Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda like when Darth Maul and co fight it it out in some random closing opening forcefield gates. Star wars is rife with plot devices that are ridiculous.

It was pretty good imo.
    The bad: The characters are for the most part very dull and I didn't care how it went for either one of them. This part was much worse than TFA, where the characters are all very charismatic and have depth. The film itself is dour as heck, there is like no joy whatsoever in it. They did have some comic relief, but it didn't really lift the movie up from just being extremely dour, which doesn't feel very Star Wars to me. Fun action adventure in space? More like ultra serious, dark war movie in space. Some things were really off, like CGI Tarking and Leia being extremely distracting for me. Vader was weird, both in how he looked and how he sounded. I can't put my finger on it but it didn't feel right at all in a very strong way.

Some of the fan-service felt extremely shoe-horned. Like burn-face and butt-face. Also Vader's out of character massacre at the end. Well maybe it's in character if you consider episode 1-3 now that I think of it. Either way, i begrudgingly enjoyed that scene a lot, it was totally badass and very well shot and scored.

Now to the good stuff:
    Very competently made movie across the board. The fan service is for the most part very nice and appreciated, there were some exceptions where it felt shoe-horned just because it needed to be in there though. Combat scenes are very well shot and acted, R1 definitely has the coolest battles I've seen in SW so far. Great that they tried to go outside the framework of Star Wars and do something new, it's definitely very different from the others in the franchise.

Overall I'd say it's a pretty solid movie. Despite my grievances with it I think it was better than allright. OT and Force awakens are one or two steps higher, but it's definitely worth to see R1 in the cinemas.

I really liked the cast in Rogue One so I'm sad they are all dead. I find the cast of Ep7 questionable so its going to be a struggle watching 8 and 9 (I only like Poe in Ep7).

Yep, loved the movie. It has the most climatic portion that no other Star Wars movies comes close to reaching, the fights were very well done and the ending was simply amazing. My one complaint simply revolves around the cast itself. Their characters were very boring IMO. My fav character is K-2 by 10 miles because he brought the most life into the movie with his dialogue and VA, followed by Chirrut.

I would have appreciate some better back-story for the characters tbh. Hope some comics or mini-clips come in to better explain each of their past. Still, great screenplay throughout the movie with great tie-in's to A New Hope.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I would have appreciate some better back-story for the characters tbh. Hope some comics or mini-clips come in to better explain each of their past.
    The editing was choppy enough as it was (at least for the first ~30min) that taking time out to explain these characters any more would have probably just turned it into another Suicide Squad debacle.

Vader appearance is hard to receive seriously when he is shown literally standing in the open space in his gas mask and rubber boots.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Where've you been? When Disney took over they threw canon out...far away. Like some stinky diaper that needed changing a long time ago.
    Here's hoping we never get that kiddie shitty stuff ever again.

Disney said movies are 100% canon. Guess what was brought up in a movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Vader appearance is hard to receive seriously when he is shown literally standing in the open space in his gas mask and rubber boots.
    His suit has life support in it, not that hard to figure out.

Gas mask...so clueless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    But it didn't bother you that his cape was fluttering in the breeze?

Best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy.

Awesome movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of examples of people standing in open space, when Darth Vader docks in the second death star there's a bloody great big entrance and everyone is just standing waiting. Quite obviously anyone who watches star wars knows that ships have some kind of fields that allows gravity/ atmosphere to remain when doors are open.

Oh look at the emperor with a big door to open space.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2016-12-24 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I just got back from seeing the movie. This was my favorite Star Wars movies in ageeees The way it ties into the original trilogy, and all the characters. And was that CGI Tarkin and Princess Leia? Holy heck, she looked exactly like real Leia! . It answered questions one has pondered over the years and it was just... I liked it, a ton!

Liked this way more than Force Awakens!
    Leia GCI was horrible, it was extremely obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could Vader's attendant/servant be Snoke?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

hmf...Star Wars was always a fantasy/sci-fi thing, with the emphasis on fantasy. Those who are disappointed in the science-fiction part are typical disenfranchised trekkies I would think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Leia GCI was horrible, it was extremely obvious.
    Good enuff, i'd rather see her than rey n the other clowns...

Btw heard Leia got a heart-attack today..
    #prayforLeia

Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    Good enuff, i'd rather see her than rey n the other clowns...

Btw heard Leia got a heart-attack today..
    #prayforLeia
    Princess Leia is in Stable condition

Still in ICU though.

The Force is with her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Yep, loved the movie. It has the most climatic portion that no other Star Wars movies comes close to reaching, the fights were very well done and the ending was simply amazing. My one complaint simply revolves around the cast itself. Their characters were very boring IMO. My fav character is K-2 by 10 miles because he brought the most life into the movie with his dialogue and VA, followed by Chirrut.

I would have appreciate some better back-story for the characters tbh. Hope some comics or mini-clips come in to better explain each of their past. Still, great screenplay throughout the movie with great tie-in's to A New Hope.
    I'm honestly confused about this criticism, and it's one that I've seen quite a bit. The reason why is quite simply when I look back at the original trilogy and specifically ONLY A New Hope, there really isn't a ton of history put behind the characters. We get a few snippets about Han Solo's past, we know that Vader and Obi Wan have a history, we know that the clone war existed, know that Princess Leia was connected to the Galactic Senate... stuff like that. The majority of the characterization was done in the present, independent of an extensive marvel-style backstory. Take away the trilogy and leave only the original, and you know just about nothing of each of the main characters pasts.

I dunno... ultimately, it feels like this criticism is born from the extreme exposition-heavy current Hollywood scene where a movie feels the need to inform the viewer of absolutely everything. I recognize that if someone wants history behind the characters to add depth to them, that's personal for them, but it just feels like a hollow argument to make.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    hmf...Star Wars was always a fantasy/sci-fi thing, with the emphasis on fantasy. Those who are disappointed in the science-fiction part are typical disenfranchised trekkies I would think.
    Disenfranchised trekkies? Star Trek isn't exactly of the purest caliber of science fiction either. It was always more about intellectual and sociological concepts using science fiction as a medium to convey its true purposes. Less "how does this ship move through space" and more "what happens when the noblest elements of human society are put on trial for the crimes of the entire species?"

Though ya, science fantasy is a far more fitting term for Star Wars than science fiction. Lucas's inspiration for Star Wars was born of the very old adventures that were basically Conan the Barbarian in space, and didn't really draw inspiration from the sci fi boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I'm honestly confused about this criticism, and it's one that I've seen quite a bit. The reason why is quite simply when I look back at the original trilogy and specifically ONLY A New Hope, there really isn't a ton of history put behind the characters. We get a few snippets about Han Solo's past, we know that Vader and Obi Wan have a history, we know that the clone war existed, know that Princess Leia was connected to the Galactic Senate... stuff like that. The majority of the characterization was done in the present, independent of an extensive marvel-style backstory. Take away the trilogy and leave only the original, and you know just about nothing of each of the main characters pasts.
    It's funny, but I wonder if anyone watching the original trilogy ever thought "the Clone War" was a war of "our clones" (as in, Jedi/Republic) vs a Trade Confederation's robot armies.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post

I dunno... ultimately, it feels like this criticism is born from the extreme exposition-heavy current Hollywood scene where a movie feels the need to inform the viewer of absolutely everything. I recognize that if someone wants history behind the characters to add depth to them, that's personal for them, but it just feels like a hollow argument to make.
    For me, it wasn't so much that I wanted back story. I just wished the characters had a bit more depth to them. There really wasn't much there. The robot really was the only one that had much in the was of character. The others were just roles to fill. It reminds me of a bit in those Plinkett prequel reviews where they pose a challenge to "Describe characters from both Episode I and IV without saying what they look like, the costume they wore, their profession, or their role in the movie." You can do that pretty easily with characters like Han, Luke, Leia, and C3-P0 but it's much harder with the Rogue One characters. They all just felt very flat like that guy is the pilot or that guy is the one with the guns or that guy is the blind monk, but there isn't really anything more to them beyond that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen rogue one once but I could tell you what costumes they all wore, their previous occupations and their role in the movies incredibly easy. They are all clearly defined characters (in the context of being one off characters doomed to die anyway.) They're a little generic vanilla in their actual characterisation but their story is very individual.
    Comparing them to a new hope characters is asinine, they're in the film for completely different reasons.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2016-12-25 at 07:53 AM.