitude is simply to accept that when you drink, you become the shit driver who is the problem, regardless of how good you may be at driving when you're sober.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Much though I abhor people who drink and drive and agree that harsh penalties are needed, it isn't murder. It's culpable homicide due to reckless and negligent behaviour. The qualifier for murder is that the person who committed it did so with the intention of killing the other person and bad though it is when a drunk driver kills a person, purposely setting out to kill another human being is even more heinous.

As for whether 10 years is enough of a punishment, I would argue that it depends on the individual. If said person is now a meticulously careful driver and will never touch alcohol again (nor do anything else equally irresponsible) then I would have to say that the punishment is sufficient. On the other hand, if said person is ever found to be behind the wheel of a car with any alcohol in him at all, then I would say toss him back in prison for the rest of his life with no possibility of parole.

Hmf...people text and drive...

The worse thing about either (texting and drinking) is that when the inevitable happens, it fucks up someone else more so that the impaired shithead.

Ego and stupidity is some of it. By default many think they aren't ever the negative statistic people talk or worry about.

- - - Updated - - -

It is enough of a determent for me. I don't want to spend one year or even one week in an American prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Sigh. Another one of those....

Yes there is a difference. One increases your odds of having a collision by a factor of 10, the other by a factor of 100. Just because one is more stupid than the other, doesn't make the other less stupid.

If you want to be reasonably safe, your body can probably process about 1 drink per hour. So if you have have 4-5 drinks over a period of 5 hours and then had another hour of no more drinking, you'll likely be mostly good. Most people though tend to understate how many drinks they have had and overestimate their recovery time. A much smarter strategy if you want to have 4-5 drinks is plan not to drive for at least 12 hours.

I have only driven home one time super blasted like 15-20 beers/cocktails I instantly new it was a mistake when i started driving had the spins and shit i was scared tbh so i was super focused no radio and no talking would never do it again.

Citation maybe? My concern with this type of comment is that a lot of people will use this kind of thinking to justify why they don't really need to be as concerned as other people when it comes to drink driving. A far more constructive attitude is simply to accept that when you drink, you become the shit driver who is the problem, regardless of how good you may be at driving when you're sober.

- - - Updated - - -

Much though I abhor people who drink and drive and agree that harsh penalties are needed, it isn't murder. It's culpable homicide due to reckless and negligent behaviour. The qualifier for murder is that the person who committed it did so with the intention of killing the other person and bad though it is when a drunk driver kills a person, purposely setting out to kill another human being is even more heinous.

As for whether 10 years is enough of a punishment, I would argue that it depends on the individual. If said person is now a meticulously careful driver and will never touch alcohol again (nor do anything else equally irresponsible) then I would have to say that the punishment is sufficient. On the other hand, if said person is ever found to be behind the wheel of a car with any alcohol in him at all, then I would say toss him back in prison for the rest of his life with no possibility of parole.
    A person made a series of choices that lead to the death of another, jump through whatever verbage you want. Wrongfully killing somebody is murder even if a court might call it something else.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    A person made a series of choices that lead to the death of another, jump through whatever verbage you want.
    My "verbage" does not in any way contradict this, nor was it ever intended to do so.

Wrongfully killing somebody is murder even if a court might call it something else.
    It really is not. Sure there are similarilities, but we make a distinction and have different words because there are fundamental differences between the two acts, even if the final outcome is the same.

Murder is different from culpable homicide (or involuntary manslaughter in the US) in that murder requires the intent to kill. Which makes murder the worse crime (without in any way diminishing the severity of a culpable homicide).
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2016-11-29 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    My "verbage" does not in any way contradict this, nor was it ever intended to do so.

It really is not. Sure there are similarilities, but we make a distinction and have different words because there are fundamental differences between the two acts, even if the final outcome is the same.

Murder is different from culpable homicide (or involuntary manslaughter in the US) in that murder requires the intent to kill. Which makes murder the worse crime (without in any way diminishing the severity of a culpable homicide).
    Allowing yourself to do something so foolish it can easily result in the death or harm of another is just as bad as setting out to do it in my mind. It isn't an accident if you drive drunk and kill somebody, we all know it is a dumb thing to do. A choice is made that you driving is more important then the safety of others and yourself. You see it your way and many people do. Hell many would argue that people are punished for DUI in the US based on what they could do not what they did do. So the laws flip flop on interpreting the responsibility of the drunk driver depending on what they are charged with. Drive drunk get punished like you hit somebody. Actually hit somebody while drunk get punished based on it being an accident. Another topic for another time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Sure. That doesn't make it moral.
    Morality is a point of view -- a perspective. If you're harming no one but yourself, why should it be immoral?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    There are still over thousands of deaths a year to impaired driving and and over 1000 cases a week of impired drivers being caught in North America.

