Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Gays are not criminalized in Russia at least since 1996. Stop that shitty propaganda spreading.
    Yes, gays doing gay things in private has been de-criminalized, but that's not the issue:
    Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) persons in Russia face legal and social challenges not experienced by non-LGBT persons. Although same-sex sexual activity between consenting adults in private was decriminalized in 1993,[1] same-sex couples and households headed by same-sex couples are ineligible for the legal protections available to opposite-sex couples and there are currently no laws prohibiting discrimination regarding sexual orientation. Transgender people are allowed to change their legal gender following sex reassignment surgery, however, there are currently no laws prohibiting discrimination regarding gender identity or expression and recent laws could discriminate against transgender residents.[citation needed] Homosexuality has been declassified as a mental illness since 1999 and although gays and lesbians are allowed to serve openly in the military, there is an unofficial "Don’t ask, don’t tell" policy.[citation needed]

Russia has been viewed as being socially conservative regarding homosexuality, with recent polls indicating that a majority of Russians are against the acceptance of homosexuality and have shown support for laws discriminating against homosexuals.[citation needed] Despite receiving international criticism for the recent increase in social discrimination, crimes, and violence against homosexuals, larger cities such as Moscow and Saint Petersburg have been said to have a thriving LGBT community. However, there has been a historic resistance to gay pride parades by local governments; despite being fined by the European Court of Human Rights in 2010 for interpreting it as discrimination, the city of Moscow denied 100 individual requests for permission to hold Moscow Pride through 2012, citing a risk of violence against participants.

In the 21st century, Russia began to receive worldwide attention for their legal treatment of LGBT citizens, which has been referred to as one of the worst human rights violations in the post-Soviet era. Since 2006, numerous regions in Russia have enacted varying laws restricting the distribution of materials promoting LGBT relationships to minors; in June 2013, a federal law criminalizing the distribution of materials among minors in support of "non-traditional" sexual relationships, was enacted as an amendment to an existing child protection law.[4] The law has resulted in the numerous arrests of Russian LGBT citizens publicly opposing the law and there has reportedly been a surge of homophobic propaganda, violence, and even hate crimes, many of whom use the law as justification.[citation needed] It has received international criticism from human rights observers, LGBT activists, and media outlets and has been viewed as de facto means of criminalizing LGBT culture.[5] Russian historian and human rights activist Lyudmila Alexeyeva has called it "a step toward the Middle Ages."[5]
    -Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    What basis do you have behind this claim? Surely you must have some examples of him not making an anti-homosexual propaganda law.
    It was more of "anti-propaganda" law then "anti-homosexual" law. And it was aimed strictly at "propaganda to minors" (including public places), not at homosexual population in general.

It wasn't even aimed strictly at homosexuals too, they also went after paedophilia and other there, basically any sexual-related stuff.

Or a law that prevent people to openly speak against the Kremlin.
    There is no such law; people who get prosecuted generally come under "calls to overthrow of government".

Lots of people "speak against the Kremlin" while not crossing this threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    “Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart,”
    Anyone who doesn't look at that statement in horror has lost his mind. It speaks volumes about humanities darker impulses. Our nature where we crave to be ruled, where we want to submit ourselves to a higher power, where we want to blindly follow orders. This is why religions still exist, and why things like the Soviet Union could have existed and how the Holocaust could have happened.

We humans are so full of contradictions. But this is quite frightening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    It was more of "anti-propaganda" law then "anti-homosexual" law. And it was aimed strictly at "propaganda to minors" (including public places), not at homosexual population in general.

It wasn't even aimed strictly at homosexuals too, they also went after paedophilia and other there, basically any sexual-related stuff.

There is no such law; people who get prosecuted generally come under "calls to overthrow of government".

Really dude? Really? Look, you can say that you agree with persecution of homosexuals or dissidents, at least I can respect your honesty then. Don't try to play these bullshit semantic games.

10+ Year Old Account

Paedophilia =/= homosexuality. Likewise, where have you been when the gay-shaming videos started to pop everywhere on the internet? Young men being caught trying to date a guy they found attractive on the internet, thinking they were well started toward a relationship, because being either beaten, pissed on (literally) and outright publicly shamed?

As for the second part, I think you do not understand just how much it is being abused. This is not only used within the country, it is being applied everywhere. In Russia, you cannot have anyone who disagree with the Kremlin come and get a public spot.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseHold View Post
    Still 27 years ago, can't claim it's an illness that can be cured if certain people won't believe medical science when it goes against them.
    You need to understand broader context; psychology never was, and still isn't "hard science".

It's not like in physics you discover some law, do experiment, and everyone can reproduce it.

