Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Resto] My rankings are going lower and lower, help!

So I'm our only resto shaman in the guild which means I can't ask anyone else for advice.
    I've noticed my healing is getting worse and worse. When we started clearing heroic in 1 evening my rankings were still above 90% for my ilvl range most of the time. Now we're clearing up to dragons / progressing mythic and my rankings are getting lower and lower, sometimes even dipping as low as 13% for my ilvl range. What the hell am I doing wrong here? Some example logs below:

Heroic clear:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/tpyW8h31PHAwcgRq

3x Mythic run:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zvCGwqpFt3djgLmy

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/F9Cgf726HPKNkrn8

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9pzLfWY8qaNvCR6M

You can find plenty more logs on my profile if you want to check them out.

Please help me out here because I'm feeling like I'm letting my raid team down.

Deleted
    nothing to do with you, but those 2 druids

It's always been like that since our mastery was introduced. Nothing to see here, only the raid getting better at avoiding damage. And at high health values other healers are just better.

7+ Year Old Account
    Mostly what the other two people said, but also a couple things to add.

1. You're switching up your talents. Your output will change with your talent change, especially when you're not using the talents you're selecting. In two of the DoN logs you linked you are running Unleash Life, but in both of those two you only cast it once per fight. You're also running AG, but not using it.
    2. Some of it is just RNG. Especially on dragons. All the debuffs could go to your side, they could be split, they could favor the other side. The DPS on your side of the split could have good/bad mitigation. There are a lot of factors involved.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTiddles View Post
    Mostly what the other two people said, but also a couple things to add.

1. You're switching up your talents. Your output will change with your talent change, especially when you're not using the talents you're selecting. In two of the DoN logs you linked you are running Unleash Life, but in both of those two you only cast it once per fight. You're also running AG, but not using it.
    2. Some of it is just RNG. Especially on dragons. All the debuffs could go to your side, they could be split, they could favor the other side. The DPS on your side of the split could have good/bad mitigation. There are a lot of factors involved.
    To add...

In your first mythic run you ran unleash life on every boss which is bad enough but throughout the 3 mythic bosses you killed you are looking at a combined 16 minutes. You used Unleash Life 11 times....Some fights you only used it ONE TIME. You should've had atleast 60 uses on it. Throughout the 3 bosses if you are going to run unleash life.

To top that off you run Ancestral Guidance but you didn't use it once throughout the 3 kills. Not once when you should've used at least 7.

I have no more interest in reading your logs into more detail at this point you don't know what you are doing and you are holding your guild back. I'm not going to waste my time any further if you don't want to put in your time to research your class with the many many sources at your disposal... You aren't a new player you been on mmo-champ since 2012. Step your cooldown usage first, use the right talents then come back and ask what you can do a little bit differently in your spell rotation then we can be able to help you.

http://www.icy-veins.com/
    https://chainheal.com/

Educate yourself man you are a mythic raider, act like it.
    Last edited by JonBeMerkin; 2016-12-10 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeMerkin View Post
    To add...

In your first mythic run you ran unleash life on every boss which is bad enough but throughout the 3 mythic bosses you killed you are looking at a combined 16 minutes. You used Unleash Life 11 times....Some fights you only used it ONE TIME. You should've had atleast 60 uses on it. Throughout the 3 bosses if you are going to run unleash life.

To top that off you run Ancestral Guidance but you didn't use it once throughout the 3 kills. Not once when you should've used at least 7.

I have no more interest in reading your logs into more detail at this point you don't know what you are doing and you are holding your guild back. I'm not going to waste my time any further if you don't want to put in your time to research your class with the many many sources at your disposal... You aren't a new player you been on mmo-champ since 2012. Step your cooldown usage first, use the right talents then come back and ask what you can do a little bit differently in your spell rotation then we can be able to help you.

To be Fair, this is the first X-Pac I've been raiding mythic AND the first X-Pac I've been a shaman AND the first X-Pac I've been a healer.....

7+ Year Old Account
    To add...

You know... there's a fine line between offering advice and acting like a douche. Dude came in here to ask for advice, not get slammed.

Seriously, don't be THAT guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghrog View Post
    You know... there's a fine line between offering advice and acting like a douche. Dude came in here to ask for advice, not get slammed.

Seriously, don't be THAT guy.
    Well what did you provide him besides replying someone that did help?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamidroon View Post
    To be Fair, this is the first X-Pac I've been raiding mythic AND the first X-Pac I've been a shaman AND the first X-Pac I've been a healer.....
    First expansion you have used talents before?

Deleted
    You know, he was a bit blunt. But now you are being stupid. If you raid, your past experience doesn't matter. You need to do your job. Who cares what happened last week? The moment you start coming up with excuses, you have already stopped improving.

Healing wave should never be your top output.

- - - Updated - - -

Run Torrent, Echo, deluge, hightide.... If you are having trouble managing cd's. Know the fights and try to keep healing rain on the tanks and as many melee as possible. Target chainheal on the lowest health melee/tank and keep riptides flowing. If someone gets to 40% health and are out in the middle of nowhere rip then HW HS and they should be fine. Your major spell usage should be rip and chain.

Of course not. But healing and dpsing or tanking is something very different. Just because I have a talent selected doesn't mean I know how to properly use it. Many times, especially with Ancestral Guidance, I'm at a loss when a good moment is to use it. Mainly on farm bosses, there aren't that many moments where Ancestral Guidance feels appropriate, and when there IS a moment that could be good, I have 2 druids dropping tranqs left right and centre.

