Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Also the rampant guild poaching that kept many guilds stuck in t4 content due to losing their best members to t5 and t6 guilds looking to replace burned-out tanks and healers. That was a big issue on my server especially as we only had a couple t5 and t6 guilds, and they all poached like it was open season on the nature preserve.
    I saw a lot of that in my guild, as well. We were one of the further progressed guilds on a somewhat backwater server, and the poaching rates of geared tanks and healers was pretty extreme. With a limited talent pool you'd also see a lot of yo-yo players - they'd leave for greener or more lucrative pastures, find out they weren't on easy street insofar as drops were concerned, and then come back and try to act as if nothing had happened. Lots of distrust, recrimination, and overall drama - and that was before M'uru broke the spine of the guild and gave our raid leader a nervous breakdown.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I saw a lot of that in my guild, as well. We were one of the further progressed guilds on a somewhat backwater server, and the poaching rates of geared tanks and healers was pretty extreme. With a limited talent pool you'd also see a lot of yo-yo players - they'd leave for greener or more lucrative pastures, find out they weren't on easy street insofar as drops were concerned, and then come back and try to act as if nothing had happened. Lots of distrust, recrimination, and overall drama - and that was before M'uru broke the spine of the guild and gave our raid leader a nervous breakdown.
    Yeah, all that noise is what made me drop raiding and stick to dungeons and world content from Wrath onward. Less drama, less stress, and just paling around with guildies while smashing through HoR (though pugged DPS that didn't know how to line-of-sight trash between Falric and Marwyn still makes me a sad panda).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Lol people are 100% blinded by nostalgia and it's hilarious.
    Like, how could you get a stage 3 crafted sword when you couldn't kill anything to get into TK/SSC in the first place, then to actually get vortices handed to you? Lol.

People are confusing post ioqd BC and pre ioqd BC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Never has there been free epics like Molten core in vanilla

There i said it.
    That's idiotic. Only a small percentage of players actually completed MC during vanilla. It might seem easy now, but it wasn't back then.

Even if you go back to a private server to try the original MC it is still relatively hard. Maybe the boss mechanics are too simple compared to today's gameplay, but the abilities you had were also much more basic. And let's not forget the much harsher core gameplay, like threat and mana management, resistance gear, managing 40 people, etc.

You can't just walk right into MC today and say it's easy compared to max level content. You have to judge it in the setting that is vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    That's idiotic. Only a small percentage of players actually completed MC during vanilla. It might seem easy now, but it wasn't back then.

Even if you go back to a private server to try the original MC it is still relatively hard. Maybe the boss mechanics are too simple compared to today's gameplay, but the abilities you had were also much more basic. And let's not forget the much harsher core gameplay, like threat and mana management, resistance gear, managing 40 people, etc.

You can't just walk right into MC today and say it's easy compared to max level content. You have to judge it in the setting that is vanilla.
    I'd love to see a dps that started in Wrath go back and try going balls to the wall on a pull from the get go. A lot of restraint was required in the old days.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    I'd love to see a dps that started in Wrath go back and try going balls to the wall on a pull from the get go. A lot of restraint was required in the old days.
    I remember, distinctly, wanting to strangle one of our rogues for constantly going balls-deep into a boss before I could stack my sunders in MC. I wanna say it was Lucifron? He'd do this shit every time we pulled the guy, we'd lose like five people because Taunt cooldown sucks balls, and finally get things back under control after he got merked.

Come to think of it, that guy is probably why I don't tank anymore. One dumbass killed an entire role for me.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post

I raided MC when it was current. It felt difficult for a number of reasons at the time, but let's not kid ourselves. Most 40 mans teams consisted of 10-15 great raiders and the rest "friends and family" level. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but most of the difficulty was not in the raid mechanics themselves.