Homosexuality and how it impacts human life differs quite a bit between cultures, and it cannot be said that Western approach is strictly superior overall (or in some cases superior even just for homosexual people specifically).

Still, this isn't a thread to debate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Really dude? Really? Look, you can say that you agree with persecution of homosexuals or dissidents, at least I can respect your honesty then. Don't try to play these bullshit semantic games.
    When you invent bullshit about Russia, don't be surprised when people call it bullshit.

There is "patriotic" dissenting wings, and "creative" dissenting wings who do not get persecuted and get enough airtime on TV. There are independent news outlets like Meduza.io or Echo of Moscow. Saying that there is no dissent in Russia because it gets crushed by state is pure bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

Paedophilia =/= homosexuality.
    As i said, it was "catch-all" anti-propaganda law, not "anti-homosexual" law.

Likewise, where have you been when the gay-shaming videos started to pop everywhere on the internet? Young men being caught trying to date a guy they found attractive on the internet, thinking they were well started toward a relationship, because being either beaten, pissed on (literally) and outright publicly shamed?
    Such things happen to straight people too for various reasons (for example, migrants occasionally can get same or worse mistreatment). People do get fined or jailed for this stuff if they get caught and victim bothers to report it.

As for the second part, I think you do not understand just how much it is being abused. This is not only used within the country, it is being applied everywhere. In Russia, you cannot have anyone who disagree with the Kremlin come and get a public spot.
    Sounds like bullshit.

What "public spot"? And what does it mean "disagree with Kremlin"?

We get scandals when "public spot people" "disagree with Kremlin" (which usually goes as some government agency) often enough, and government agencies revert their decisions often enough if they are wrong :/

Alternative foreign policy? Noone really "alternative" has sufficiently large following to be threatening to Kremlin.
    Alternative economic policy? Lots of people propose alternatives all the time.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2017-01-01 at 05:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to understand broader context; psychology never was, and still isn't "hard science".

It's not like in physics you discover some law, do experiment, and everyone can reproduce it.

Homosexuality and how it impacts human life differs quite a bit between cultures, and it cannot be said that Western approach is strictly superior overall (or in some cases superior even just for homosexual people specifically).

Still, this isn't a thread to debate it.

- - - Updated - - -

When you invent bullshit about Russia, don't be surprised when people call it bullshit.

There is "patriotic" dissenting wings, and "creative" dissenting wings who do not get persecuted and get enough airtime on TV. There are independent news outlets like Meduza.io or Echo of Moscow. Saying that there is no dissent in Russia because it gets crushed by state is pure bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

As i said, it was "catch-all" anti-propaganda law, not "anti-homosexual" law.

Such things happen to straight people too for various reasons (for example, migrants occasionally can get same or worse mistreatment). People do get fined or jailed for this stuff if they get caught and victim bothers to report it.

Sounds like bullshit.

What "public spot"? And what does it mean "disagree with Kremlin"?

We get scandals when "public spot people" "disagree with Kremlin" (which usually goes as some government agency) often enough, and government agencies revert their decisions often enough if they are wrong :/

Alternative foreign policy? Noone really "alternative" has sufficiently large following to be threatening to Kremlin.
    Alternative economic policy? Lots of people propose alternatives all the time.
    You're trying too hard to protect Russia. It doesn't make you more right. Russia is a horrible country, which is known to violate several fundamental human rights. Homophobia is strong there - likewise, they often mix "Homosexuality" with "Homophobia".

In that regard, let me remind you how Blizzard didn't have the right to publish their Christmas Comics about Tracer because she was Lesbian and kissed another girl in Russia.

But seriously, I understand why you may consider Russia an ally - for now - but don't go blindly thinking that Russia is hated just because they don't like Hillary.

Russia is rightfully hated for a lot of very horrible things they do/did: https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...hapters/russia
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

You're trying too hard to protect Russia. It doesn't make you more right. Russia is a horrible country, which is known to violate several fundamental human rights. Homophobia is strong there - likewise, they often mix "Homosexuality" with "Homophobia".

In that regard, let me remind you how Blizzard didn't have the right to publish their Christmas Comics about Tracer because she was Lesbian and kissed another girl in Russia.

But seriously, I understand why you may consider Russia an ally - for now - but don't go blindly thinking that Russia is hated just because they don't like Hillary.

Russia is rightfully hated for a lot of very horrible things they do/did: https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...hapters/russia
    Yeah I wish they could be more tolerant like our favorite and biggest ally, Saudi Arabia.

