Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The "void lords" should have have a different name

I don't really have any problems with the void lords as a concept, but why are they just called void lords? We already have "void lords" dating back to BC. Did Blizzard seriously not think of that?

IMO they should have been called the "Outer Gods" or something, if following the Lovecraftian theme, as a level beyond the Old Gods aka the Great Old Ones. It would at least give them a name that isn't easily confused with the "other" void lords that we've been seeing. Hell, warlocks can still summon a "void lord" with the glyph.

Is Starcraft confirmed as a shared universe? Because I agree with you, void is Blizzard's second favourite word besides corruption. We are fighting the Void Lords who aim to corrupt everything by corrupting the titan soul via old gods who corrupted several races etc etc etc.
    Last edited by TeXD; 2016-12-06 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeXD View Post
    Is Starcraft confirmed as a shared universe? Because I agree with you, void is Blizzard's second favourite word besides corruption.
    Well we already have legion space ships so why the hell not
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

There is some overlap though, most voidlords encountered during TBC were avatars / manifestations of the Void Lords. Dimensius 100% was one (confirmed by Xal'atath), Pandemonius was probably one as well, judging by his titles (The Worldslayer, Eater of Nations). Galaxis, Invalidus and Zuramat were most likely Void Lords as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any suggestions for a different name then?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Any suggestions for a different name then?
    Outer Gods, as I stated in the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    There is some overlap though, most voidlords encountered during TBC were avatars / manifestations of the Void Lords. Dimensius 100% was one (confirmed by Xal'atath), Pandemonius was probably one as well, judging by his titles (The Worldslayer, Eater of Nations). Galaxis, Invalidus and Zuramat were most likely Void Lords as well.
    Well that is real fucking disappointing.

"Oh, the ultimate villains in WoW? You already killed a manifestation of one in a quest back in BC!"

I feel like they should be called "the old gods".

And be the old gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I feel like they should be called "the old gods".

And be the old gods.
    Problem with the Old Gods is that they were a threat defeated long ago. While dangerous still, the tension can only last for so long before becoming redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    Problem with the Old Gods is that they were a threat defeated long ago. While dangerous still, the tension can only last for so long before becoming redundant.
    I think it's a lot more compelling than creating a new "supervillain behind the supervillain", though. The old gods were mysterious and spooky enough to be their own thing, and relegating them to minions of some other evil cosmic force feels redundant. I also think it strays into the realm of explaining the unexplainable, making it rational and mundane, which undermines pretty much the core theme of what makes Lovecraftian horror work.

I just see no point in the void lords at all. To me, all their existence does is undermine the old gods and make them less interesting while accomplishing nothing that couldn't have been attributed to the old gods in the first place.
    Last edited by Wondercrab; 2016-12-09 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's literally the same name of the entities from the original Lovecraft mythos though, what about something more original?

That's literally the same name of the entities from the original Lovecraft mythos though, what about something more original?
    What about Not-inner Gods or Gods from out of here?

But on topic, yeah... I mean, the void feels to me like this dark magical energy, dark purple, like Golden Yaks sig. While I understand the void is dark, it should be represented more darkish, since its the highest evil force. The purple just doesnt cut it.

Do they even have to have a name? We have Elune and its not quiet states what she is. But if the group really has to have a name... maybe Dark Gods? Or Dark Lords?

As if the Old Gods are "original". Almost everything in WoW is derivative. Why bother to hide it? It at least provides a clear distinction.

Some name in the Shath'yar language for them would be great.

As opposed to there being more than one "firelord" as in Ragnaros the Firelord and just having firelord elementals?

10+ Year Old Account
    As if the Old Gods are "original". Almost everything in WoW is derivative. Why bother to hide it? It at least provides a clear distinction.
    Clearly the solution is this:

Great Old Ones => Old Gods
    Outer Gods => Great Outer Ones

I await my Pulitzer.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2016-12-07 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Clearly the solution is this:

Great Old Ones => Old Gods
    Outer Gods => Great Outer Ones

I await my Pulitzer.
    That's what I meant. It makes sense and provides a clearer distinction than what we have now.

It's futile to pretend any of it isn't Lovecraft Lite. Although I wish more Lovecraftian creatures were implemented such as the flying polyps. They would present more than just tentacles with different things attached to the ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

"Oh, the ultimate villains in WoW? You already killed a manifestation of one in a quest back in BC!"
    Dimensius the All-Devouring was only an avatar of the Void Gods - Xal'atath calls it the faintest of echoes.

"I long for the day our masters can truly pass into this realm. You have only seen fragments, shadows; the faintest of echoes. Ask the Ethereals what one of these manifestations are capable of."
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Dimensius the All-Devouring was only an avatar of the Void Gods - Xal'atath calls it the faintest of echoes.

"I long for the day our masters can truly pass into this realm. You have only seen fragments, shadows; the faintest of echoes. Ask the Ethereals what one of these manifestations are capable of."
    Well that's a little bit better. Still, I feel as though these entities shouldn't even be fathomable, but I'm a Lovecraft fan, and this is Lovecraft Lite. They'll just become raid bosses in any case.

- - - Updated - - -

Well yeah, thats the whole point, they can manifest briefly but are weak. THey want to corrupt Azeroth so she can eat us all.

Deleted
    they should be called the Dark Lords..

or maybe the Deadlight Lords or the Lords of Dead Light

why is every villain a Lord anyway