Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

All these nerfs and complaints is why playing a healer or tank is less stressful

I love that I chose being a healer and tank in wow.

It's a stress free life and you don't have to worry as much about competing as a healer or tank in damage and healing charts, as long as the boss dies you're okay. Let's be honest it won't matter if you're doing 5% more or less healing than another player.

I feel like majority of the player base can't handle being a dps where there is a lot of competition and rng can make others better then you but that's the nature of the game.

I feel as some of you too stressed out about nerfs, buffs, performance and etc. Should try healing or taking and having less stress about numbers and enjoy the game.

Tl;Dr some people can't handle the stress of being a dps.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

True for mid->high tier gaming.

Does not apply to top-tier players, as even the tanks and healers obsess about performance there.

In low-tier gaming it is opposite. Most people do not give a sh** about their dps in LFR. However, because they do not give a s**t about standing in fire either, they stress the healers big time.
    Tanking is also a little more messy in LFR. You not only need to know exactly how to tank each boss, what trash to skip, and where to go. You also need to be able to tandem with another tank you have no clue about what skill level they bring.

TL;DR: Tanking and healing in LFR is not without its own level of stress elements.

Deleted
    lol
    gas thread ban op

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-12-15 at 02:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a top-tier tank, but I do all right in our heroic raid. I'd argue it has its own stresses separate from DPS. You need to have a better understanding of mechanics and you need to work with another tank (in LFR) that may or may not know the fight, or, thinks they're god and they don't need you and you end up a in tug-of-war for threat.

DPS have their own problems with grouping/splitting mechanics and obviously, performing as well as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm not a top-tier tank, but I do all right in our heroic raid. I'd argue it has its own stresses separate from DPS. You need to have a better understanding of mechanics and you need to work with another tank (in LFR) that may or may not know the fight, or, thinks they're god and they don't need you and you end up a in tug-of-war for threat.

DPS have their own problems with grouping/splitting mechanics and obviously, performing as well as they can.
    hahahaha.

Tanks barely need to know any mechanics. They don't effect them. Tank just needs to learn how to get hit in the face. Tanking is ezi-mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Tanks barely need to know any mechanics. They don't effect them. Tank just needs to learn how to get hit in the face. Tanking is ezi-mode.
    Right! So...I don't need to know on heroic Odyn that I have to swap the boss to take on Hymdall (off-tank on Hyrja) while keeping him at least 35 yards away and moving out for his horn, avoiding the balls from shattered spears, swapping Odyn on Odyn's Favor (5+ stacks), swapping on his spear and running at least 20+ yards away, moving to cleared parts of the room during the third phase (until 10%)...I mean, none of those are mechanics. We can totally down this boss if I stand in one spot and just let him smack me around. Right, guys? Right? Guys?

As a tank I can name only 1 source of stress in groups, dd bastards who run ahead of tanks and pull extra trash while spamming "faster, faster, lel!". Ugh... But I'm kinda ok w/ healers doing so, cuz luckily quite often they know if they're be able to keep me alive or not

I agree to an extent. A lot of players think because a group living or dying is solely on those roles at times that it's this super hard and stressful job, when in reality you're just kicking back and enjoying the time.

I do completely agree when you said that most players can't handle being DPS. It may sound rude or untrue, or anything else that would be taken as a bad thing but the fact of the matter is, a ton of people do little things to keep their numbers high because they can't imagine being lower on the charts, like pulling instead of the tanks, ignoring marked targets, running off and trying to solo mobs to prove they are "1337" It's very competitive in nature and most people are not built to be competitive.

OP, I also play a Tank and Healer and I could never imagine going back to DPS. The Co-GM of my guild is a friend of mine for the last 12 years and he refused to do anything aside from DPS on his Rogue and when our guild was in need of an OT I jokingly said he should do it and he refused for a few days and eventually said he'll give it a shot. We found someone who may have worked out as a tank and he said no, that he couldn't imagine going back to DPS.