7+ Year Old Account
    If I played resto and wasn't just popping in here to pick up some information, I would have politely helped him out. Just like I do in threads when people are looking for help with Elemental and Enhance (the two specs that I actually do play)... You know, because I was raised to not be a jerk to those politely asking for help.

But nice way to actually dodge the fact that you were acting like a jerk to the guy. The fact that you helped him was why I toned down my response to what I did.

Now, if the guy asked for help, got help, then told everybody helping him off and wasn't taking the help... well, those guys.. sure, be a jerk to them, but that wasn't the case here.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course not. But healing and dpsing or tanking is something very different. Just because I have a talent selected doesn't mean I know how to properly use it. Many times, especially with Ancestral Guidance, I'm at a loss when a good moment is to use it. Mainly on farm bosses, there aren't that many moments where Ancestral Guidance feels appropriate, and when there IS a moment that could be good, I have 2 druids dropping tranqs left right and centre.
    Just ignore him. (I mean his insults, not the advice, I asked our guilds resto shaman, and he backed up the advice)

Well thats sort of the whole point i'm trying to make to you. You don't know how to use talents and like I said you need to first learn talents and abilitys and how resto shamans work. i'm not going to sit here and tell you the fundamentals of resto shaman when theres so many sources out there for you to research (which I provided for you). You need to get the fundamentals down before you start looking for rotation based help. Ancestral Guidance isn't like tide totem you don't just use it when theres MASSIVE amounts of damage going out. You can basically use it on cooldown aslong as the raids not full Hp 24/7 which isn't the case in mythic raiding. Sometimes if you know the fight you can calculate when to use it (ursoc charge, nythendra MC , spider transitions). Again, this is something you have to educate yourself and learn the fights and when to use certain cooldowns this is something you have to do on your own time.

@Ghrog can you mind your business? Like you been on these forums for 2 months and you don't even play the class but yet you want to criticize the way i'm helping someone without even helping them yourself..? Go check your warlock alt thread man you got bigger things to worry about. Hes a mythic raider i'm not going to baby him and sugarcoat anything if he can't take it then he can go back to LFR and normal content right next to you but clearly he cares about improving and i'm not saying "you suck bruh go read guides" i'm actually trying to help him by giving him knowledge on how to better himself not just now but in the future as well with any class he plays.
    Last edited by JonBeMerkin; 2016-12-11 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    I have no more interest in reading your logs into more detail at this point you don't know what you are doing and you are holding your guild back. I'm not going to waste my time any further if you don't want to put in your time to research your class with the many many sources at your disposal... You aren't a new player you been on mmo-champ since 2012. Step your cooldown usage first, use the right talents then come back and ask what you can do a little bit differently in your spell rotation then we can be able to help you
    And this is what we call toxic community. Every moron out there, most of the time a nobody, in RL that became somebody in wow, appears, to judge you and call you names . Why ? Because he/she can do it since this is internet You can do or say whatever you want under a username. He was polite and you weren't. But you don't care right? And yea i don't post much here because of r*tards like you that can ruin my day.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterakos View Post
    And this is what we call toxic community. Every moron out there, most of the time a nobody, in RL that became somebody in wow, appears, to judge you and call you names . Why ? Because he/she can do it since this is internet You can do or say whatever you want under a username. He was polite and you weren't. But you don't care right? And yea i don't post much here because of r*tards like you that can ruin my day.
    Sheesh man hypocrite much. I didn't call him any names but you call me a moron and a retard? I'm so hurt...Btw i'll say what I want wherever i want i don't hide behind a username. Pm me your discord/teamspeak etc i'll hop on and we can talk since you have a lot to say.

Can we stay on topic please? I came here for Advice and any advice is welcome in any way shape or form, but please don't make this into some useless discussion about who did what.

This is just shaman life. On farm content guilds cut a healer anyways, and the first to go is resto shaman. Just go Ele or Enh to help on Dps. You're not doing much on farm.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyso View Post
    You're not doing much on farm.
    While this is true, the fight in mythic logs isn't really farm for them (first kill was just a few days ago).
    @Gamidroon, some additional things I've noticed looking more into your logs are you don't seem to use SLT much. You may feel like you need to save it for a good moment, but then you have fights lasting 7m where you could've used it twice. In terms of fight mechanics, your dispels are low. In your last logs, you dispelled 25 times total. Averaging 5 a fight. On one of my logs, I have 10 dispels in a 6m fight. You could easily halve the incoming damage from Shadow Burst just from lining up your dispels with defiled vines and using dispels when you have time. (This goes for your other healers, too. You guys are averaging over 50% of the shadow burst debuffs not being dispelled) One way to help with this mechanic is stack who the debuff is on. It targets the 3 closest people, so if you put multiple stacks on one person it requires 1 dispel versus spreading it to people without the debuff.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated (:

Deleted
    Think you've got everything you need from this thread tbh Gami.
    It's not enough to know what talents to use in Mythic, you need to understand what is better in which situation and apply that yourself. And then actually use them rather than wait for the perfect opportunity that never comes. Cooldown's arent just 'oh shit' buttons, especially with this class.

Whilst Jon was being blunt, all of the points he's making are completely valid - a lot of what would help you most should just come from reading Icy veins. We're not talking just copying the spec, actually reading and understanding why.

Most of a Shaman's potency is in cooldowns and understanding when to use them. If that's not your playstyle then i suggest you try something like a monk or paladin instead. (Thats a genuine recommendation, no insult inteded to you or monks & pallies by saying that!)