Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Creepy sounds captured in an abandoned mine.

Thought this would be a fun video for OT.

What do you think accounts for the sounds in the video (starting at the 12 min mark)? Video editing/hoax, natural phenomena or...?

Some background on the channel: the guy has been making Youtube videos of abandoned mine exploration for the past several years, 99.9% of his videos are your usual abandoned mine vids. Most of them err on the side of boring. He has one other video with some questionable or "creepy" content (swinging chain in an abandoned mine, voices and an air horn). He also doesn't do very many sponsored/promotional vids (like this one is) and most of his videos have a rather low view count.

Personally I'd like to think there is a natural explanation rather than someone trying to make a quick buck with audio editing equipment, but the sponsored video + visiting a creepy abandoned mine on a dark and stormy night + creepy voices makes it seem like too much of a setup.

Kola-Borehole-Hoax all over again?

Edit: From the comments: https://postimg.org/image/jbhqb2av9/ :-O

Entertaining video, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2016-12-04 at 10:12 PM.

I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert on mines and the noises they make, but it just sounds like someone edited in generic 'evil' whispering to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's Hitler's ghost. >.>
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert on mines and the noises they make, but it just sounds like someone edited in generic 'evil' whispering to me.
    Yeah. Whispering seemed so loud, like it was close to the recording equipment. Which is suspicious in itself.

You can pick up some phrases, though. Some of it might be in a different language, possibly? Not sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's Hitler's ghost. >.>
    But he's at Trump Tower at the moment.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Probably faked, BUT I will say that the whole "Whispers in a cave," thing is something I experienced when I worked for a cave tour company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

15+ Year Old Account
    Could barely make out some sounds. I dunno, he doesn't seem to make much out of it other than put it in the title (easy views, totally understandable). Might have been the wind, animals or people outside echoing in.

Weirdly I really enjoying that video, I'm gonna go look at this guy exploring some more mines...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like it comes from his phone or something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Could barely make out some sounds. I dunno, he doesn't seem to make much out of it other than put it in the title (easy views, totally understandable). Might have been the wind, animals or people outside echoing in.

Weirdly I really enjoying that video, I'm gonna go look at this guy exploring some more mines...
    Good idea, what's the worst thing that could happen from exploring abandoned mines...

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Some of his videos are really interesting! I ended up subscribing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Probably faked, BUT I will say that the whole "Whispers in a cave," thing is something I experienced when I worked for a cave tour company.
    Yeah, a friend of mine said the same, and that there was probably an acoustic reason for it. Just don't know enough about caves and sound. Very creepy sounding!

Kind of odd to me that the inflection in his voice doesn't change at all when hearing these supposed weird noises. I would think hearing anything like that in such an environment one would freeze in place and hold their breath to hear it clearer, but instead he keeps moving around and talking so nonchalantly.

Interesting watch regardless, but I would place my bet on it being edited.

10+ Year Old Account
    In scary whispery voice

"you no take candle"

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

Yeah, a friend of mine said the same, and that there was probably an acoustic reason for it. Just don't know enough about caves and sound. Very creepy sounding!
    Depending on the wildlife within a cave or underground system and the acoustics, yeah you can get some weird sounds produce.

The cave I worked at was slightly more eerie just because it lacked native wildlife. No bats, no rats, a few little bugs was all. But even then, air and water moving can create the strangest noises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Manbearpig.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    The most interesting part is when he moves forward and the sounds become louder.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Personally I'd like to think there is a natural explanation rather than someone trying to make a quick buck with audio editing equipment, but the sponsored video + visiting a creepy abandoned mine on a dark and stormy night + creepy voices makes it seem like too much of a setup.
    I'm a geologist, and over the years I spent some time (tho I mostly work in an office nowadays) in mines, mine shafts, tunnel and caves.

Contrary to what people think, the earth isn't a static unmoving silent thing. Underground water, pockets of air, moving air, geological activity can and do all produce a wide range of sounds. If there is no drilling or any other activity those sounds can be both quite noticeable and eerie. What we heard in that video sounds to me like the echo of some of the sounds produced by small amounts of water moving. Water underground doesn't always flow in continuous streams so sometimes the sound can even come and go. The reason why it is only heard in specific areas of the mine is because it is an echo sound mostly contained and localized the shafts acoustics.

Expressions like rocks sighing, whispering or breathing exist for a reason.

Well that's something I would be too terrified to do, especially alone. And at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

That is pretty creepy. I listened with headphones and the sound does appear in the correct place in the stereo field relative to the camera when it moves, so if it was dubbed on they did a good job. It definitely sounds like whispering. Weird.

I don't hear anything
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    i've actually met one guy who was drilling that hole. Dude said it is frustrating as fuck when people are only interested in hearing about the rumours and not the actual research. Poor guy lol.
    But they have opened the gate to hell! The voices....haunting me....