Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    To the "Lesser evil," question, Obama did manage to pull a rabbit out of a hate and run on "Hope and Change," his first time around. He just turned out to be full of it. But he did do impressively well on that sort of rhetoric.
    That was something of an anomaly in modern politics, definitely. Although I'd say he faced a Congress that was more concerned with being obstructionist because of petty political bullshit than with actually governing. He wasn't full of it. By most indicators, the country is doing much better now than it was under his predecessor. That recovery never reached parts of the country due to many factors, none of which are solved by lying to them and telling them the factory that the town relied on is coming back any time soon.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    quote from Isaac Asimov in 1980 that is more than relevant today
    [T]here are, indeed, few things that are more frightening than the steadily increasing prestige of scientifically minded brain trusters in the councils of government during the last decades. The trouble is not that they are cold-blooded enough to “think the unthinkable,” but that they do not think.
    -Hannah Arendt, “On Violence”

She has in mind those consultants, talking heads, and commentators in and out of government who create logically convincing hypothetical constructions of future events. This could be the claim, heard so often today, that if Iran gets a nuclear bomb they will use it or that Al Qaeda and terrorism threatens the existence or freedoms of the United States. For Arendt, such claims always begin the same way, with a hypothesis. They state a possible outcome of a series of events. They then discuss and dismiss alternative possibilities. Finally, this hypothesis turns “immediately, usually after a few paragraphs, into a “fact,” which then gives birth to a whole string of similar non-facts, with the result that the purely speculative character of the whole enterprise is forgotten.” In other words, we move from the speculative possibility that Iran would use nuclear weapons or that terrorism is a meaningful threat to the United States to the conclusion that these outcomes are facts. The danger of intellectuals in politics is that they have a unique facility with ideas and arguments that are quite capable of so enrapturing their own minds with the power of their arguments that they lose sight of reality.

When Arendt speaks about the danger of intellectuals in government she has in mind the example of the Vietnam War. In her essay “Lying and Politics”—a response to the Pentagon Papers—she hammers at the same theme of the danger intellectuals pose to politics. The Pentagon Papers were written by and written about “professional ‘problem solvers,’” who were “drawn into government from the universities and the various think tanks, some of them equipped with game theories and systems analyses, thus prepared, as they thought, to solve all the ‘problems’ of foreign policy.” The John F. Kennedy administration is famous, very much as is the Presidency of Barack Obama, for luring the “best and the brightest” into government service. We need to understand Arendt’s claim that of why such problem solvers are dangerous.

These “problem solvers,” she argues, were men of “self-confidence, who ‘seem rarely to doubt their ability to prevail.’” They were “not just intelligent, but prided themselves on being ‘rational,’ and they were indeed to a rather frightening degree above ‘sentimentality’ and in love with ‘theory,’ the world of sheer mental effort.” They were men so familiar with theories and the manipulation of facts to fit logical argumentation, that they could massage facts to fit their theories. “They were eager to find formulas, preferably expressed in a pseudo-mathematical language, that would unify the most disparate phenomena with which reality presented them.” They sought to transform the contingency of facts into the logical coherence of a lawful and pseudo-scientific narrative. But since the political world is not like the natural world of science, the temptation to fit facts to reality meant that they became practiced in self-deception. That is why the “hard and stubborn facts, which so many intelligence analysts were paid so much to collect, were ignored.”

For Arendt, the “best-guarded secret of the Pentagon papers” is the “relation, or, rather, nonrelation, between facts and decision” which was prepared by the intellectual “defactualization” enabled by the problem solvers. “No reality and no common sense,” Arendt writes, “could penetrate the minds of the problem-solvers.”

Arendt’s suspicion of intellectuals in politics long predates her concern about the Vietnam War, and began with her personal experience of German intellectuals in the 1930s. She was shocked by how many of her friends and how many educated and brilliant German professors, lawyers, and bureaucrats—including but not limited to her mentor and lover Martin Heidegger—were able to justify and rationalize their complicity in the administration of the Third Reich, often by the argument that their participation was a lesser evil.

(source)

I see you and @Garnier Fructis and cite Hannah Arendt to counter. Intellectuals are not above evil, and shouldn't be trusted without skepticism either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    They are throwaway votes until we change the system.
    The current system has allowed for several political shifts and the rise and fall of a couple parties during the history of the country. It takes time, but it's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    That was something of an anomaly in modern politics, definitely. Although I'd say he faced a Congress that was more concerned with being obstructionist because of petty political bullshit than with actually governing. He wasn't full of it. By most indicators, the country is doing much better now than it was under his predecessor. That recovery never reached parts of the country due to many factors, none of which are solved by lying to them and telling them the factory that the town relied on is coming back any time soon.
    Which is unfortunate. Despite it not being the most popular claim, Obama, Clinton, and Sanders all agreed that those jobs weren't coming back, couldn't come back, and there should instead be more focus on retraining initiatives to push those factory workers into other more sustainable fields.

Well Obama was on the way out, Clinton is Clinton, and Sanders lost the primary, so they latched onto Trump who promised them a magic pill to fix all their problems, at the cost of regressive policies for the rest of the country and damage to their state economies to make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    That'll just make California an easy target for them, since they know they won't hit any of their own. Assuming they know how to operate those durn new fangled missile silos. I feel like that kind of attack would be a failure, because they forgot to plug it in.
    Ok, this whole thing is not been received in the spirit it was intended.

