Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    They have to make money. How hard is that for you people to understand?
    Well they won't be making any money off of me unfortunately, unless they offer me Legacy servers.

Deleted
    Vanilla was terrible, no idea why people pretend otherwise.

people protesting how good vanilla was are WoW's equivalent to hipsters in real life.

it was a terrible experience that took way too long before you could enjoy content, it forced people into one main role without the ability to successfully have alts that could enjoy end game content without spending at least 20x the time you need in current WoW.

Legion is the best WoW has ever been in terms of the amount of content and ways in which you can experiences those different types of content.

Why are there people against legacy servers?

Is it because there are people for them?

Are you just being obnoxious for no good reason apart from contradicting other people or do you have real concerns you want to share?

I mean, it's not like the addition of legacy servers means the death of Legion or whatever expansion in the future. It just means there's legacy servers. The same way there are German servers

I'm really curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    Vanilla was terrible, no idea why people pretend otherwise.

people protesting how good vanilla was are WoW's equivalent to hipsters in real life.

it was a terrible experience that took way too long before you could enjoy content, it forced people into one main role without the ability to successfully have alts that could enjoy end game content without spending at least 20x the time you need in current WoW.

Legion is the best WoW has ever been in terms of the amount of content and ways in which you can experiences those different types of content.
    Debatable. RNG surrounding the expansion is absolute garbage. So is the legendary system. Oh you just got a 890 piece of gear.... and it's a downgrade because wrong secondaries. Ain't fun at all. Also EN was a trash raid. Trial of Valor is half decent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post

Are you just being obnoxious for no good reason apart from contradicting other people or do you have real concerns you want to share?

I mean, it's not like the addition of legacy servers means the death of Legion or whatever expansion in the future. It just means there's legacy servers. The same way there are German servers

I'm really curious.
    Didn't you say earlier they should focus on the main game? I'm pretty sure you called it the "real World of Warcraft"

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Didn't you say earlier they should focus on the main game? I'm pretty sure you called it the "real World of Warcraft"
    I'm playing devil's advocate.

Deleted

I'm really curious.
    Most of the "against" people you see here are people that used to be "for" legacy but realized how absolutely terrible the "for" people are.
    I was for the whole thing but after seeing how the "for" people are treating others I am now neutral as in not giving a shit, just wish some people would just leave the forums with their absolutely disgusting way of talking to others.
    People like @Eleccybubb are not against it either, he wants Legacy but he wants it from Blizzard it self and (I think) also doesn't like the way the Legacy crowd discusses things with lies and just disgusting behavior.
    There are a few others that are for the realms just against the people posting here.

thats my opinion anyway, I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Most of the "against" people you see here are people that used to be "for" legacy but realized how absolutely terrible the "for" people are.
    I was for the whole thing but after seeing how the "for" people are treating others I am now neutral as in not giving a shit, just wish some people would just leave the forums with their absolutely disgusting way of talking to others.
    People like @Eleccybubb are not against it either, he wants Legacy but he wants it from Blizzard it self and (I think) also doesn't like the way the Legacy crowd discusses things with lies and just disgusting behavior.
    There are a few others that are for the realms just against the people posting here.

thats my opinion anyway, I might be wrong.
    There's always "terrible" people. That's why I was asking them what makes them be so against legacy servers

It just seems to me like they're against it for the sake of contradicting others. Giving no good reason why legacy servers are inherently a bad idea and how that affects them in the slightest.

It's like little kids being offered candy and feeling offended the other kid in the park is also receiving candy.. Why can't all the kids have candy?

That's my question.

I have an answer for this though, but that's for another day. Today I'm very sober

Deleted
    There's always "terrible" people. That's why I was asking them what makes them be so against legacy servers

It just seems to me like they're against it for the sake of contradicting others. Giving no good reason why legacy servers are inherently a bad idea and how that affects them in the slightest.

It's like little kids being offered candy and feeling offended the other kid in the park is also receiving candy.. Why can't all the kids have candy?

That's my question.

I have an answer for this though, but that's for another day. Today I'm very sober
    And if you would have read my answer you would see I said "I don't think people are against the servers, I think they are against the community".
    You can twist it whatever way you want but if you read all the comments in this tread from the "against" people you see they are usually not against the server at all.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    And if you would have read my answer you would see I said "I don't think people are against the servers, I think they are against the community".
    You can twist it whatever way you want but if you read all the comments in this tread from the "against" people you see they are usually not against the server at all.
    Yes! They sure act like it.

But can we really blame? If the people that want those servers weren't contradicted 24/7 maybe they wouldn't be obnoxious about wanting their candies.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2016-12-06 at 04:39 PM. Reason: it's a SECRET

@woozie21 Pretty much described my stance on Legacy right there . I see garbage from both sides in this thread. People spouting nonsense on the Legacy side such as "I know the devs personally and they told me this" to "transmog is a factor that killed the game". HOWEVER. Anti Legacy people are just as bad coming in and crapping on people who want it. There are bad eggs on every side here.

