Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    If you're tired of WoW now, you're not going to play a second version of it.
    Pretty much this. Personally I wouldn't play, let alone buy, a game which isn't but a new iteration of another game of which I'm already sick and tired. At least not if the (stagnant) dev team and the (obsolete) design philosophy behind it are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by aziras View Post
    A couple of reasons why a WoW2 is likely not going to happen anytime soon.

* MMOs are dying. None of the new generation ones actually managed to accumulate enough players to stay afloat. As a genre they exist mainly in KMMORPG-space, because that player base loves microtransactions and can support the business model.

* RPGs have a business model largely dependent on retention. That is often accomplished through character attachment or social aspects such as guilds. "Resetting" is a disaster. The players drop their engagement and are as likely to continue as they would be to start another game. Blizzard have managed to keep the game updated by overhauling the engine quite a bit actually. They most likely know that they have a much better chance at keeping WoW rolling with it's current game iteration than starting over with a WoW2.

* The gaming industry is changing. It is much more focused on "instant action" and competitive play than it was 12 years ago. Back then there were genres that had that gameplay, but it was mainly FPS and RTS games. And even only a subset of those genres had any competitive community going. E-sports is the big elephant here. MMOs does not cater well to E-sports, which makes it a dying breed of AAA game development. When a large portion of your marketing story has to rely on the E-sports scene then it is a problem when you has no real E-sport viable gameplay. The "wannabe revenue" is a significant part of any game franchise's business model these days. People buy the games to tap into a dream. They buy stuff in the games when they realise they are not as good as their "heroes". When enough players are in a game, all those small streams turn into a revenue river.
    Activision owns several E-sports-capable brands. There are even some plays in that direction within Blizzard. With the acquisition of King being the strongest indicator of their strategic focus.
    The time for casual MMO grinding being the optimal business model has passed.

TLR: Anyone wondering what is going to happen to WoW in the long run should look into a Chinese company called Tencent. They more or less dominate gaming in China, is a bigger company than Activision Blizzard, and just to top it off, they own 25% of Activision Blizzard. Investments in WoW2 is not going to happen unless they agree on the business case. And just for reference, MMOs in China are even more F2P/P2W microtransaction-ridden messes than anywhere else.
    The thing is that its not just about attracting the current market but spreading out to the new. Thats generally the goal of any developer trying to make an MMO of today, trying to get the next generation to care and to rekindle the love of the previous one.

It generally has never worked and Legion is no exception, Legion has barely pulled any new players into wow but has retained most of its old or current ones for a time (though recently most have already left because of declining interest).

Now the thing is, being tired of WoW does not mean being tired of WoW 2, because WoW 2 can be a fundamentally different game, a fresh game, new gameplay, focusing less on tab targeting and more on active action RPG aswell as a heavier focus on its PvP aspect instead of the PvE which could offer the fresh experience alot of people are looking for. Since these days the PvP market is being exploited heavily by the MOBA market aswell as the recent FPS MOBA market, its clear who the next target audience is.

An MMO on a mass scale that could be considered battlefield 1 in a fantasy setting would probably be the next step forwards, much like planetside 2, only in a fantasy world, not set on a sci-fi scale. Basically, the next Savage.

WoW 2 would be ideal for this rolemodel, but unfortunatley, its biggest weakness for me would be the fact its a Fantasy MMO, which these days, is like saying its another CoD Clone.

Since nearly every MMO is Fantasy based and not one has really exploited space-fantasy or science fantasy to the fullest (swtor/wildstar tried but neither managed to completely succeed) the next natural evolution is a sci-fi pvp based mmo on a massive scale again, much like planetside 2 but with a pve aspect to it.

Most likely this is why I think that MMO-FPS that blizzard "IS" working on currently is Starcraft the MMO.

When I say WoW 2, I dont literally mean WoW 2 either, rather, the next MMO blizzard makes, needs to evolve forwards, and move away from what it already has. Theres no doubt WoW will keep on living, but to say it will live as a game people will subscribe to for years like they did in the past "is" a dream, its only going to apply at this point to the die hard fans of the franchise while most, will have moved on by then.

Deleted
    Yeah yeah, see you at next year's blizzcon with the next expansion announcement.

Honestly i don't see the need to a WoW 2 version of the game, in some respects i think it is already a WoW2. What i do think they should do is to stop to try to catter to all kind of players.

There would be a very easy solution for them honestly, make the game more extreme and keep on removing some of the RPG elements that i see ppl ask for around these forums like almost removing all the leveling process, focus more on a instant speed action game maybe even a bit more pvp oriented.

At the same time, release legacy servers for ppl that care more about the rpg elements and the slow grind.

What i'm pretty sure won't work is this try to please all model of game, specially when the "all" have so many different interests and motivations to play the game.

I see a lot of opinions stated as facts.

You say it's clear the rng has done more damage than good, you left out "in my opinion"

Deleted
    OMG WoW2 again. Blizzard already said its never gonna happen. And why should it? WoW is constantly changing and progressing, WHAT please shall change in WoW 2 that they couldnt go for in WoW1? The whole idea is utter nonsense.

Deleted
    Looks OP is just tired of WoW, and saying that mythic was a failure most likely indicates that you never even played this game on its hardest difficulty.

Just move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one wants to play a new version of the exact same game. Lots of examples of this exist.

