Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Protecting Donald Trump costs New York City more than $1 million a day

Old news, but I didn't see it here so... Anyway this is bullshit, Trump and his family should have known that the presidency would change their life's and now NY tax payer will be forced to pay for his child sensbilities. And no Obama did not do the same.

Protecting Donald Trump costs New York City more than $1 million a day

Protecting President-elect Donald Trump and his family is costing New York City more than $1 million a day, according to three city officials.

And those costs won't necessarily drop significantly once he moves to the White House.

That's because Melania Trump and their 10-year old son Barron expect to stay at their home at Trump Tower in midtown Manhattan, at least until the end of the school year. And Donald Trump has indicated he plans to return home regularly, especially while they're still here.

Adding to the expense is the cost of police assigned to Trump's adult children and his grandchildren, who are also receiving Secret Service protection, John Miller, NYPD's deputy commissioner of intelligence & counterterrorism, told WCBS Monday. All of them live in the city, and all are entitled to receive Secret Service protection.

"The number one imperative here is safety and security. We owe that to the president elect, his family and his team," said New York Mayor Bill de Blasio at a press conference on Friday. But he added the city will need help with those costs, particularly police overtime.

"This is a very substantial undertaking. It will take substantial resources," he said. "We will begin the conversation with the federal government shortly on reimbursement for the NYPD for some of the costs that we are incurring."

While primary responsibility for the protection of the president, or president-elect, rests with the Secret Service, local law enforcement is charged with assisting them, particularly in controlling movements of the general public.

Every president is required to have local law enforcement protection when they return home during their terms. But protecting Trump in New York City is particularly costly, given that he lives in the most densely-populated neighborhood of the nation's biggest city.

"We have never had a situation where a POTUS (president of the United States) would be here on such a regular basis," said de Blasio. "The details of his future plans are unknown, but we certainly know over these next 65 days [until the inauguration] he will be here regularly. The NYPD is up to the challenge and the city of New York is up to the challenge, I have no doubt about that."

The city has sought and received reimbursement for protecting world leaders in the past, such as when heads of state visit the United Nations, de Blasio said. City records show it received $26 million in reimbursements for such expenses in the 12 months ending June 30, or about $500,000 a week. But the fact that the city will need to protect Trump on an ongoing basis is unprecedented, de Blasio said.

"This makes [previous protection efforts] look quite small obviously," he said. "We'll have to establish a new set of ground rules."

The police have set up barricades around Trump Tower at 56th Street and 5th Avenue, smack in the middle of the city. While a block of 56th street has basically been closed to traffic, 5th Avenue remains open, although the traffic flow on that major thoroughfare has been affected.
    And as Trump moves through the city, police need to close streets accordingly. For example, the Lincoln Tunnel was closed to traffic on Friday afternoon during rush hour when Trump traveled to New Jersey.

we have to protect him extremists that think their way is the only way. not his fault people are stupid and hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    we have to protect him extremists that think their way is the only way. not his fault people are stupid and hate him.
    He could move his family to Washington, like Obama did.

I'm more concerned about how security at his foreign holdings is supposed to work.

There was already a thread about this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guys, taxes are stealing, because i know fuck all about what the government does for me!
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Guys, taxes are stealing, because i know fuck all about what the government does for me!
    "Hay guys I'm gonna rent out a floor of my building to the Secret Service so that the taxpayers can pay me rent to protect myself."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    The police have set up barricades around Trump Tower at 56th Street and 5th Avenue, smack in the middle of the city. While a block of 56th street has basically been closed to traffic
    Trump is being protected from murder and destruction. Hopefully he is kept safe.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-12-05 at 12:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He could move his family to Washington, like every President ever did.
    ftfy. You're welcome.

He could move his family to Washington, like Obama did.
    then washington has to pay the money. what is the difference other than new york is full of crazy liberals?

10+ Year Old Account
    then washington has to pay the money. what is the difference other than new york is full of crazy liberals?
    Because the recipient of said funds is the owner of Trump tower since the Secret Service is leasing the floor from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    "Hay guys I'm gonna rent out a floor of my building to the Secret Service so that the taxpayers can pay me rent to protect myself."
    sound like a smart guy to me. and knowing all the critics cant do shit about it but cry makes him even happier to do it. fucking genius level the way he trolls people.

- - - Updated - - -

Because the recipient of said funds is the owner of Trump tower since the Secret Service is leasing the floor from them.
    so? somebody has to be paid. and hes already moving to the white house when he can. somebody as extreme as you could say obama should leave quicker. as for his wife, doesnt she have choices? isnt this america? cant the woman live wherever the f she wants? what you want him to divorce her if she stays? no protection at all for her when you know some idiot will try something to send a message. solve the problem not bitch about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have get to pay for his wife to live in Trump Tower. So much for reduced spending.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    sound like a smart guy to me. and knowing all the critics cant do shit about it but cry makes him even happier to do it. fucking genius level the way he trolls people.

- - - Updated - - -

so? somebody has to be paid. and hes already moving to the white house when he can. somebody as extreme as you could say obama should leave quicker. as for his wife, doesnt she have choices? isnt this america? cant the woman live wherever the f she wants? what you want him to divorce her if she stays? no protection at all for her when you know some idiot will try something to send a message. solve the problem not bitch about it.
    The First Lady not living in the White House where the Secret Service doesn't have to make any special exceptions, or stop traffic, or business, or any other number of things is kind of a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'm more concerned about how security at his foreign holdings is supposed to work.
    Washington receives federal funding to do so and is already used to it. NY isn't and it would have to pay it using money that comes from its own funding. In addition all of this because his son can't be bothered to move to another school.

Washington receives federal funding to do so and is already used to it. NY isn't and it would have to pay it using money that comes from its own funding. In addition all of this because his son can't be bothered to move to another school.
    that makes zero sense and if true i have a very simple solution. divert the money used to protect trump from washington to nyc for the time being. (every president has this problem during the transition, i dont see how trumps is any different) once he is in the white house it will not cost nyc anything protect mrs trump, they have their own secret service and that is sufficient. also switching schools mid semester is silly especially when you pay up the ass for that private school. if nyc feels they need to add more protection then what is assigned to them then that is up to them, you cannot blame anybody but them. as for now it behooves the city to protect the president-elect or forever be known as a failure and i dont see why the federal budget doesnt account for this transition.

Well atleast he said he wasn't going to take a salary as president so its like they are getting half a million dollars off the price a year!

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Well atleast he said he wasn't going to take a salary as president so its like they are getting half a million dollars off the price a year!
    Why take a salary when he's going to make so much off of the "perks"?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Why take a salary when he's going to make so much off of the "perks"?
    Yeah lol. Was looking at an article that said the price normally is like 1.5 million a floor and they may need two. Him not taking salary just makes him look good when he might end up raking in more in a single year than a normal president in 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least Bush and such lived in the White House.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi