Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Just bought new 1070, not performing

I just upgraded to a 1070 from a 760. When I booted up wow I expected to have 60+ framerates everywhere, but I'm getting basically the same framerates that I did with my 760. I reinstalled the drivers after installing the card, rebooted, etc, but nothing makes it better.

Any thoughts, or did I just waste a ton of money?

Deleted
    do you have vsync or other limiters on by chance?
    does it happen in multiple games or just one?

A lot of the time it's not even hitting 60

It's also flickering black when loading into wow and getting weird hitches every now and then.

What CPU are you using? I find that in congested areas like Dalaran or raids, CPU can be more of a drag on the system than your GPU.

Your CPU will probably bottleneck you long before the 1070

Deleted
    You were probably bottle-necked by your CPU and not by the GPU, thus resulting in no FPS difference.

CPU > all in Wow. The graphics card doesn't matter much

I recently got myself a 1070 and I can run everything on full graphics with about 100-160 fps. It's probably your other pieces that still needs to be replaced.
    Last edited by Sylf; 2016-12-31 at 03:58 AM.

Deleted
    if you get flickering and weird glitches that sounds like a driver issue. theres some tool somewhere i forget it's name that can help you to properly uninstall the old driver im sure someone here knows the name.

My CPU usage never really goes above 50% though, it doesn't seem like it's bottlenecking anything

I run with a 1070 and play on

7/10 gfx settings
    1440p 144hz screen

My fps tends to stick at 100+ most of the time, however it does drop in some areas. I don't recall seeing it below 60 fps though but it probably would at times, especially if I was running on 10/10 graphics.

Either your 1070 is faulty (probably not) or you have another problem such as bad settings or another hardware bottleneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    if you get flickering and weird glitches that sounds like a driver issue. theres some tool somewhere i forget it's name that can help you to properly uninstall the old driver im sure someone here knows the name.
    You are probably referring to DDU.

DDU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zic View Post
    My CPU usage never really goes above 50% though, it doesn't seem like it's bottlenecking anything
    Look at single cores, Wow runs mostly on 1-2 cores. Overall the CPU will show low usage, but the cores that WoW is running on are capped

Set Environment Detail to 1 (Esc → System → Graphics → 2nd of three sliders at the bottom). You will see less grass around, but your fps will skyrocket. I had this issue with my 1070 as well. Otherwise, it's very solid card, playing Witcher 3 at ultra 2560×1080 just fine.

Deleted
    I actually just upgraded from a 770 to a 1070 for WoW and I totally agree it underperforms like crazy for me aswell, get like 200 fps on Overwatch, 280 on league... but for some reason on WoW I sit around 45. (obviously I realise Overwatch and league aren't particularly graphically intense but neither is WoW reeeeeally)
    Really infuriating actually.

Btw, check your render quality and make sure it's on 100%. Not 150 cos it makes a huge difference i was on 25 before cos it auto set to 150%. It's in advanced settings im sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wingerie View Post
    Set Environment Detail to 1 (Esc → System → Graphics → 2nd of three sliders at the bottom). You will see less grass around, but your fps will skyrocket. I had this issue with my 1070 as well. Otherwise, it's very solid card, playing Witcher 3 at ultra 2560×1080 just fine.
    Just tested this and this is true. Went from 60 to 120 just standing in stormheim.
    Unfortunately when I bought a 1070 i didnt expect to have to turn down my graphics in WoW such that fencing and rocks etc dont show up until about 25 yards away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnai182 View Post
    Just tested this and this is true. Went from 60 to 120 just standing in stormheim.
    Unfortunately when I bought a 1070 i didnt expect to have to turn down my graphics in WoW such that fencing and rocks etc dont show up until about 25 yards away.
    Sadly, WoW engine is VERY dated and not optimized in may ways. It's not GPU fault. As I mentioned above, I have 55-60fps in Witcher 3 on ultra with HairWorks, AA and other demanding shit at 2560×1080, while Environment Details tanks my fps in WoW to 40 in Val'Sharah.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinezor View Post
    You are probably referring to DDU.

DDU
    I did a clean uninstall and reinstall, no notable difference.

I also overclocked my CPU to 4.0 GHZ, and no difference either.

My friend has similar setup, and they get much higher fps than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zic View Post
    I did a clean uninstall and reinstall, no notable difference.

I also overclocked my CPU to 4.0 GHZ, and no difference either.

My friend has similar setup, and they get much higher fps than me.
    Overclocked or not, your type and brand of cpu are going to make a huge difference.

For example: AMD cpu's are amazing at running games optimized for multi-core usage, but they're absolute crap when it comes to single core. Intel, on the other hand, is excellent at both.

What make/model of CPU are you currently using?

i get 120 on 7/10 with a 770gtx

something isnt right here, post your whole spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Roetorooter View Post
    Overclocked or not, your type and brand of cpu are going to make a huge difference.

For example: AMD cpu's are amazing at running games optimized for multi-core usage, but they're absolute crap when it comes to single core. Intel, on the other hand, is excellent at both.

What make/model of CPU are you currently using?
    i5 2550k 3.3GHz OC'd to 4.0 GHz

WoW is running off a intel SSD

What graphical settings are you using? A screen shot would be preferred.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-12-31 at 04:40 AM.