Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The second you invoke Hitler in serious political discourse, any and all credibility you might have utterly vanishes.

Fun fact - Hitler was an ideologue, very significantly anti-Jew to his core.

Trump is just an incoherent mad-man.

The correct historical comparison would be Trump is like Mussolini - we just have to hope someone like Hitler doesn't come along and start controlling Trump as Hitler did to Mussolini.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's becoming pretty clear you're not understanding the point of this and many other similar threads/stories. And it's also clear you don't really know the definition of ridiculous. Perhaps you should actually read the entire article, you know, just in case you wanted to know what you were trying to understand, before commenting on it and embarrassing yourself.

Your analogy in the second paragraph borders on pathetic and only demonstrates that you actually don't understand what is going on - which is both curious and sad.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah - it doesn't even work with that word. But don't worry about it - grammar and logic don't go well when daring to criticize the behavior of your God-King. MAGA!

- - - Updated - - -

It was actually a huge fraud machine designed to make Trump rich off the backs of ordinary people. See any parallels?
    It's funny to me how you try to talk in such an impressive manner as if it somehow makes your point any more relevant, even when you obviously don't fully grasp the way to do so. I'm not here to argue semantics with you, and to bring it up is obviously just an attempt to garner attention and bait me into losing my mind over nothing. The article you linked is ridiculously bias and barely even makes a point outside, of course, the fact that the author doesn't like the fact that Trump is celebrating his victory with the people who supported him. Granted, I don't neccasarily find class in the way he is holding himself, but he does not claim to be classy, he claims to be one of the people who supported him. You may not like what he does, and that's fine, but attempting to fear monger with these kinds of articles, trying to argue for something you very much know has no point, is a silly distraction. It accomplishes nothing, it divides people more, and it makes you look like an uneducated, or at the very least naive, individual trying desperately to prove his point.
    Frankly, though, this thread should not even exist. It's a nothing thread, it's a bait thread meant only to bring people to flame each other. I hope you have fun with it at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    The second you invoke Hitler in serious political discourse, any and all credibility you might have utterly vanishes.
    One has to be careful with that proposition - as it will mean the next time someone like Hitler does turn up, people will be too scared to point it out.

Suffice to say - US/EU today is very very similar to Europe in the 1930s, however Trump is not the Hitler figure of the comparison.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive View Post
    It's funny to me how you try to talk in such an impressive manner as if it somehow makes your point any more relevant. I'm not here to argue semantics with you, and to bring it up is obviously just an attempt to garner attention and bait me into losing my mind over nothing. The article you linked is ridiculously bias and barely even makes a point outside, of course, the fact that the author doesn't like the fact that Trump is celebrating his victory with the people who supported him. Granted, I don't neccasarily find class in the way he is holding himself, but he does not claim to be classy, he claims to be one of the people who supported him. You may not like what he does, and that's fine, but attempting to fear monger with these kinds of articles, trying to argue for something you very much know has no point, is a silly distraction. It accomplishes nothing, it divides people more, and it makes you look like an uneducated, or at the very least naive, individual trying desperately to prove his point.
    Frankly, though, this thread should not even exist. It's a nothing thread, it's a bait thread meant only to bring people to flame each other. I hope you have fun with it at the least.
    Nothing you say here is true. It's not a bait thread. The article isn't ridiculous. The point is very subtle and valid. You just don't understand it. I can't help your ignorance if you're not willing to listen to viewpoints with which you disagree. How can you participate in a conversation if you've already made up your mind?

I'm certainly open to the idea that the article is way off base - but I'm not dismissing it because I disagree. Why are you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    One has to be careful with that proposition - as it will mean the next time someone like Hitler does turn up, people will be too scared to point it out.

Suffice to say - US/EU today is very very similar to Europe in the 1930s, however Trump is not the Hitler figure of the comparison.
    I don't understand what you mean by that last part (that I italicized). Could you clarify?

Deleted
    Anyone who ever said Hillary was gonna start a war and was involved in secret jewish banker cults is unallowed to call this stupid. Sane people are, however, free to do so. But the majority of Trump fans on this forum are not.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's becoming pretty clear you're not understanding the point of this and many other similar threads/stories. And it's also clear you don't really know the definition of ridiculous. Perhaps you should actually read the entire article, you know, just in case you wanted to know what you were trying to understand, before commenting on it and embarrassing yourself.

Your analogy in the second paragraph borders on pathetic and only demonstrates that you actually don't understand what is going on - which is both curious and sad.
    There is no point to this or similar threads, they are childish nonsense using tenuous comparisons to demonise anyone you don't like as Hitler.

He held a victory rally and unless you think the worst thing Hitler did was hold rallies, then it is just pathetic to even bring it up.

Nothing you say here is true. It's not a bait thread. The article isn't ridiculous. The point is very subtle and valid. You just don't understand it. I can't help your ignorance if you're not willing to listen to viewpoints with which you disagree. How can you participate in a conversation if you've already made up your mind?

I'm certainly open to the idea that the article is way off base - but I'm not dismissing it because I disagree. Why are you?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand what you mean by that last part (that I italicized). Could you clarify?
    Then explain it, because its apparent your the only one that understands the subtle genius in it. You linked a bad article, made a flamey thread title, then proceeded to call everyone a moron, so I fail to see how your attempting conversation.

Whilst the comparison between 1930s Europe and current US/EU are unmistakable, Trump doesn't have any solid ideology behind him that drove Hitler directly.

Trump is just incoherent, and an opportunist (some call him pragmatist - but I think that too generous).

That is - whilst the setting is the same, the current actors are not.

The danger is that setting is ripe for someone like Hitler to reappear, and to gain power of sorts over the fluidity of someone like Trump.

