Thread: Exotic pets

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of our family friends shot a wild baboon on his farm and found that it had a baby with it. He didn't kill the baby baboon but raised it as a pet on the farm.

I haven't visited the farm again but if I recall correctly he shot it after about two years when it was getting a bit big and aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    A scorpion

The one I have my eye on is a green iguana, they grow a fair size (4 foot), I can get a adult one and its max size enclosure for 200 which is stupidly cheap,
    Personal opinion, go tarantula over scorpion (better temperament.)

Also, well cared for green iguanas can get upwards of 6' in total length with about 2.5-3' of that being a whip like tail. Took a nasty tail swipe from a full grown male nearly 20 years ago, he split the skin bad enough that I still have a faint scar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post

I have a snek.
    i really love snakes and other reptiles, but i don't want to own one because i'd have to feed it living things v.v

i did have a fire-bellied toad for a few years when i was younger. gave him crickets and stuff. i don't even think i have it in me to do that much anymore. he was a real cutie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    Personal opinion, go tarantula over scorpion (better temperament.)

Also, well cared for green iguanas can get upwards of 6' in total length with about 2.5-3' of that being a whip like tail. Took a nasty tail swipe from a full grown male nearly 20 years ago, he split the skin bad enough that I still have a faint scar.
    everyone always told me that iguanas were really mean.

always wanted one as a kid, cause when you're a kid that's into reptiles you see giant green lizards and immediately want one lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never fed her with live animals. It is actually illegal here in Finland to use live food. I buy the rats I feed her from pet store where they have a freezer stacked with them, and then just thaw the rats in hot water, dry them, and then feed them to her.
    ah. still kinda gruesome honestly. but better than live.

strange that it's illegal to feed live, aren't there some species that will only eat living prey?

Deleted
    I have 2 axolotls

I cannot post links sorry perhaps someone else could help out?

I've thought about getting a mini-pig or potbellied pig. Problems with that even, if you pet the pig that's telling the pig that it's the alpha pig and it will start acting like the boss. They get tusks you have to clip or they can gut the neighbor's dog. Hooves need care, etc.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I honestly don't know. I've never heard of that kind of species. It is probably enough for most as long as the food is warm, and that the snake can smell it, and you simulate movement by wriggling it around with really long pliers (I've always been too lazy for this and just hold the rats by their tails).
    we had a family friend that had red tail boas, and she always just threw live mice in for the smaller one.

yours is a rat snake or a corn snake? i know rat snakes come in that pretty orange color too, not just black.

for a couple years a huge rat snake would get in my chicken pen hunting for eggs. i always just let him be, though, i did want to try to hold him. they're very very calm and slow moving. had a big scar like somebody probably whacked him with a hoe or something.

I honestly don't know. I've never heard of that kind of species. It is probably enough for most as long as the food is warm, and that the snake can smell it, and you simulate movement by wriggling it around with really long pliers (I've always been too lazy for this and just hold the rats by their tails).
    Its illegal in Australia as well. There is some very picky animals that are hard to feed dead mice etc too, but you can actually force feed snakes somewhat too. We have currently 4 Childrens Pythons which arent really exotic atleast here. Also dogs and cats but cant really have too much exotic as moving for work (military) makes getting licensing and other paperwork a hassle even just for standard animals.

Also in most snake enclosures its incredibly dangerous to the snake to feed live mice/rats as the snake is actually very delicate and if the rodent manages to bite the snake it can easily kill them/lead to vet visits which wont be cheap for the infection. In the wild snakes will properly ambush prey etc. In a small enclosure, the rodent is already scared and can tell theres a predator nearby so is alot harder to cleanly kill.

Mine is corn snake. Tried feeding the quail eggs few times, but she doesn't take them.
    ah, corn snakes are pretty small. only ever seen one, and my landlord was in the process of murdering it v.v

we got these little ring neck snakes around here that are neat. they're too small to hurt if they bite you and never really try to, but they stink like hell when they're messed with. they're actually slightly venomous, but it's like bee sting venom basically.

Those ringnecks are pretty cute.
    that they are. used to see one or two every summer, but when i had more chickens they stopped showing up and i saw why one day. they caught one and were trying to eat it, and i tried to catch them but they were too fast for me. idk if he got away or they ate it v.v

they caught the skinks and fence post lizards too. but not the gigantic wolf spiders -_-

I have two bengal cats in my house.

Not exactly exotic, but he is one of the largest Belgiums I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I'm 6' tall, if that gives you some indication of his size. That was Halloween day when I walked him out of the auction barn I bought him in in New Holland. He's underweight by about 500 lbs far as we can tell( still is, only gained maybe a 100 pounds, man he is not an easy keeper, wish I could give him the weight I'm loosing).
    This photo was us having a discussion who was walking whom, I'm still not sure I came out the winner in that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Apparently it's just California that they're illegal in.
    Everything is illegal in California, except pot of course, the hippies gotta have that!

I have a cat that thinks it's a dog.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I've got an annoying exotic pet, it spends all his time with a headset on and controller in his hand... And today (23rd December) it's turned 13....

Kids are wonderful pets, but need a lot of maintenance.

I used to have a turtle, until I moved in. That's when I had to give him away to a natural reserve. I'll look if I have a photo of him.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    A nocturnal gliding rodent seems an unlikely choice of pet.
    sugar gliders aren't rodents. They're marsupials. More closely related to kangaroos and koala bears.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    @mayhem008, sometimes I honestly think that you're maintaining a database of GenOT posters.
    I will update my database. thank you.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I used to have a box turtle.

One of my distant cousins in West Virginia has a little white-tailed fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    One of my dogs has blue eyes.
    My dog only has one blue eye. He is named Bluie.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    sugar gliders aren't rodents. They're marsupials. More closely related to kangaroos and koala bears.
    nah they're more closely related to australia's version of opossums- kangaroos and koalas are both from drastically different families (it's kinda like lumping say, rabbits, deer and pandas into one group)

you can't keep sugar gliders as pets in australia, though. they're a protected species and the government takes wildlife very seriously over here, and even the native species you can keep as pets, you need to get licenses for

i don't have any exotic pets currently, but i'd love to get a blue-tongue or similar big fat lizard. i'd like a corn snake (they come in a lot of really lovely morphs) but they're illegal over here iirc (most non-native things that aren't your usual domestic pet species are, and those pet species are already endemic pests in australia anyway so there isn't much use outlawing them)