There are so many benefits to being a tank and one major one being, you get to pick your team because for every 1 Tank there are 20-30 DPS wanting a spot. This also ties into the whole DPS being kicked for stupid things, as a Tank I want DPS who will try hard and be serious but will not compromise the raid/dungeon because they want to pad numbers. You will be removed immediately for stuff like that because I have 20-30 people waiting to take that spot and can have them there within a minute or two.

TL;DR being a tank is awesome

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Holy paladin, 0 class changes so far on PTR , no sweeping legendary changes either, except buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    I love that I chose being a healer and tank in wow.

It's a stress free life and you don't have to worry as much about competing as a healer or tank in damage and healing charts, as long as the boss dies you're okay. Let's be honest it won't matter if you're doing 5% more or less healing than another player.

I feel like majority of the player base can't handle being a dps where there is a lot of competition and rng can make others better then you but that's the nature of the game.

I feel as some of you too stressed out about nerfs, buffs, performance and etc. Should try healing or taking and having less stress about numbers and enjoy the game.

Tl;Dr some people can't handle the stress of being a dps.
    Really? Healers not preforming has been my guilds top issue this expantion.
    Have replace quite a few so far. There are also less healing and tank spots so the competition is more fierce.

Deleted
    don't know about tanking but dps role is definitely less stressful than healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Right! So...I don't need to know on heroic Odyn that I have to swap the boss to take on Hymdall (off-tank on Hyrja) while keeping him at least 35 yards away and moving out for his horn, avoiding the balls from shattered spears, swapping Odyn on Odyn's Favor (5+ stacks), swapping on his spear and running at least 20+ yards away, moving to cleared parts of the room during the third phase (until 10%)...I mean, none of those are mechanics. We can totally down this boss if I stand in one spot and just let him smack me around. Right, guys? Right? Guys?
    Stop pretending that tanking is difficult. And if you read my post properly then you would know that tanks need to know how to get hit in the face with stuff (taunting). "Oh no. I have to learn a number, and then press a button on that number. However will I cope. Oh no, there is a thing under me. Do I move or do I just soak it cause I am a tank. There is a big scary mob over there. Should I hit it? It is killing all of the dps, I must have to hit it right? What are these magic balls? Oh shit, I cant move. Now I can. Why does this mob have a swirly thing around it. I better read this buff I have never seen before and do what it says".

Tanks don't need to know mechanics. They can largely ignore almost everything cause they can soak it and all they need to do is taunt at the right time. DPS and mostly healers need to be constantly looking out for shit that will probably kill them. Tanking is ezi-mode. get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop pretending that tanking is difficult. And if you read my post properly then you would know that tanks need to know how to get hit in the face with stuff (taunting). "Oh no. I have to learn a number, and then press a button on that number. However will I cope. Oh no, there is a thing under me. Do I move or do I just soak it cause I am a tank. There is a big scary mob over there. Should I hit it? It is killing all of the dps, I must have to hit it right? What are these magic balls? Oh shit, I cant move. Now I can. Why does this mob have a swirly thing around it. I better read this buff I have never seen before and do what it says".

Tanks don't need to know mechanics. They can largely ignore almost everything cause they can soak it and all they need to do is taunt at the right time. DPS and mostly healers need to be constantly looking out for shit that will probably kill them. Tanking is ezi-mode. get over it.
    Yeah you keep thinking that all we do is stand and press taunt. I'm not interested in a dick-measuring contest with you.

I have known so many DPSers that believed tanking was nothing but standing there and being hit. Then they rolled a tanking alt and absolutely and utterly failed, its always so funny. Lets just leave them in their dillusions.

I would love to see you tank mythic raids man, good luck with that logic of yours, I'm certain you're gonna be one of the popular tanks.