What you are saying that as long as your dissent is state approved it's fine. And that's the problem. Stop pretending there is any real dissent. And it's also worth mentioning that a lot of unapproved high profile dissenters tend to get into fortunate (for the Russian government) accidents, or get killed in a mugging where no one is ever detained or convicted.

Interesting post - thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I think I probably knew the whole lot, but it's interesting to see it presented in continuous prose all in one.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    The Russian economy has kept chugging along, I'll give Putin that much. As scummy as he might be, it could be worse. Not saying I'm giving him a pass on what he's done, but he makes for an impressive (if terrifying) leader.

Now if he could just stop the whole 'getting rid of political opponents', 'criminalizing gays', and 'invading other countries' business...
    I think this is pretty similar to the view I have on it - don't approve by a long way, but do find it impressive.

You're trying too hard to protect Russia. It doesn't make you more right. Russia is a horrible country, which is known to violate several fundamental human rights.
    In the same vein we can say "US is horrible country which is known to violate several fundamental human rights" (see Guantamo).

Scope of those violations isn't all-encompassing in either case.

Homophobia is strong there - likewise, they often mix "Homosexuality" with "Homophobia".
    What? You make no sense here.
    If you're homosexual it is still better to be in Russia then in Saudi Arabia.

They could if they would get 16+ label rather then 12+ they have today (remember - that law only applies to minors, and 12+ is still minor, while 16+ isn't).

Sorry, you're probably mistaking me with someone else - i'm Russian. Ofc i would defend my country against unsubstantiated claims, there are enough real slights, use them.

Omg, "foreign agent" law they mention in first part there is actually made as copy of exactly the same American law...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    What you are saying that as long as your dissent is state approved it's fine.
    Nope, state doesn't have nor power nor will to censor or approve all possible dissent.

And that's the problem. Stop pretending there is any real dissent.
    Stop claiming there is no real dissent while having no idea about reality.

And it's also worth mentioning that a lot of unapproved high profile dissenters tend to get into fortunate (for the Russian government) accidents, or get killed in a mugging where no one is ever detained or convicted.
    Like one every two years? I think you would find that is matches average population statistics on "unfortunate accidents" - it just gets a lot more publicity.

And when caught people do get convicted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero412 View Post
    Yeah I wish they could be more tolerant like our favorite and biggest ally, Saudi Arabia.
    I hate Saudi Arabia just as strongly as Russia.

In the same vein we can say "US is horrible country which is known to violate several fundamental human rights" (see Guantamo).

Scope of those violations isn't all-encompassing in either case.

What? You make no sense here.
    If you're homosexual it is still better to be in Russia then in Saudi Arabia.

They could if they would get 16+ label rather then 12+ they have today (remember - that law only applies to minors, and 12+ is still minor, while 16+ isn't).

Sorry, you're probably mistaking me with someone else - i'm Russian. Ofc i would defend my country against unsubstantiated claims, there are enough real slights, use them.

Omg, "foreign agent" law they mention in first part there is actually made as copy of exactly the same American law...
    I get your frustration, but don't mix two things together. Russia may not be as bad on some topic as some of our really despicable allies like Saudi Arabia. As far as I'm concerned, again, I'm a strong supporter of Wikileaks and am completely against Hillary.

But that doesn't make them right. You can try to switch goalpost, but it doesn't change the fact that Russia's a horrible country, with horrible leaders who feed on censorship and make the lives of their citizens who dare stand up against the government a horrible one.

And again, that doesn't mean I support the US when it does it, or Saudi Arabia or whatever. I think you're just so used to argue with people who think that, that you give me intentions I do not have.
    Google Diversity Memo

lol people are saying russia is bad cause they dont like gays?

cmon guys surely u can do better.

But that doesn't make them right. You can try to switch goalpost, but it doesn't change the fact that Russia's a horrible country, with horrible leaders who feed on censorship and make the lives of their citizens who dare stand up against the government a horrible one.
    Obviously most people will never agree that their country is horrible.

And most of population never "stands up against government", so that doesn't affect pretty much everyone.

Are you hurt that US government makes life of ISIS supporters in US "horrible one"? That would be about same percentage as those affected by "standing up to Putin" in Russia.

As for censorship, there is a lot more "self-censorship" involved then actual "government censorship" - upon which they definitely don't "feed". They do accept well-thought ideas coming from outside, and often act on journalist reporting uncovering corruption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously most people will never agree that their country is horrible.

And most of population never "stands up against government", so that doesn't affect pretty much everyone.

Are you hurt that US government makes life of ISIS supporters in US "horrible one"? That would be about same percentage as those affected by "standing up to Putin" in Russia.