The concept is like that of feuding roommates that draw a line through the center of the apartment so that they don't actually have to deal with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    lol buzzzfeed

AND YOU WON;T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!
    Better than most of your shit post threads you have.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    It does better in a net benefit sort of way, the problems in many states remain as rampant as ever. He has largely let the banks get away with the 08' fiasco and he has rapidly expanded police and executive power in the US in ways that normally would get Lefties blood boiling.

Or, said better than I can say it...
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    It seems the response of the media's realization that they no longer spin the narrative and no longer are trusted is devise a wild witch hunt, to contrive a great Satan that has deceived the masses from some true faith.
    Liberals currently are in a delusional state all over the Western world, not only in the US. Recently we had a prominent journalist crying how he had been called "a liar" in "some forums" -- just because he had told a couple of things that were a little bit untrue -- and that "social media is a threat to democracy" -- because it allows views other than his own to be heard.

All in all... I've said it many times before, and will say it again as long as it keeps going: liberals are following every step of this list to the letter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenc...:_Pathological

15+ Year Old Account
    Relocating people in and out of individual states might work better or at least cheaper. The West is significantly right wing in various states like Montana, Idaho ect. It might be easier to just move all the Liberals to the currently most commonly blue states and move all conservatives to the most commonly red states.
    Would we still be supporting the leeches on the system? Would there still be one system of governance? Or could we cut ourselves off and let them fund their own welfare?

We'd have to build a wall to keep them out of course. After all, immigration flows towards money.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Genn Greymane works tirelessly to be the sole news aggregator of MMO-C off topic. We should all celebrate his many articles that are not about Justin Trudeau.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    The left and their "Royal Anointed Ones" Clintoons are they very purveyors of "Fake News" Their entire lives.

Now Ino My Opinion they are just pushing this narrative so that when more of their crimes get exposed once Trump is in they can dismiss it as "Fake"
    Good Luck with that. We are onto it. The whole world IS watching, just look at how Gab.ai blew up after Reddit tied censorship. It's over.

OF COURSE. But when they say Obumer is an ''kunyan kummunist moslem'' it's all true, since they say it.

Genn Greymane works tirelessly to be the sole news aggregator of MMO-C off topic. We should all celebrate his many articles that are not about Justin Trudeau.
    90% of his news is shit post threads. My opinion or fact.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Ok, this whole thing is not been received in the spirit it was intended.

The concept is like that of feuding roommates that draw a line through the center of the apartment so that they don't actually have to deal with each other.
    Oh that's how it would start out, I'm talking about the ultimate end game.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Transparency is what won Trump the presidency. He showed the people exactly what he was and didn't try to hide from it. Hillary, on the other hand, tried to lie and hide the truth the entire time.
    He was just better at convincing enough people that he was telling the truth when he was lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Liberals currently are in a delusional state all over the Western world, not only in the US. Recently we had a prominent journalist crying how he had been called "a liar" in "some forums" -- just because he had told a couple of things that were a little bit untrue -- and that "social media is a threat to democracy" -- because it allows views other than his own to be heard.

All in all... I've said it many times before, and will say it again as long as it keeps going: liberals are following every step of this list to the letter.

Yeah. It's ''liburals'' that are trying to organize agiprop campaigns against Rogue One because ''duh pure and aryun Empire is defeated by female, black, hispanic and chinese actors' (and not teddy bears puppets)

Remember the definition of ''crime,' for the alt right people. If you don't agree with them, you are a race traitor that will be executed with a bullet in the head on the alpha and omega of their lives, the day of the rope prophetized by their holy scripture, the Turner Diaries.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2016-12-11 at 06:16 PM.

Deleted
    Or, said better than I can say it..
    The funny thing about that video is, that the woman refers to Goldman Sachs as being "voted in office when obama was voted"..

Well.. just check out who is getting into office as financial and economy ministers. And then dont tell me people didnt vote for Goldman Sachs when Trump was elected.

Trump is part of the establishment. He never fought it. He just brings in the conservative establishment to his government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Not really,

If you want to hear what happens next CLICK HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    Everyone sees truth differently. The fact is the only real truth you know is the truth you witness with your own senses. Personally, I don't believe anything until I can see it for myself. Faith is not an option in today's society.
    Except what you see is also in many cases wrong. Quantum mechanics being an example.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post

For news people, before this election their attitude could best be summarized by the line in Citizen Kane, "They will think what I tell them to think" which for them was part of their self image.

Now that they clearly are not Gods who can determine public opinion, what are they? What good are these people if they cannot control the narrative and beckon the hearts and minds of the masses to heel?

I think for the media establishment this is a scary time because they have fallen from grace. With no power over the masses they need to do something to justify themselves.

No see, the smart Liberals knew facts that evil Non-Hillary voters are all stupid evil sexist racist!!!! RUUUUSSSSSSIIIIIAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

or something like that.
    Hey everyone look this moron thinks hillary is a liberal lol. the choice this year was between two corporatist, how's that trump cabinet looking? (so much for draining the swamp)
    You got conned little man. That's what you get for following the cult of personallity.