Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Yes, this bug affects some races.

There is a workaround however! Be as close to the surface of the water as you can, mount your water strider and jump 0.05 seconds before it's finished casting and you'll land on the water while being mounted. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrus View Post
    I think he and the other poster is full of shit.. never gave water walking to my mounts either.. and I think there would have been a lot more focus on it, if it did give water walking to all mounts..

But, maybe he will prove us wrong, when / if he replies back to me, since I have asked how he maneges to get water walking for all mounts.
    To clarify myself a bit better
    No, the fishing artifact doesn't give mounts waterwalking. However you gain extra swimspeed and still be on your land mount. I'm actually not sure at what speed.
    Sometimes useful in suramar city when you need to get away from a train of mobs and cant switch to your waterstrider. Or when you go to that watcher tower for the pvp world quest in western val'sharah, you have to go through a bit of water (just convenience)

so with fishing artifact
    no mount: you can stand on water, transform into a fish underwater
    with mount (anything other then waterstrider) - increased swimspeed.

Im not sure if Felplague understood wrong or wrote it wrong.
    Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm".
    And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
    Noctus <Darkblade>

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Blizzard broke them on purpose me thinks.
    Back in the day you could mount while swimming, jump and it would start walking on water.
    I have a mount macro that uses my normal mount when on land and changes to the strider while swimming. I have never had a problem with mounting in the water, then jumping on the surface.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    I have never had a problem with mounting in the water, then jumping on the surface.
    Well, good four you then.
    Frankly, I don't care though, because I and many others do.

Quote Originally Posted by shapookya View Post
    Exactly and that's working as intended for me. Absolutely no problem. So I don't know if there's a weird bug for other races (am playing male Pandaren) or you guys just have your camera angle set too high and therefore fall in the water?
    Got issues on my Draenei hunter with it. No matter what I do can't get back on top of the water after mounting while swimming. It works fine on my Night Elf, Dwarf, Human and Gnome characters.
    Got a similar issue (again on the Draenei) with getting the fishing artifact to apply water walking. If I run from land into water it won't apply and I have to jump in shallow water (not deep enough for swimming) to get it to work. If I run (from land) into deep enough water I'll get the nursing shark transformation. Once I'm in that it always takes a few jumps to make the artifact switch from shark to water walking.

Deleted
    Maybe because Ion Hazzikostas hates striders and thinks in his own mind that everyone and their dog is using them (they're not), they made some ninja changes to anoy people even more...

Remember the fiasco during beta ?? He ultimately had to revert those idiotic changes made to striders

It's quite clearly broken. Used to be that if you took damage from an enemy whilst riding, you'd sink and need to remount. Now you can jump down into water, mount up and it just won't stride no matter how much you jump.

Deleted
    here's a little mechanic i've deducted from knowing how the game works: the water strider is just a normal mount that also casts an invisible waterwalking buff on you, if you get hit the waterwalking buff goes away and you have to remount to reapply the buff. this sucks big time because you're often in combat when that happens, leaving you worse than dazed. annoying mechanics, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    Maybe because Ion Hazzikostas hates striders and thinks in his own mind that everyone and their dog is using them (they're not), they made some ninja changes to anoy people even more...

Remember the fiasco during beta ?? He ultimately had to revert those idiotic changes made to striders
    Yeaah... Seems to me that Ion has this issue with "If they want to play a certain way, let them".

Somebody wants to vary their mounts? They probabely are, only whipping out the strider when they're about to actually cross a body of water. Others don't give a shit about mounts so they'll stay on their striders for convenience. They still have to remount if they take damage prior to reaching water.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Water Striders were nerfed in the Legion prepatch so that if you take damage, they do not walk on water until you remount. It was supposed to balance them compared to other land mounts, but it is still better even with the nerf.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    here's a little mechanic i've deducted from knowing how the game works.
    Yeah, that's how it used to work. And it was okay.

However now I can't be in the water, mount and and hop onto the surface (Draenei female), because the game thinks that I don't jump high enough to be considered "above water" by the server, which means that despite having the invisible (or in case of a DK clearly visible) water walking buff, my strider refuses to ... you know .. stride.

Which means I have to slow ass swim to the nearest shoreline / object that I can climb on. THEN I can suddenly stride (no remount necessary).
    It's a BUG.
    A bug that needs fixing but due to Mr. Fuzzykoalas™ dislike of Waterstriders, I'm not holding my breath that they will fix it anytime soon.

My priestess can levitate (levitate lifts you up and out of the water as part of the spell effect) and then mount the strider to circumvent this bug, but my paladin ain't so lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Somebody wants to vary their mounts? They probabely are, only whipping out the strider when they're about to actually cross a body of water.
    Pretty much what I do. Plan ahead, if the route I am taking necessitates water walking I use that, else I use one of my other favorites.

I haven't done testing, but it seems like the camera angle for sinking is a lot more sensitive. It kind of feels like even if you rotate while water walking with your camera at a high angle, you sink. While it is nice not to splat when jumping into water with water walking, I was able to point my camera correctly just fine before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    I haven't done testing, but it seems like the camera angle for sinking is a lot more sensitive. It kind of feels like even if you rotate while water walking with your camera at a high angle, you sink. While it is nice not to splat when jumping into water with water walking, I was able to point my camera correctly just fine before.
    If you want to look into the water while riding, use the left mouse button instead of the right one. Right one actually turns your character, so you are actively trying to submerge as soon as you "look down".

I agree that camera and cam collision with water is a friggin pain in the ass in WoW.

Well, good four you then.
    Frankly, I don't care though, because I and many others do.
    Point is it's not broken. It's either the specific race you are, or you're doing something wrong.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point is it's not broken. It's either the specific race you are, or you're doing something wrong.
    Well you just contradicted yourself.
    If one/some race/s can't do it but others can, it IS broken.

If it were an error on my part, someone would have pointed it out already and we all had a good laugh at my expense. But really, there is nothing else I can do except:
    mount, hold spacebar till my char reaches the top and press space again to jump. All the wile keeping my hand off the mouse, so camera does not interfere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether or not you consider it broken, it's functionally worse than it was in previous expansions since 7.0, regardless of race or other factors. Your dismissal of the problem does not make it not a problem for others who do care about the functionality of the mount.

Deleted
    Yeah, that's how it used to work. And it was okay.

However now I can't be in the water, mount and and hop onto the surface (Draenei female), because the game thinks that I don't jump high enough to be considered "above water" by the server, which means that despite having the invisible (or in case of a DK clearly visible) water walking buff, my strider refuses to ... you know .. stride.
    I never encountered this issue, sometimes its tricky to get up on the water but aside from prior damage taken i cant see why you shouldnt be able to.

Another thing you have to consider is that your character may be facing down (like when you rightclick to fly down or whenever you're traveling across the ground your camera is naturally facing down). if your character is facing down below a certain angle (i believe it is 30 degrees) it will dive into the water, you can try this yourself: go to the water and hold RMB down into the water - your character will not stick to the water surface and will dive. When jumping onto the water with water strider you have to hold RMB and point at the horison to make sure your character is facing "forward" to avoid autodiving.

This is absolutely broken, and a bug. If you personally aren't affected by the bug on your characters, that's great for you. It's still a bug.

This seems to be an issue with water walking and I think it might have been caused by the updated character models? I dunno, I've mained a DK since Wrath and I know before WoD I never had the issue where Path of Frost wouldn't work unless I dismounted, jumped up, and then remounted. It really sucks before you could get hit while PoF is active, sink, and then spam PoF and jump and run away.

Deleted
    As a shaman you're all losers and I pity you.