As for censorship, there is a lot more "self-censorship" involved then actual "government censorship" - upon which they definitely don't "feed". They do accept well-thought ideas coming from outside, and often act on journalist reporting uncovering corruption.
    But they do not.

Now, your example of ISIS is pretty bad, for pretty obvious reason. It serves nothing to debate that part, because you know like me why it is so. It's a bad trap and one I will not bite on.

Internet censorship in the Russian Federation is enforced based on Russian Internet Restriction Bill, federal law "On Protecting Children from Information Harmful to Their Health and Development" and other laws. The law took effect on 1 November 2012 and instituted a Federal blacklist maintained by the Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media for the censorship of individual URLs, domain names, and IP addresses.

The law is outlined in a government decree issued on 26 October 2012.[1] The blacklist was originally introduced to block sites that contain materials advocating drug abuse and production, suicide, and child pornography. Later, the law was amended to allow the blockage of sites containing materials that advocate extremism[2] or any other content subject to a gag order. These regulations have been frequently abused to block criticism of the federal government or local administration.[3]
    http://zapretno.info/?page_id=462

I don't know why you decide to turn a blind eye toward Russia. I don't claim that the US is better on some points - the way they treat whistleblowers, for one, is simply beyond words. But no, I am sorry, your stance on Russia is either blind fanaticism or biased rationalisation of acts based on their stance toward one of your personal position.
    Google Diversity Memo

Now, your example of ISIS is pretty bad, for pretty obvious reason. It serves nothing to debate that part, because you know like me why it is so. It's a bad trap and one I will not bite on.
    No, i have no idea of your thoughts on this matter, so i would prefer if you would elaborate. I only used this example to show expected ratio of people affected.

It doesn't make Russia "horrible" for 99.9999% of population.

http://zapretno.info/?page_id=462

I don't know why you decide to turn a blind eye toward Russia. I don't claim that the US is better on some points - the way they treat whistleblowers, for one, is simply beyond words. But no, I am sorry, your stance on Russia is either blind fanaticism or biased rationalisation of acts based on their stance toward one of your personal position.
    Ah, "internet censorship" - well, that's completely different beast, and here i can agree that they sometimes go overboard - like banning entire Lurkmore for having article about suicide when they went against "suicide promotion". Though Lurkmore administration stance didn't help there, and many others resolved it by removing offending pages.

And once they banned entire github too when someone commited suicide-related text there in protest... that was also quickly resolved

I swear every thread about Russia (even economics ones) turns out to be a gay debate. Especially that "Blizzard did this and that" farce. I'll try to clear some misconception:

1) You can show whatever gay stuff you want in whatever way you want (no porn obviously tho) if you lable it as a 18+ product. Blizzard could EASILY release that comic in Russia, but they would have to cut probably the biggest part of it's playerbase. No one likes losing their money, simple as that.

2) Internet censorship is... Well, most of it (not all, but famous ones for sure) is absolute bullshit made by older people who have absolutely zero knowledge in internet or even just computers. Few months ago we had localhost's 127.0.0.1 banned for like a week. I kid you not. And bureaucracy slows the preventing or rather fixing stuff a lot.

Deleted
    I hate Saudi Arabia just as strongly as Russia.

I get your frustration, but don't mix two things together. Russia may not be as bad on some topic as some of our really despicable allies like Saudi Arabia. As far as I'm concerned, again, I'm a strong supporter of Wikileaks and am completely against Hillary.

And again, that doesn't mean I support the US when it does it, or Saudi Arabia or whatever. I think you're just so used to argue with people who think that, that you give me intentions I do not have.
    Don't know how I ended up here, I was just browsing MMO-Champ to see if there was a release date on 7.1.5 yet. Accidentally clicked this link, got to reading, somehow I'm now registered and responding.

I think you've had your fill on propaganda for one lifetime. If "the West" shoves anymore fake stories and non-issues down your throat I'm sure you'll choke. You couldn't even recognise that you were communicating with a Russian... the person who lives in the country you apparently hate.

There is a laundry list of things wrong with many countries, but it is ultimately irrelevant when you're making blanket black and white statements like: "I hate it". Wait so... you hate it's laws, people, culture, geography, history, politics, science, education systems, architecture et al.? Or you hate it because of a single law on homosexuality - an activity that less than half a century ago was illegal in most western countries. The same people you see in office now, whatever country you reside, were probably debating these issues back when the country your parents must have hated for its treatment of gays was also stuck in the middle ages.

