Page 1 of 25
... LastLast
    Deleted

Denmark Doctors Call to Ban Circumcision For Boys Under 18

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7459291.html

Doctors in Denmark want to stop circumcision for under-18s

Boys should not be circumcised until they are old enough to choose for themselves, doctors in Denmark have said.

The Danish Medical Association said it had considered suggesting a legal ban on the procedure for children under the age of 18, because it believed circumcision should be “an informed, personal choice” that young men make for themselves.

When parents have their sons circumcised, it robs boys of the ability to make decisions about their own bodies, and choose their cultural and religious beliefs for themselves, the organisation said.

Lise Møller, chair of the Doctors' Association Ethics Board, said it was wrong to deny an individual the right to choose whether or not they wanted to be circumcised.

“To be circumcised should be an informed, personal choice," she said.

"It is most consistent with the individual’s right to self-determination that parents not be allowed to make this decision, but that it is left up to the individual when he has come of age."

The organisation said that because male circumcision is not without risk it should only be performed on children when there is a documented medical need.

The doctors stopped short of calling for an all-out legal ban on the procedure, which is currently allowed but remains relatively rare in Denmark, because it said the move could have too many negative consequences.

“We have discussed it thoroughly, also in our ethics committee," Ms Møller said. "We came to the conclusion that it is difficult to predict the consequences of a ban – both for the involved boys, who could for example face bullying or unauthorised procedures with complications – and for the cultural and religious groups they belong to."

The Danish Health and Medicines Authority estimates that somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 circumcisions are performed in Denmark each year, primarily on Jewish and Muslim boys.

The majority of those procedures occur outside of the public health system and are done as part of a religious ceremony in the child's home, or in a private clinic.

The Danish Health Ministry announced on Monday that beginning in 2017 all circumcisions, regardless of where they take place, will have to be reported to Denmark's national patient registry.

According to a major 2007 study by the World Health Organization, roughly 30 per cent of the global male population is circumcised.

Past polls have shown that upwards of 87 per cent of Danes support banning the practice on boys under the age of 18, the Local reported.

From later in the thread, great video:

"The same doctors who recommend circumcision for health reasons recommend applying carbolic acid to the clitoris"
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-12-09 at 09:00 AM.

Look. Im an atheist. And as much against Abrahamic religious bullshit as it is humanly possible to be.... BUTI would say that a definitive ruling on this would be a slippery slope on parental rights. What would be next? Boys MUST play with Barbies to promote gender equality? Girls arent allowed to have an Easy-Bake oven because that would regress their fragile egos? Should we artificially sterilize everyone and only allow reproduction from those whose ideas we like? Also, how in the fuck is this ANY different from Trumps "lets create a Muslim registry" nonsense? Hint: Its NOT. It's just trendy right now to apologize and bend over backwards for certain groups and then apply a totally different standard for another and that's bullshit.

Yeah, all genital mutilation should be banned, not just female. Most males are circumcised as a baby and forced to rationalize it later, when they would have never made that decision as an adult in the first place. Only exception should be a medical indication like phimosis, of course.

There is really no reason to cut off your skin because sky daddy told you so. Desensitisation is a real disadvantage.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2016-12-07 at 04:32 PM.

The genital mutilation of children just disgusts me. Nothing more can be said that won't result in an infraction.

Deleted
    Circumcision has no real negative impacts, but a whole lot of positive ones. It should be done right after birth unless the parents choose to not want it done.

What a backwards policy they're trying to implement there, ethics committee my ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Look. Im an atheist. And as much against Abrahamic religious bullshit as it is humanly possible to be.... BUTI would say that a definitive ruling on this would be a slippery slope on parental rights. What would be next? Boys MUST play with Barbies to promote gender equality? Girls arent allowed to have an Easy-Bake oven because that would regress their fragile egos? Should we artificially sterilize everyone and only allow reproduction from those whose ideas we like? Also, how in the fuck is this ANY different from Trumps "lets create a Muslim registry" nonsense? Hint: Its NOT. It's just trendy right now to apologize and bend over backwards for certain groups and then apply a totally different standard for another and that's bullshit.
    I am not convinced that mutilating your child should be a parental right. Letting the person decide when they are old enough seems fine to me, it isn't banning the practice outright.

I would like to know what it's like to have a foreskin.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I am okay with irreversible bodily changes being a decision that the person gets to make on their own terms when they are considered adult enough for said choice, and not their parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    What the actual fuck? None of this rambling makes any sense
    Its just how the American far rigth is, be thanfull they are barely in Europa..
    Unless you're in America, then I don't know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Circumcision has no real negative impacts, but a whole lot of positive ones. It should be done right after birth unless the parents choose to not want it done.

What a backwards policy they're trying to implement there, ethics committee my ass.
    There are no proven medical or hygienic benefits to circumcision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I am not convinced that mutilating your child should be a parental right. Letting the person decide when they are old enough seems fine to me, it isn't banning the practice outright.
    Ok. So then, where is the line on parental rights? And who decides that? And by what measuring stick? And who decides the measuring stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    There are no proven medical or hygienic benefits to circumcision.
    Actually there are. Try using Google

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post

Such as? I mean can you link a credible source that doesn't try to use african countries as a comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Its just how the American far rigth is, be thanfull they are barely in Europa..
    Unless you're in America, then I don't know what to say.
    I'm actually fairly Liberal/Democratic. Thanks for your uneducated assumptions though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I would like to know what it's like to have a foreskin.
    Get a lady, or bloke if that's your thing, to put their lips around little Hubcap for 24 hours a day, but tell them not to use their teeth or tongue.

Telling someone to use google is akin to telling them you have nothing to back up your claim and want them to do your work for you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually fairly Liberal/Democratic. Thanks for your uneducated assumptions though
    Which is far right assuming you are american.

There are none feel free to list them so I can debunk them.

I thought it was generally considered to be beneficial to health? If that's the case, wouldn't it be better getting that out of the way prior to being aware of it? Not sure this falls under "mutilation".

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the position of the American Academy of Pediatrics:

Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision; however, these data are not sufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision. In circumstances in which there are potential benefits and risks, yet the procedure is not essential to the child’s current well-being, parents should determine what is in the best interest of the child.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Telling someone to use google is akin to telling them you have nothing to back up your claim and want them to do your work for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is far right assuming you are american.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...e/prc-20013585

Since you are fucking lazy plebs that only believe what you are told instead of researching shit for yourselves....