Look at Everquest or Ragnarok, both sequels bombed, so they reinstated the originals and people continued to play those. Stop being deluded. It's the same bullshit rhetoric you hear from people about the "engine" being to old to do modern things. What planet are you on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Bonfire studios has caught my eye because they are talking about making a truly social game. That's the correct approach. I hope they take a shot at an MMO with the priority being a vibrant in-game community and great raids the way vanilla and BC WoW was. No one has tried that, but Bonfire is threatening to. They might be the true WoW killer and force Blizzard to make Wow 2.0.

Another aspect is to make sure the game has edgy characters, as a lot of gamers prefer it. It doesn't mean you cannot have something like Pandaren, but A lot of players like their warlocks, demon hunters, death knights, and rogues.

You should talk with people in chat in the game to make groups. Get to know others. Get rid of the AMM. I do think PvP battlegrounds is ok for AMM since you've already forced people to TALK to form the group in the first place. Maybe guilds are a bad idea. Maybe "circles" in the Google sense is a better fit for MMOs. Or a mix of guilds and circles.

People find meaning in their own online games once they are allowed to build their own massive communities.

Bonfire is still several years away from producing something. Rob Pardo of Bonfire has $25 million to make something big though.

Don't care how strong your argument is, a general rule of thumb is that as soon as you say "WoW killer" you lose all credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthzull View Post
    I could see a WoW 2 being a huge boost. They can do a lot as well to make sure that people who invested into WoW, won't loose anything major, like gold, and possibly even mounts.
    If Blizzard were to make a WoW two it would have to be different than WoW to succeed. Mounts, gold, and other possessions/achievements of players would be irrelevant. If they were to make it similar even with crossovers what would be the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Geobram View Post
    I see a lot of opinions stated as facts.
    How to make an argument 101. It's an old tactic that still works

Yeah beacuse GW2 was such a resounding success.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    Okay, so I am going to be honest and say that I did not read most of that.

That said, there is a HUGE danger that Blizzard would face if they were to create a WoW 2 and replace WoW. And that is that it might ultimately give more people a reason to leave rather than to start fresh, thus killing the franchise after a large investment.

Even in the state the game is in now, they can probably retain enough people to make a profit for nearly another decade. This is because so many of those remaining people have a TON of time (years) invested in their characters, which makes it kind of hard to leave it behind.
    Stated this for years, if something came a long that excited me and held my interest more than WoW I would leave, or if the game was no longer enjoyable I would leave regardless of the 12+ years I have invested.

Quote Originally Posted by aziras View Post
    * MMOs are dying. None of the new generation ones actually managed to accumulate enough players to stay afloat. As a genre they exist mainly in KMMORPG-space, because that player base loves microtransactions and can support the business model.
    This isn't even close to being true. Only what like 2 MMO's in the past 5-10 years have shutdown.

FFXIV cut itself a huge chunk of the market as well.

Ontopic: WoW2 isn't happening anytime soon if at all, Did people not play EQ2 and see how that turned out?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

WoW 2 aint happening, would not work for most of the people. I love my game as it is even with its flaws.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Bonfire studios has caught my eye because they are talking about making a truly social game. That's the correct approach. I hope they take a shot at an MMO with the priority being a vibrant in-game community and great raids the way vanilla and BC WoW was. No one has tried that, but Bonfire is threatening to. They might be the true WoW killer and force Blizzard to make Wow 2.0.

Another aspect is to make sure the game has edgy characters, as a lot of gamers prefer it. It doesn't mean you cannot have something like Pandaren, but A lot of players like their warlocks, demon hunters, death knights, and rogues.

You should talk with people in chat in the game to make groups. Get to know others. Get rid of the AMM. I do think PvP battlegrounds is ok for AMM since you've already forced people to TALK to form the group in the first place. Maybe guilds are a bad idea. Maybe "circles" in the Google sense is a better fit for MMOs. Or a mix of guilds and circles.

People find meaning in their own online games once they are allowed to build their own massive communities.

Bonfire is still several years away from producing something. Rob Pardo of Bonfire has $25 million to make something big though.
    Almost 100% of what you are saying was tried in Wildstar:
    - High focus on social aspects. Even had Circles, guilds, etc.
    - Vanilla/BC style dungeons and raids that were actually really difficult
    - Edgy characters in a mix of Scifi and Wild West. Can't get edgier than that.
    - They did have matchmaking, though.

Don't really have to tell you how that turned out, now do I?

Deleted
    Reason 1: wow still earns alot of money. They would never risk loosing that for a wow2. This will be the only warcraft mmo ever. And it will become f2p instead of a wow2. But I still think there will be another mmo at some point, just not warcraft franchise.
    Last edited by mmoc8d50d84c54; 2016-12-14 at 12:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyT View Post
    I agree with you.
    I hit 880 the day Trial of Valor came out and I was just so burned out.
    It's another same old raid and rng legendary loot.

I think a graphical update would be fantastic.
    Imagine overwatch's graphic with wow's lores.

First person realistically casting greater fireballs.
    First person sneaking behind an enemy and backstab.
    First person turning into a bear and maul the opponent!

I know I know, it probably will never happen.

I sure hope not. That's not what wow is meant to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Is it really? I've never seen a game do that before...

That being said, WoW really does need an engine update... I'm sick of WoW having FPS drops below what I consider smooth (60) while my CPU is only at 35% load and GPU is only at 45-50% load... Other games can max them both out if I uncap the framerate... WoW's engine is too old to properly make use of modern hardware, and that really needs to change.
    I would suggest you to take your PC to someone that actually knows how to properly configured ones. I run WoW with no issues or FPS drops like the ones you mentioned and im playing it almost maxed out in graphic settings...