What gives? Are humans really that stupid or lazy to understand that its dangerous and careless.
    It's almost like they are not thinking clearly when they make this decision...

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    im more concerned about stoners driving than a guy that drank one beer when eating lunch and drove back to work.
    I don't think anyone would be concerned about a guy who drank one beer. A cop won't even give a shit about that. Even if you're 120 lbs and you drink one beer on an empty stomach, you might blow a whopping .01. It's when you get 4+ beers in that it may become a concern.

Personally, I've been pulled over after like 8-ish beers over a 2 hour period. I blew a .05. The legal limit in Wisconsin is .08 so I got off just fine. Still scared the shit out of me though and I haven't drove after drinking that much since then.

Still, I've never driven completely shitfaced before where I was actually endangering my life. I know what it's like to be completely blasted being a Wisconsinite and all, but even then you should still have the presence of mind to realize that you shouldn't drive. I still do anyways. I've decided to sleep at a friends house several times before after having a few too many 6 packs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    That doesn't sound right at all. The point a breathalyzer would say you're driving intoxicated is well before you'd "feel drunk."
    That's simply not true. My friend has a breathalyzer and let me tell you, when I blow a .08 or higher (legal limit here in Wisconsin) I definitely feel drunk. Not wasted, but certainly drunk.

I suppose that depends on what the legal limit is where you are though. It varies from state to state.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2016-11-29 at 04:59 PM.

In france its allowed to drink and drive,and if 2 drunk drivers crash into each other,the one with the highest percent of alchohol get the blame.

Alcohol is for weak people, in the first place. Them thinking they're special and can drive in that state is just proving how weak they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Alcohol is for weak people, in the first place. Them thinking they're special and can drive in that state is just proving how weak they are.
    Not sure what it is about alcohol that makes you think it's for "weak" people. What do you mean by weak anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    You shouldn't be. There's an old adage that goes something like, "A drunk driver will run a stop sign, a stoned driver will wait for it to turn green."
    Nice quote. And remember "Why drink and drive, when you can smoke and fly?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    Drinking and driving is kinda difficult, that's why people usually drink first, then drive.
    And sometimes after - especially if there was an accident: http://www.srhunterlaw.com/Alcohol-C...After-Accident
    (Assuming the law-makers haven't woken up yet.)

There are still over thousands of deaths a year to impaired driving and and over 1000 cases a week of impired drivers being caught in North America.

What gives? Are humans really that stupid or lazy to understand that its dangerous and careless.
    I have a question to ask that may give some light on this situation.

Studies have shown that texting and driving is more dangerous then drinking and driving.

Have you ever texted while driving? Do you think texting and driving is okay ?

If yes to either then you can really compare it well to drinking while driving.

Now lets turn this into a game of fill in the blanks.

1. But I am good at ______ and driving.

2. I _____ and driving because it was an emergency.

3. It isn't that bad to _____ and driving.

4. I _____ and drove before and was fine.

I can keep making the list longer but what I am trying to show here is that people are idiots, they think it is okay to do a lot of things not realizing how dangerous it is or that they did it once and were fine so why can't they do it again. In reality it is how the human brain works, we figure out what the problem is and decide to ignore the solution because it isn't "convenient".

Don't drink and drive.... Don't text and drive....

Being impaired from drinking causes people to make impaired decisions. Who knew?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    My dumbass walked 5 miles home drunk before. Still beats a DUI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Because people go out, have a good time and get drunk, but maybe they feel fine, they think there is nothing wrong with their hand-eye coordination, and they don't have any other way to get home, so they go, "fuck it, I'm driving home, it's only a couple miles and I'll be fine."

My ex was like that and I gave her shit about it every time she did it. Thank God she doesn't drink much these days, especially since she has our son most of the time.
    What a great example of contradiction in once sentence.
    If you can't walk couple of miles because you drunk - you shouldn't be driving. Call a fucking taxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

People still think angels are real, its not like we have a great base of common sense to go off of.