That said, anyone who talks about "free epics like Molten core in vanilla" is a fool. 40 people killed a raid boss and 2-3 pieces of loot dropped. Boom! Purples started flowing a bit more once ZG and AQ20 were opened, but it was a much slower process. I guess I also shouldn't forget T+0.5, which were technically epic, but even that took more effort than epics today.

All that aside, it's just a color. Why care if they're purple and easy to get?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    I remember, distinctly, wanting to strangle one of our rogues for constantly going balls-deep into a boss before I could stack my sunders in MC. I wanna say it was Lucifron? He'd do this shit every time we pulled the guy, we'd lose like five people because Taunt cooldown sucks balls, and finally get things back under control after he got merked.

Come to think of it, that guy is probably why I don't tank anymore. One dumbass killed an entire role for me.
    Vael was simultaneously a joy and pain to raid lead and tank. Threat is so much easier now, especially AoE tanking.

Deleted
    The complaints I remember:
    Disclaimer: Those are not my complaints, just the ones I remember being argumented about.

1) How Arenas ruined PvP
    2) The general space goat theme
    3) Raids going down to 25 man (and even 10 man for karazhan)
    4) Horde paladins
    5) Alliance shamans
    6) Blood Elves being overly sexualized
    7) The 'new' form of Draenei (and how this new form is way too sexual appealing)
    before, the only depictions of Draenei existing in the game were the ones now called Broken
    8) Only being able to play Shaman/Paladin classes with the new races
    9) Blood Elf paladins being superior to Alliance paladins
    10) Alliance paladins being superior to Blood Elf paladins
    11) The introduction of flying in general
    12) How flying ruined the open world experience and open world PvP
    13) Overpowered mages
    14) Hybrid classes being able to do damage equal to pure DD classes
    15) Hybrid classes not being able to do damage equal to pure DD classes
    16) Waiting time for dungeons is too high
    17) Heroic dungeons are way too hard
    18) Heroic dungeons give welfare epics
    20) Flying necessary to reach some dungeons
    21) Flying overpriced
    22) Flying too cheap
    23) Druids getting way too much special treatment (flying form quest)
    24) PvPers get better flying than PvE players - for free (the gladiator dragons)
    25) Welfare epics by only afking in Arenas
    26) Overpowered Druids
    27) Gating of the sunwell island
    28) Terrace of the Magister 'PvP' boss (the multi target, aggro insensitive boss just before Kael'thas)
    29) Terrace of the Magister is just re-used content
    30) Demon hunters not being a playable class
    31) The fel reaver
    32) Shattered hall in general
    33) Shattered hall attunement quest (and the need to kill the fel reaver)
    34) The concept of the Naru

The only widespread complaints I can remember were epics being too easy to obtain, and resto druids / SLSL warlocks / warglaive rogues in pvp. I don't remember people whining about shadow labs, I remember it as a popular dungeon. People hated shattered halls more. Most of the points in the post above me weren't widespread at all.

Arena was hugely popular because it was the first time that rewards were directly tied to skill, everyone was playing it at the time. Pvp tournaments never managed to get the same mainstream interest as those MLG tournaments back in TBC. Raiders sometimes whined about pvp weapons because they were too shit to hit 1800 rating or whatever it was and get it themselves. FAR more people were doing arena than raiding back then, and raiding was really easy too. At the end of TBC I remember some top US pvpers pugged sunwell in their pvp gear and got to Mu'ru which was where the top pve guilds were also.

But genuinely that expansion was such a massive improvement on vanilla that it was hard to complain about anything.
    Last edited by lolpve; 2016-12-02 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iMemberClassic View Post
    --snip--
    Thanks for the memories!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
    Thanks for the memories!
    You 'member too?

I recall being new in TBC, had loved Warcraft since WC2 but I didnt get invested into WoW until TBC launch. Anyway I recall a conversation in guild with some people who were mad that TBC had been launched and ruined the game for them. One of those same people also got mad at me when I asked about the South Park episode, I wanted to know if it was really possible to get to max level by farming boars in the forest. It was a serious question, I just didn't know.