We have to be careful that cries of Godwin's law do not hide from us discussion of real Hitler like figures that could turn up.

The article is completely ridiculous. You expose your bias by not seeing it. As someone above pointed out, it attempts to imply that since Trump and Hitler did a similar thing, that they are equatable in other ways. This is a logical fallacy.

You drink water? You're Hitler!
    You have two legs? You're Hitler!
    You have an opinion about things? You're Hitler!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    There is no point to this or similar threads, they are childish nonsense using tenuous comparisons to demonise anyone you don't like as Hitler.

He held a victory rally and unless you think the worst thing Hitler did was hold rallies, then it is just pathetic to even bring it up.
    You just keep proving my point.

You don't understand or have any basic knowledge of history. You clearly didn't even read the article, which is adorable (ridiculous?), and you don't really know what Fascism is or how it started in Germany.

Try reading something before commenting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    That is an invalid counter argument, by around 1933 (the equivalent point we are at in the current comparison) - Hitler had done very little.

However - whilst your counter argument is invalid, Hitler had a stronger ideology to drive him to what he did compared to Trump.

You just keep proving my point.

You don't understand or have any basic knowledge of history. You clearly didn't even read the article, which is adorable (ridiculous?), and you don't really know what Fascism is or how it started in Germany.

Try reading something before commenting on it.
    Nice discussion

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamorallo View Post
    The article is completely ridiculous. You expose your bias by not seeing it. As someone above pointed out, it attempts to imply that since Trump and Hitler did a similar thing, that they are equatable in other ways. This is a logical fallacy.

You drink water? You're Hitler!
    You have two legs? You're Hitler!
    You have an opinion about things? You're Hitler!
    Again, you seem to not understand the word ridiculous. You commenting on something you haven't read is ridiculous. What you are claiming isn't what the article is doing - and in fact mocks itself for even implying (but you don't know this because you didn't read it - lol).

But keep posting and embarrassing yourself with your ignorance.

15+ Year Old Account
    There haven't been any political victory tours like the ones Trump is doing since Hitler's Germany. The article objectively points out that there will always be historical parallels, regardless of other similarities. However, there is a little concern to be had.

Have any of you listened to his speeches? They aren't even scripted. It's disturbing.
    This is why the left lost is because of grandiose statements comparing Trump to Hitler. The media and some on the left kept throwing that into people's faces and people weren't gonna buy that.

This right here is one of main reasons why Trump won. Instead of attacking him on legitimate issues you create this narrative that he is the next Hitler.

I personally don't like that trump is becoming president and would have rather have Hillary even though i don't like her either.

There are issues I have with trump but him becoming the next Hitler is far from one of them.

BTW it doesn't matter whether or not the article is claiming that these comparisons are ridiculous the fact that they are doing so and create a title called "Trump’s Victory Tour First Of Its Kind Since Hitler’s Nuremberg Rallies" is just click bait and all it's doing is trying to do is get more clicks.
    Last edited by sluggs; 2016-12-04 at 10:58 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive View Post
    Nice discussion
    It's hard to have a discussion with someone who hasn't bothered to read the issue being discussed. Just saying. Or is that "ridiculous"? Lol.

It's hard to have a discussion with someone who hasn't bothered to read the issue being discussed. Just saying. Or is that "ridiculous"? Lol.
    I've said it and I'll say it again. Rather than insulting people, tell everyone what it was meant to say. You only make yourself look like an ass like this. If you want a discussion, in a thread you made remember, then start one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Fun fact - Hitler was an ideologue, very significantly anti-Jew to his core.

Trump is just an incoherent mad-man.

The correct historical comparison would be Trump is like Mussolini - we just have to hope someone like Hitler doesn't come along and start controlling Trump as Hitler did to Mussolini.
    Hitler was not elected because of his anti-semitism. He kept that better hidden than Trump kept his racism hidden. Trump is the most overtly racist political leader in in the west historically.

If you watch "Triumph of the will" there's very little in Hitler's speeches about the Jews. It is all about restoring the Fatherland to glory and so on.

I am particulary concerned by the fact that if Trump does have genocidal beliefs then at this stage it would be impossible to stop him. It wouldn't take much to turn those detention centres for Mexicans into death camps.

That said I think your comparison to Mussolini is probably accurate. One might argue convincingly that it scarcely matters whether Trump is a fascist because the US already conducts the type of warmongering imperialism that is practically indistinguishable from Mussolin's fascism, and behaves in an increasingly authoritarian manner domestically.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggs View Post
    This is why the left lost is because of grandiose statements comparing Trump to Hitler. The media and some on the left kept throwing that into people's faces and people weren't gonna buy that.

This right here is one of main reasons why Trump won. Instead of attacking him on legitimate issues you create this narrative that he is the next Hitler.

I personally don't like that trump is becoming president and would have rather have Hillary even though i don't like her either.

There are issues I have with trump but him becoming the next Hitler is far from one of them.
    Actually what you've very accurately pointed out is an increasing divide in the United States. And if people can't see the other sides view, it won't get any better.

I have to say I feel the same way as you do - it took some real soul searching to ask (and listen!) to why people voted for Trump. I think I understand why people did so (outside the "I hate Hillary and anyone is better" school). I just wish those that voted had looked a little more critically at his policies and "legitimate issues".

The narrative that he is the next Hitler is currently ridiculous. However, it bares keeping an eye out as he is basically using the Fascist Playbook to run his pre- and post-campaign dialogue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggs View Post

I am more concerned with preventing the rise of the next Hitler than the tender feelings of right-wingers who feel that their ugly racism should be respected. We will continue to highlight comparisons between the rise of dictators and Trump until he actually begins to deviate from that pattern.