Deleted
    That's what you want to end up with. people standing still and doing maxx dps and not dying. as gear and boss nerfs come that's how most fights end up to be tank and spank. But when you high end cutting egde you do not fuck with tactics and just stand still

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    I have known so many DPSers that believed tanking was nothing but standing there and being hit. Then they rolled a tanking alt and absolutely and utterly failed, its always so funny. Lets just leave them in their dillusions.
    Yes it can be a challenge. When you figured out how to use CD you also need to know when to use what and at what boss ability. You need to know other stuff than DPS needs to.
    For a DPS you just have to follow and do your thing. The tank needs to play more dynamic with CDs and think about positioning. And if the tank fails everyone will blame him or her.

Basically as a tank you need to prepare In a other way than DPS have to.
    Healers have to know what stuff to dispell and what to heal through. They also have to save those DPS that screws up by standing in stuff or isn't using survivability right, because they want to be top damage.

A pet peeve of mine since WoTLK really has been that DPS is all about the numbers you can generate, with few exceptions. To the point where people pad the meter so that they don't get called out when the situation might be better to single target or do something else.

In Vanilla and TBC damage meters were shunned in a 5 man environment. Since threat was a thing back then DPS could only do as much as the tank allowed, and to be fair, I could give two squats about how much damage you could put out. I cared about how resourceful you were as a DPS class. Can you CC? Can you re-apply CC? Can you kite in case the tank loses aggro or dies? Can you peel your for your healer if your tank can't? Can you stunlock a mob to mitigate damage on the tank? Can you watch your aggro?

Every pull you had to pause and analyze what tools your group had available and what could work on a set of mobs. For example you might think your all swell if you have a mage until you remember they can't poly Dragonkin or Beast, which means you have to think outside the box.

Now it's all about busting out as much damage as you possibly can. The higher your damage the faster things die, the faster the run is and the less likely things go south. So you only go for who has the highest ilvl and screw everyone else. As a Tank or Healer if your not 880+ your disregarded when I make a pug. Where as back when threat was a thing a DPS that was overgeared could actually be a liablity since they could pull threat so easily. I can see how this would be frustrating for DPS players who don't have a guild or regular group of friends to play with. Or simply don't have good legendaries.

Now I personally don't mind the playstyle of blowing my DPS wad, but it's rather mindless, and honestly back when threat was a thing, it added an extra layer of threat to the DPS play style. That fear of pulling aggro, because Heroic mobs in TBC would damn near 1 shot anyone that isn't a tank and in raids it could cause a wipe by losing boss positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by aziras View Post
    Most people do not give a sh** about their dps in LFR.
    I queued as DPS for the satchel and zoned in to combat on X so I never got a chance to switch to feral, so I did 75K dps as resto with balance affinity. That's only slightly worse than I can do as Feral, cuz I suck at feral. So, now I just queue for dps satchel and dps i resto spec. Gets the job done. Two Tranq's and I'm top heals as well... lulz.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tremin View Post
    I would love to see you tank mythic raids man, good luck with that logic of yours, I'm certain you're gonna be one of the popular tanks.
    Yep, with tab targeting having NEVER worked for me, taunting that runaway mob is basically impossible for me. I can't "click it" cuz clicking is bad per the internets, so... it's just out there. That's how i tank. Ooops, and to add... why I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tremin View Post
    He is right in one respect: there are really boring fights out there for tanks where we really do stand in one spot and taunt off. Most fights, though, have more mechanics than that.

What really makes a good tank, healer, OR dps is their ability to be aware of the entire raid at all times and react accordingly when something goes wrong. We're all human and we all make mistakes, and a good team is one that can turn that mistake into a win (if possible). It's not all about the mechanics.

All three roles have their own stresses. Tanks need to coordinate with the other tank(s) and control the flow of the fight. Healers need to react well to unavoidable raid damage and to mistakes/avoidable damage someone takes anyway. DPS need to time their cooldowns while completing mechanics specifically for them and assist the tanks/healers with things like control, interrupting, and positioning.

No one spec is "the most stressful". It all depends on you and what you enjoy and your level of comfort with the skill needed to perform your role.