This is how propaganda works, it feeds on a simple mind utilising a simple dichotomy, love and hate. "You must hate this country because they kill gays!". "You must hate this country, because they kill blacks". "You must hate this country, because they pay their workers $0.5p/hr!". "You must hate Jews, they collected up all the gold!". "You must hate Muslims - they bomb shit!". I tag-lined the campaigns but after a few years of reading and listening to the stories the political and personal bias in media is so strong as to make it a medium not safe for human consumption. Or in other words - I get nauseous from all the bullshit the media try to cram down my gullet.

TLDR;
    You can't shield yourself in ignorance forever; let your tongue rest and use your eyes and ears instead.

I bold formatted where you stated as a fact that Russia is a horrible country. You've inspired yourself into a spectacular propaganda fuelled diatribe, so ignorant, that I had to dedicate 15 minutes of my life registering and responding. All just because I wanted to say, you're wrong. It isn't a fact, it is an opinion, a terribly ignorant and unsubstantiated one.

Wish you all a happy new year, thanks for reading!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, i have no idea of your thoughts on this matter, so i would prefer if you would elaborate. I only used this example to show expected ratio of people affected.

It doesn't make Russia "horrible" for 99.9999% of population.

Ah, "internet censorship" - well, that's completely different beast, and here i can agree that they sometimes go overboard - like banning entire Lurkmore for having article about suicide when they went against "suicide promotion". Though Lurkmore administration stance didn't help there, and many others resolved it by removing offending pages.

And once they banned entire github too when someone commited suicide-related text there in protest... that was also quickly resolved
    99.9999% is exagerated. You'd be more accurate to say that a fraction is directly impacted, a large minority is somewhat impacted and a slight majority isn't impacted at all. The reality is that many people live in fear of openly protesting something, so many people just don't, even when they disagree. It's called the groupthink phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaveil View Post
    Don't know how I ended up here, I was just browsing MMO-Champ to see if there was a release date on 7.1.5 yet. Accidentally clicked this link, got to reading, somehow I'm now registered and responding.

I think you've had your fill on propaganda for one lifetime. If "the West" shoves anymore fake stories and non-issues down your throat I'm sure you'll choke. You couldn't even recognise that you were communicating with a Russian... the person who lives in the country you apparently hate.

There is a laundry list of things wrong with many countries, but it is ultimately irrelevant when you're making blanket black and white statements like: "I hate it". Wait so... you hate it's laws, people, culture, geography, history, politics, science, education systems, architecture et al.? Or you hate it because of a single law on homosexuality - an activity that less than half a century ago was illegal in most western countries. The same people you see in office now, whatever country you reside, were probably debating these issues back when the country your parents must have hated for its treatment of gays was also stuck in the middle ages.

This is how propaganda works, it feeds on a simple mind utilising a simple dichotomy, love and hate. "You must hate this country because they kill gays!". "You must hate this country, because they kill blacks". "You must hate this country, because they pay their workers $0.5p/hr!". "You must hate Jews, they collected up all the gold!". "You must hate Muslims - they bomb shit!". I tag-lined the campaigns but after a few years of reading and listening to the stories the political and personal bias in media is so strong as to make it a medium not safe for human consumption. Or in other words - I get nauseous from all the bullshit the media try to cram down my gullet.

TLDR;
    You can't shield yourself in ignorance forever; let your tongue rest and use your eyes and ears instead.

I bold formatted where you stated as a fact that Russia is a horrible country. You've inspired yourself into a spectacular propaganda fuelled diatribe, so ignorant, that I had to dedicate 15 minutes of my life registering and responding. All just because I wanted to say, you're wrong. It isn't a fact, it is an opinion, a terribly ignorant and unsubstantiated one.

Yikes. Glad you subscribed, although I wish it would've been to post something less ironic than this. By criticizing me on my black and white statement by using black and white argument, you've been paradoxally contradicting yourself.

But don't worry. I don't hate Russians or the general country. I hate the government there and how they enforce their rules, plus how little regards they have for international laws and contracts.
    Last edited by Zandalarian Paladin; 2017-01-01 at 06:50 PM.
    Google Diversity Memo

Quote Originally Posted by Amerikanec View Post

China owns US just FYI , but stay delusional - it's funny
    You are one of those people that are incapable of doing your own research, and instead spout off bs rhetoric you hear.

FYI, China's share of the debt is sizable -- about 7% -- but it's hardly the largest holder of U.S. government bonds.
    The top holder by far is U.S. citizens and American entities, such as state and local governments, pension funds, mutual funds, and the Federal Reserve. Together they own the vast majority -- 67.5% -- of the debt.

Glad to clear up your error for you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunaveil View Post

TLDR;

I am glad you registered. It is refreshing to see a post like this every once in a while. Happy new year! And good luck avoiding the media campaigns, it is a plague. And it is only going to be worse for the likes of me with the French elections coming soon.