Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Get a emergency exit row. Simple enough. Or get a business class/ premium economy seat.
    This. I am 6'4". But I have long legs for my height. I either see about getting an emergency row seat, or I pay extra for business class. Those are my options and I deal with it. They airline is not going to resize everything that's sized for the average person.

But being 6'8", unless you are grossly overweight, you are not causing discomfort for people next to you because of your height.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest, I'm of the large size myself, and really, I kind of agree, that if you are of a larger size, paying extra for larger seats is fine. When I go to the cinema, I always gets the vip seats because their slightly broader and I can enjoy the movie better.
    I just expect the option to be there, as in the option to pay for larger seating. We do live in a capitalist society after all, and corporate will try and bleed money where they can, so getting it from larger peoples size problems just seems par for the course.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    some airlines offer special seats for extra tall people. usually up the front where there is a little extra leg room.

ofc you have to pay extra.
    Yeah, I only fly Jet Blue and do the extra room thing. It's not that bad really and I can even make off boarding quicker. I've passed luggage to people in the front from mid jet. Instead of waiting for them to scoot back and then out, I just grab it and pass it over people's heads. Plus, no one talked crap... tall is scarier than fat...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like something that could be solved on the fat person's end, not by giving them special privileges to cater to their gluttony.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    fat people should fly in the cargo area

and pay per kilo

I hate fat people, lose some weight already you monstrosities

If you weigh as much as 2 average people, and take up nearly as much space as 2 average people, then you should buy two bloody seats and not put the other people in your seating row through several hours of personal-space-invasion hell just because you feel like cramming yourself into a single seat designed for a person half your size. The airline should not be gratuitously obliged to cater to the fact that you are morbidly obese by being forced to give up a full paying seat for free just so everybody around you can feel more comfortable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennu View Post
    Same amount of effort will put you as slightly overweight if you have problems with maintaining weight, you won't be fat. This trend of people being so fat that they have troubles fitting through doorways and so on is a recent thing caused by a sedentary lifestyle with too much food intake relative to your activity level.

We should see far more fat people than we do if it wasn't caused by lifestyle. Both present and historically.
    We don't live in the past. We don't need to walk as much as we needed just to get by. Additionally, people's bodies evolve. With higher fat content in most easily available food over the last century, our bodies change.

Second, how can you say for sure if the person who is fat is because he is just lazy as fuck or actually has a slower metabolism?

Quote Originally Posted by st33l View Post
    We don't live in the past. We don't need to walk as much as we needed just to get by. Additionally, people's bodies evolve. With higher fat content in most easily available food over the last century, our bodies change.
    I don't think you quite understand how evolution works. It takes a hell of a lot more then 2 or 3 generations for "evolution" to occur, and simply eating somewhat unhealthy food over that period of time isn't going to magically cause a genetic effect that will significantly increase the average body weight of a population. Attempting to blame the growing obesity problem on evolution, while talking about a time frame that tiny, is downright stupid. I mean, christ, we haven't had a practical biological need for an appendix for more than 3 thousand years, and evolution still hasn't managed to get rid of that, yet you seriously think we are evolving to be fatter over less then a century? Get real.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-12-17 at 01:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I eat less food. It's not a complicated algorithm.
    how do you eat less food when food tastes so good
    Hi

I wonder how many people in this thread are the same people I see at the gym making fun of the fat person trying to lose weight. There are a few of you who are coming off this way to me and I find it disgusting that some of you are just so vial towards any human being.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    fat/really musclely people
    pick one fam

I can't understand all this hate, and how moderators allow it.

When overweight is the normal state (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm) society needs to accommodate for them, even at the expense of the minority.

You are asking, "why should I pay more, to make seats more comfortable for others", when the real question is "why are seats dis-comfortable so a minority can pay less?"

Deleted
    Since obesity is a health hazard and these people do it to themselves.. and shaming works, awesome?

You shouldn't concern yourself with "weight" unless you're concerned with your ticket price because of fuel costs.

If someone is on your side of the seat, that's a different story. Then you can complain. But that's more about body type (where height and weight also play a factor).

Quote Originally Posted by st33l View Post
    This has nothing to do with evolution. It has to do with peoples lifestyles being sedentary because they're lazy.

Toss aside your feelings about fat people sitting next to you and having to pay for an extra seat and think about this:

Planes are getting designed with less leg room / seat room overall in an attempt to fit more people on a plane to obviously sell more seats.
    Now some airlines are charging YOU to place your items in an overhead bin - on top of charging you to put luggage in the luggage compartment.

So overall - fuck the airlines. They want to milk everyone for every penny they possibly can, using the weight of people is just another excuse to do so. Don't get me wrong, I hate sitting next to a fat person too, but seriously, you have to admit the airlines are trying to milk as many people as they can. If you aren't fat, you're going to pay to take your shit with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    Toss aside your feelings about fat people sitting next to you and having to pay for an extra seat and think about this:

Planes are getting designed with less leg room / seat room overall in an attempt to fit more people on a plane to obviously sell more seats.
    Now some airlines are charging YOU to place your items in an overhead bin - on top of charging you to put luggage in the luggage compartment.

So overall - fuck the airlines. They want to milk everyone for every penny they possibly can, using the weight of people is just another excuse to do so. Don't get me wrong, I hate sitting next to a fat person too, but seriously, you have to admit the airlines are trying to milk as many people as they can. If you aren't fat, you're going to pay to take your shit with you.
    So stop paying for it if you don't like how they're doing conducting their business.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    See "language you don't like" is something like "I hate the word moist, please don't use it" or "no foul language please". Shaming people is a character attack loaded with heaps of judgment when the shamer really knows nothing about the person and his/her situation. The problem is that there is a difference between political correctness and human decency. Arguing against fat shaming isn't about being politically correct, it's about being a decent human being. Please don't conflate the two.

Also, I hope you see the irony of using the SJW buzzword to try to call out things I'm saying as buzzwords
    Human decency as a justification for such a position ends when you start using language as a tool to attack the way other people speak and/or think. It's not a character attack to say people are fat. It's not a character attack to talk about how other people are negatively impacted because people are fat. It's not a character attack to be disgusted by something one finds disgusting, even if we're talking about other people. And it's not a character attack to express that you feel disgusted by something, even if it possibly offends other people because you're talking about them. One isn't attacking the character of another person when they're talking about weight, they're commenting on a physical characteristic that is (in almost all cases of obesity) entirely in the control of the person they're talking about. Not liking the fact that someone is talking about something someone might be ashamed of or feel bad about doesn't, in any way, mean that the commentary is ad hominem or attacking their reputation or personality. Trying to shame people who you think are trying to shame other people is absolutely politically correct in action. And the irony of me using buzzwords to talk about the buzzwords you used to shame people who were shaming other people wasn't lost on me, it was entirely intentional I thought it was pretty funny actually.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall and wide. I would consider myself overweight. I've never had issues fitting in Airplane Seats.

People must be some next level obese to overflow plane seats so much they need to buy a second.

From reading the whole thread there are 3 things I would like to comment.

1 if you are fat stop eating and start working out. Problem solved
    2 if you are sending a package via mail or w/e you pay for the size of the package it's not like shipping a motorbike costs the same as a cellphone. Thereby the same if you are disgustingly fat you should pay for the extra seat.

3 regarding the fat shaming thing. As a smoker you constantly get people saying it's disgusting to smoke and to not smoke near them bla bla bla. I generally try to avoid the vicinity of others as to not affect them with passive smoking. Maybe you fatties should think of trying to not effect people with your fattiness as Imo they are both different yet the same. Both are a bad choice YOU make and should therefore not make it affect others.