Deleted
    Yes! They sure act like it.

But who can we really blame? If the people that want those servers weren't contradicted 24/7 maybe they wouldn't be obnoxious about wanting their candies.
    I am against stupidity and a few people in this very tread are showing so much of that that they are turning people against them that were originally with them.
    If you want to blame someone, blame those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Raenor View Post
    I think the profit is there.

But if they release such a realm and it turns out to be a sucess it could destroy retail and thus they would make a lot of money and loose a lot of it at the same time.
    Legacy really isn't a threat to retail, people need to stop acting as though Blizz is just jealous of Legacy.

People are severely underestimating just how much work is required to get it installed on a modern server. You don't just insert the disc that came with Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyrock View Post
    Legacy really isn't a threat to retail, people need to stop acting as though Blizz is just jealous of Legacy.

People are severely underestimating just how much work is required to get it installed on a modern server. You don't just insert the disc that came with Vanilla.
    In a utopic, imaginary world, where you would login and see 200 retail realms, and then 2 vanilla realms, and then 2 LK realms, etc etc etc, don't you think there would be a risk, at the very least the risk of blizz finding out that more ppl than they thought spend more time in non legion realms? Honest question, because my opinion from what i see in pservers is that they might end up being surprised.

How is legacy not a threat to retail? It would take resources away from retail to make legacy
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Raenor View Post
    I think the profit is there.

But if they release such a realm and it turns out to be a sucess it could destroy retail and thus they would make a lot of money and loose a lot of it at the same time.
    The problem is, once you have to pay for it the "market" that is there won't be anymore. As much as people say they would, a big reason private servers are modestly popular is becasue they are free. So let's be honest, IF, Blizzard ever does this it would be tied to the retail account or a premium that would include both, ensuring retail would not suffer. My belief is that once these people have to pay they won't show up.

As to a market for this type of old school MMO game that this thread thinks there is a viable market for, why is there never any support for it on crowdfunding or games that are similar, enough so to make a mark?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokstar View Post
    People are trying so hard to explain why vanilla is so good, or retail is so good, or tbc, or wotlk or mop or whatever.
    Opinions are opinions, and everyone has got one.
    It's not that vanilla is better, or retail is better, or wotlk is better, this is all subjective depending on the person, each version of the game has its pros and cons.
    And this whole vanilla vs retail? Why did it come down to that?
    What about people that like some other expansion in between the most?
    I want an official wotlk realm!!! As a matter of fact, there was a poll here not long ago - http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rite-Expansion
    Not saying that that poll is a 100% reflection of everyone's opinion ever, but wotlk beat both vanilla and legion or tbc combined in that poll.
    Just saying.
    a poll like that, correlated with when the respondent started playing wow, would also be interestnig. it may be that most players now playing started mid-late tbc? meaning that would have hit max end-tbc or early wotlk?

it is not at all a stretch to say most players who responded did not start in classic but rather tbc/wotlk.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    In a utopic, imaginary world, where you would login and see 200 retail realms, and then 2 vanilla realms, and then 2 LK realms, etc etc etc, don't you think there would be a risk, at the very least the risk of blizz finding out that more ppl than they thought spend more time in non legion realms? Honest question, because my opinion from what i see in pservers is that they might end up being surprised.
    Private servers are proof people would play legacy, not that they would pay for it. And continue to pay for a static product monthly. I'm sure there'd be a spike of initial interest, but is it sustainable enough to pay for the major investment it would take to get such a project started?

That's really the stepping stone for Blizzard, not a feeling that legacy succeeding would invalidate their modern design decisions. And given Blizzard likely have more data than any of us could dream of, that suggests it isn't profitable. Also bear in mind a company the size of Blizz doesn't get out of bed for a profit of 10 dollars.

people saying that blizzard guaranteed license to server run the legacy client.
    ]is this true?

INFRACTION
    Last edited by Saracens; 2016-12-06 at 05:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is legacy not a threat to retail? It would take resources away from retail to make legacy
    it would take resources from somewhere for sure.

some of the places it could take resources from, assuming wow revenue is 'used' for this

1) funds for corporate taxes
    2) dividends
    3) product development (non-wow)
    4) acquisitions by activision-blizzard (cash-basis)
    5) stock buybacks
    6) interest and principal repayment of a/b debt
    7) corporate SG&A, to include executive bonuses
    8) cost of operating retail wow (servers, payroll, support)
    9) retail wow development. note that retail wow managed to get 2 major patches last expansion without legacy 'stealing' resources.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Why from retail? Why not from "other" resources, like the ones they used for their other games?