Anyway that person got really mad at me, noticebly upset and didn't answer my question leaving me slightly bewildered, confused and amused. But yeah anyway I remember a lot of people being upset or mad about TBC, not liking it or aspects of it in many ways. The 40 man raiders were especially vocal at how shit they thought 25man raiding was... Really there were a lot of mad people back then just like now, TBC is revered as we look back but at the time even though it was exceptionally popular it had a lot of hate.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
    Thanks for the memories!
    Damn you, Fel Reaver, sneaking up to someone like that!!

10+ Year Old Account
    there were complaints in every expansion, even in vanilla we had WoW is dying threads :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    I remember some folks whinging about epics being too easy to get but wasn't it one per heroic iirc? Look at it now.. Other than that it was just lazy people whining because they were lazy. Funny seeing people complain about dungeons because they were hard or areas gated. It was an amazing expansion, probably the best imo. I'm not a lore nerd so that side of it doesn't bother me in the slightest but the content was fantastic and from my point of view the story telling was pretty cool.

The raids were probably the best I've ever done. SSC/TK/BT/SUNWELL etc were amazing, even the smaller ones to an extent. Not to mention Kara.. The heroics were hard in places which was perfect. Arena PvP arrived, which was great, a lot of those complaints came from scrubs. There was actually some work to do..

It peaked then for me. Each expansion since has got progressively worse until Legion (which still has more bad than good and isn't at TBCs level).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I recall being new in TBC, had loved Warcraft since WC2 but I didnt get invested into WoW until TBC launch. Anyway I recall a conversation in guild with some people who were mad that TBC had been launched and ruined the game for them. One of those same people also got mad at me when I asked about the South Park episode, I wanted to know if it was really possible to get to max level by farming boars in the forest. It was a serious question, I just didn't know.

Anyway that person got really mad at me, noticebly upset and didn't answer my question leaving me slightly bewildered, confused and amused. But yeah anyway I remember a lot of people being upset or mad about TBC, not liking it or aspects of it in many ways. The 40 man raiders were especially vocal at how shit they thought 25man raiding was... Really there were a lot of mad people back then just like now, TBC is revered as we look back but at the time even though it was exceptionally popular it had a lot of hate.
    Nah looking back at TBC it was still shit. WoW has gotten better every expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    Nah looking back at TBC it was still shit. WoW has gotten better every expansion.
    This is laughable.

Deleted
    A lot. I remember warriors and resto druids being completely imbalanced. Just imagine a resto druid of today with a spammable lifebloom on multiple targets. And a warrior whose damage you cant counter.

Remember tank paladins with passive mitigation being the only viable group tank..

I remember classes without CC not finding groups using the LF channel, as most dungeons needed choreographed CC.

I remember a linear progression system which made raid guilds to slaughter other raid guilds to fill slots.

The toxic community started with TBC, when guilds fought for raid members those days.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2016-12-02 at 04:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yograin View Post
    Legion is much better than TBC was.
    haha, you funny.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here are a few I remember off hand:

1) You farmed shadow gear for hours to kill Lady Sharraz the first time. Then immediately never wear it again.
    2) Prior to 2.4 you had to complete SSC and Eye to get into BT. This attunement quest was excessively long.
    3) If your warrior tank wasn't available for illidan's shear, you weren't going to kill him.
    4) You should have a paladin tank for Tidewater and Hyjal. Other then that, they weren't needed.
    5) Best weapon for paladin tank was best weapon for Mages.
    6) Mages were used to get to Bloodboil then sat for the boss because it was too hard to keep more then one of them alive.
    7) Alt mages were brought in the clear the trash in sunwell, then you switched back to you main.
    8) Your going to sunwell? Your main is a leatherworker for Drums right?
    9) Boomkin T6 was only Intellect leather chest piece. It came off Illidan and everyone else should be given priority over the boomkin.
    10) Boomkin got mana back from swinging melee weapon at boss.