Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I sometimes tip taxi drivers (whom I pay in cash).
    Uber is illegal here.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimon-ZJ View Post
    Riiiiiight
    Well, where I live, you can drive five to eight minutes and easily not encounter any house/building or person, easily due to the amount of wilderness. So, it isn't entirely surprising.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Uber is perfectly legal in many places. It is in my city, and is half the price of overpriced cabs.
    Your disdain seems rather odd.
    What is odd about disdain for a business model that revolves around getting an advantage over the competion by ignoring the law everyone else has to follow?

I dont use uber at all

Deleted
    Tipping is not a thing here in Northern Ireland. We barely even have Uber. I never tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    When the laws are stupid and restrain competition, that's a good thing.
    The laws are sensible and allow for competition to exist in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I dont use uber at all
    Cool story. Why bother?

7+ Year Old Account
    No, because uber only takes like 30%, the driver gets the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    The laws are sensible and allow for competition to exist in the first place.
    How do they allow for competition when nobody outside of the Yellow Cab Company can afford one million dollars to put one taxicab into service, and in addition limit the number of medallions that exist so that they can hoard them all and nobody else can buy a medallion even if they did have the money. If the medallions were a reasonable price ($5,000) and there were an unlimited number of them available for purchase, then I would say they allow for competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No. When I do use an Uber I don't tip them.
    That's pretty slimy, do you tip a taxi driver?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    No, because uber only takes like 30%, the driver gets the rest.
    Lol take a trip to uber forums and see what uber drivers actually get.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    How does a law that says that you have to pay close to a million dollars (in NYC) to operate a taxi at all promote competition?
    NYC is in Danemark now?
    How is the situation in NYC relevant to Uber breaking the law in European countries?

If you find some laws in one country unjust then work towards improving the situation, but it does not give you the right to ignore unrelated laws in other countries just to make some money. And if you do, be prepared to face the disdan and emnity of the locals whose laws you break to get in front of the local, law abidding competition.

Cool story. Why bother?
    Why not bro?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't use Uber or Lyft because I think it is unethical for trust funds to circumvent local laws and pay people off so they can start unlicensed national taxi driver companies. Those taxi driver medallions required to drive in cities like Chicago were worth the cost of a house before Uber and Lyft started their national corruption scheme.

Also, good luck to you if you get into an accident while in an Uber or Lyft vehicle.
    In my country taxi drivers would sometimes ask 50 lei (11.1 euros) for a trip that's worth 10 lei (2.2 euros) many times. Many go the long way when the person doesn't know the direction well to further increase the price. Some are exceptionally rude and don't give a shit for safety (had a taxi driver that would talk on the phone and check on his door by having it open while in movement once for example). They also take advantage of foreign people by asking them 10x times the cost of the ride. And if you don't tip, many will swear at you. If you're crippled, like we had a woman once, you're more likely to be spit on then taken on a ride.
    Of course, there are good taxi drivers, but there are so many bad ones that it's harder and harder to find those.
    So, the appearance of Uber here is truly amazing. Some competition might force taxi companies to actually get good drivers or go bankrupt.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2016-12-19 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Of course, there are good taxi drivers, but there are so many bad ones that it's harder and harder to find those.
    If that is the case get your state to do its job and have their taxi licence taken from those taxi drivers and the companies keeping them.

Deleted
    Don't use Uber or any app like that...
    I hardly ever use taxies...
    and i never tipp...

Such is life in a country where having your own car is normal and where you can be sure people are paid their price so tipping isn't the norm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    If that is the case get your state to do its job and have their taxi licence taken from those taxi drivers and the companies keeping them.
    That would require a movement from more than a few people. And since there's an apathy about movements regarding anything here since not much changes even when they do due to corruption, people don't really do it.

So, essentially, to fix this, I'd have to first fix my country and get rid of most corruption. With only a few people. Yeah... you know what, taking an Uber ride instead seems like an easier thing to do.
    It would be nice to fix my country, and I've participated to movements that attempted to change stuff in the better. I saw that it doesn't change or, at most, it changes for a few days or weeks then returns to the previous problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I do not.

Servant folk should know their place. Plus, it's in their own best interest: if I give them money beyond the warranted amount I'll be instilling ideals of greed and capitalist aspirations, rather than letting them accept their position in life. This will in the long run only hurt them - and society as a whole - because the lower class needs to stay put.

I have nothing but respect for servant folk. They are a necessary aspect of society. If all the drivers quit, who'd drive us? If all the cooks and waiters disappeared, who would feed us? That's why I feel that it is important that we keep them in their place and do not pay them in excess so that they'll stay on the job, perform their duties, but without money for leisure spending, education, or opportunity to advance beyond their specified role.
    But, my queen, even peasants must be placated. What is a tip if not a mere sliver from your purse? What is the dream of the commonfolk if not a drop in the ocean of their vacant misery?

Let them eat cake.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Uber drivers in the uk are making below minimum wage, so I tip them as I would any low paid service job.
    Uber takes 20% of each fare. For a $100 fare the driver gets $80. That's way more than cab drivers make unless they own the business.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    "Never pee directly into the wind"

I believe at least here UBER is operating illegally (they use drivers that are not allowed by law to perform public transport - you needed a separate license for that for a long time now, as a driver, way before UBER; they also circumvent other laws that limit the number of taxies available in a city but this is not so important). Because of this I don't tip - prices are higher than taxis anyway, usually way higher.

On the other hand taxis here are in such a shit state that sometimes you just have to UBER. Taxis never take orders at morning rush, they only wait at busy intersections, so if you don't live near one you're screwed; taxis never take orders Friday/Saturday evening, when people may leave home to go out - same as before, easier to pick-up in busy places; taxis rarely take orders when it's raining, snowing, evening rush - they don't like working during rush hour. I've also had stuff stolen by a taxi driver (he left with my backpack and without me paying the fare when he was supposed to wait and a big tip promised). If you don't tip taxi drivers you will get yelled at, maybe even beaten - and they never have change.