Page 1 of 36
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Plus-size passengers reveal anguish of 'flying while fat'

The issue of overweight passengers on planes remains a sensitive subject as people on both sides of the argument continue to hash it out. Should heavier individuals have to pay more, or should airlines make roomier seats?

While the battle continues, one filmmaker decided to focus on the individuals at the center of the situation. London-based activist and artist Stacy Bias created "Flying While Fat," an animated short film that she hopes will spark a conversation about the acceptance of plus-size travelers.

“Fat people are disparaged and mocked regularly in the media and in popular culture, and the airplane is one of the places where that hostility hits a climax,” Bias told TODAY. “So we talk about fat people regularly but we rarely talk with them, and this project is a counterbalance, the other side of a one-sided story.”

The six-minute film features the actual voices of some of the people Bias interviewed, detailing the nightmare experiences they’ve gone through on planes because of their size. "Other passengers look at you and you get ‘The Expression’ — being gazed at by everyone on the plane who’s like hoping and praying you’re not coming to sit next to them,” says one woman.

Others recall being publicly chastised in front of the whole plane. “This woman, she was so petite, but she was still complaining about having to sit next to me…loudly,” reveals another flier.

Some people share how they've been physically hurt by fellow passengers. “I had a guy once slam the arm down in between us, which is really painful,” says one woman. “Somebody slamming something into the side of your body hurts!” She wasn't alone in her experience, either. Another person says, “He kept pushing the arm down which was like pushing into my belly and my thigh."

The filmmaker herself, though not in the video, admitted she’s gone through several tough experiences. “The worst was the time a group of approximately eight rowdy men harassed me through the airport and they happened to be seated in a circle around me on the plane,” said Bias. “One of the flight crew caught what was happening and moved me to another section of the plane. But I was moved from the extra legroom seating, which I had paid for, back into coach without the offer of a refund.”

Now she hopes publicity around her film will help drive a larger conversation. “While airlines continue to shrink space to maximize profitability, the physical and social pressure increases for passengers whose bodies fall outside subjective medians,” she said. “Airplanes are hostile spaces for fat people and while material changes to airplanes will be a long battle, we can start changing the culture on the planes immediately from one of hostility to one of tolerance and mutual respect.”
    http://www.today.com/money/flying-wh...nguish-t106050

I'm not sure I follow this argument at all.
    If they are so large that they encroach into their neighbour's seat then they should buy 2 seats or buy a business class fare.
    It's not like air travel is something that is absolutely necessary.

Flying with a fat person sitting at your side is rather horrible.

No idea why they haven't put some weight limit on flying so you don't intrude on other passengers space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennu View Post
    Flying with a fat person sitting at your side is rather horrible.

No idea why they haven't put some weight limit on flying so you don't intrude on other passengers space.
    Because weight is subjective? Do you honestly feel like a 240 pound man who is 6'4 should have to pay for 2 seats while a 220lb 5'0 female can get away with 1 seat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Because weight is subjective? Do you honestly feel like a 240 pound man who is 6'4 should have to pay for 2 seats while a 220lb 5'0 female can get away with 1 seat?
    If they can't not intrude on other passengers space then they should indeed pay.

If you take up more than one seat, you should pay for more than one seat... I can see exceptions being made if you are that large due to a legitimate medical issue, but that is a very small fraction of the people that are that large.

Quote Originally Posted by lucred View Post
    If you take up more than one seat, you should pay for more than one seat... I can see exceptions being made if you are that large due to a legitimate medical issue, but that is a very small fraction of the people that are that large.
    You don't get fat from medical issues. You get fat because you eat too much and move too little.

Medical issues could cause you to be a little overweight but not fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    This, and it's a pain in the ass as a tall person too. "Just buy 2 seats" is a terrible argument. Some people struggle to get money for a flight, and to double the cost is just a stupid solution.

i think us fat/really musclely people will have to deal with it by hoping that buying two seats will work for us until airlines decide to put larger seats in their airplains

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    This, and it's a pain in the ass as a tall person too. "Just buy 2 seats" is a terrible argument. Some people struggle to get money for a flight, and to double the cost is just a stupid solution.
    If you can't afford it then don't fly. Pretty simple. I don't go around doing things I can't afford. Why should flying be a special case?

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    I plan on flying on 4 flights in the next 3 months, and if a fat person sits next to me and invades my seat space i paid for im making one hell of a scene. because if your too fat to fit in a damn airplane seat you need to drive yourself, or get in the back of the plane were theres room for 2 seaters. liberal people are so extreme now that we have to accept the fatties for who they are and sacrifice personal space on a plane even if it means that the persons fat rolls are touching you for 3 hours. unbelieveable, stay away from me fatties.

7+ Year Old Account
    We knew he'd get around to a veiled fat shaming thread eventually.

OT: Honestly, they should just have a section of larger seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennu View Post
    If you can't afford it then don't fly. Pretty simple. I don't go around doing things I can't afford. Why should flying be a special case?
    Thats why people save, to do things. Why make it more expensive? People save up for material things, why is a vacation any different? This is so dense of a comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.today.com/money/flying-wh...nguish-t106050

I'm not sure I follow this argument at all.
    If they are so large that they encroach into their neighbour's seat then they should buy 2 seats or buy a business class fare.
    It's not like air travel is something that is absolutely necessary.
    You are going to drive these people to suicide with your cyber bullying Tennisace. You would then be arrested if cyberbullying were to become a crime.

Thats why people save, to do things. Why make it more expensive? People save up for material things, why is a vacation any different? This is so dense of a comment.
    you really honestly think that if you use more of something, in this case AIRPLANE SPACE, that you should NOT be charged more??

But you said struggle to get money for a flight. If they struggle to get money for a flight they ought to think of more important matters than a vacation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Airlines think the average flyer is 5' 7" tall with a 26-32" waist the way their seats are designed.

Lose weight... then you won't have to pay for 2 seats and be healthier and save on food

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    you really honestly think that if you use more of something, in this case SPACE, that you should NOT be charged more??
    If you use more of a subscription than someone else should they charge you more? I see lots of people who cant put their bags in the storage areas because people use that up too. Maybe we should also charge them more.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    its pretty dense to think that even though you are 300 pounds and take up two seats on a plane that you will pay for one seat and ruin someones flight. i dont understand how fat people ( the ones who take up more than one seat on a plane ) have the illusion that they arent going to disgust someone and invade someones space.

Then get off your lazy ass and stop being fat.