Thread: [TV] Westworld

Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    I can't help it, i just don't like that setting
    If you aren't hooked after the pilot, I doubt you will get hooked anytime soon.

Deleted
    Wel it's WESTworld, so obviously a lot of the content is going to be in the WESTern setting. And it quite regularly changes to their headquarters. Considering it's more of a Philosophical show instead of a pure 'Yaaah Haaaaww guns blazing raping and looting" show, the setting doesn't matter too much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I haven't started season 2 of The Man in the High Castle yet, but the premise of that show is more interesting to me than this one. I guess I've just seen too many "malfunctioning holodeck" episodes of Star Trek.
    Westworld clearly aint for you cause it aint a "malfunctioning holodeck" show.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Westworld clearly aint for you cause it aint a "malfunctioning holodeck" show.
    But it is. Combined with a lot of the same issues they brought up with the characters of Data and The Doctor. I didn't say that I didn't like the show (I did...a lot), I was just saying that the premise of The Man in the High Castle is just more interesting to me, personally, since someone else was comparing the two.

The show isn't about malfunction. It's about discovering the essence of who you are (as a human being) when all consequence is removed from your actions, and also deals with what it means to be human on the part of robotic AI. The theme, summed up, is about consciousness and self.

And they're not malfunctioning.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The show isn't about malfunction. It's about discovering the essence of who you are (as a human being) when all consequence is removed from your actions, and also deals with what it means to be human on the part of robotic AI. The theme, summed up, is about consciousness and self.

And they're not malfunctioning.
    Christ, the quibbling is real. Moriarty wasn't malfunctioning when he took over the Enterprise, he was behaving exactly as Geordi had inadvertently programmed him to behave. It was still a "malfunctioning holodeck" episode in the same way DS9 was full of "Ferengi shenanigans" episodes.

My head hurts

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The theme, summed up, is about consciousness and self.
    Which is the same theme as the TNG episode, "Elementary, Dear Data" s_bushido's referencing.

I don't understand why folk don't get the comparrison.

I went into it with the same sort of feeling. I grew up with my dad watching endless westerns 1000x over (he still does....) and I really don't care for them. There's just something about the way they acted that is too fake for me to handle. So really it isn't the setting I had a problem with I guess - but maybe it isn't for you either? The setting is really almost inconsequential to the story - it's just a "theme" park, it could have taken place with just about any other theme. It's more about what goes on behind the scenes and the politics of it all. I thought it was fantastic. As another person mentioned, you should know after the first episode if you want to continue. I knew after the scene with Peter Abernathy near the end of E1 that I was in.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    Which is the same theme as the TNG episode, "Elementary, Dear Data" s_bushido's referencing.

I don't understand why folk don't get the comparrison.
    There are similarities.
    the big difference is that for many people the hosts/robots are the good guys and the center of the story.... so we don´t really see them as malfuntioning and going against the heroes/goodguys, but rather evolving. There really isn´t good guy vs bad guy relationship like there is in Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    I went into it with the same sort of feeling. I grew up with my dad watching endless westerns 1000x over (he still does....) and I really don't care for them.
    I can understand that, but Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies, and I also love the Young Guns movies and though I haven't finished it, really like Deadwood.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    So this thursday I decided on doing a rewatch of the series... and on a rewatch it was just as brilliant as the first time.

On top of this... first trailer of season 2, which looks very misleading to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFM...ature=youtu.be

Pretty cruel to release a s2 trailer when it's over a year away

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Pretty cruel to release a s2 trailer when it's over a year away
    Doesn't make me any less stoked though.

I'm mentally preparing myself for a letdown in season two. Season one set the bar high. Also, (imo) the worst parts of season one were the action scenes. The bandit droids running around the control center, and the severe incompetence of the (human?) security forces, seemed like something out of an 80's B movie.

I worry that the only stuff left to show is more running around and shooting. All the interesting reveals are done.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post

I worry that the only stuff left to show is more running around and shooting. All the interesting reveals are done.
    Yeah theres no way an instant smash hit tv show on HBO could ever do anything with more budget and resources thrown at it with the premise already well set up to explore other story lines and open up the world even more. No point, why would any show go past one season.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm mentally preparing myself for a letdown in season two. Season one set the bar high. Also, (imo) the worst parts of season one were the action scenes. The bandit droids running around the control center, and the severe incompetence of the (human?) security forces, seemed like something out of an 80's B movie.

Not really. Questions we don't have answers to;

1> What's the corporation's real agenda? They made it clear that the park was a cover. We've barely scraped that surface, at this point, though some probable likelihoods jump out (military uses, etc).

2> Does the "maze" actually work? Are any of these things actually sentient? Ford's reveal at the end of Season 1 suggests that the only one that might actually be sentient and free-willed is Dolores. Can she "awaken" the others? Do they need to come to it themselves? Who knows?

3> Did Ford's plans stop here? He had everything so thoroughly planned out that I'd be shocked if he's actually finished. While I doubt Hopkins is coming back, it wouldn't surprise me if Ford's established long-term coded plans that have yet to come to fruition. It sure seemed like Maeve represented one such.

4> How messed-up could things get, if the hosts start to realize they're robots and that their corporeal shells can just be repaired? I'm picturing hosts ripping their own arms off to beat someone to death with them and crazy nonsense like that.

And that's without getting into the probable introduction of a political component, as the hosts take over and (I presume) efforts to retake the park fail. At that point, negotiating between the hosts and humans will get interesting, which is something that just hasn't been done yet.

Hell, I'd argue that Season 1 actually did a fantastic job of not answering any of the really big questions it posed. The finale kicked up a bunch of stuff that had seemed settled and made it clear we still had no idea what was really going on.

Deleted
    Well I wonder if the corporeal shells of robots can be repaired, keep in mind... they are repaired by humans. In the trailer it can be seen most of those humans are dead. So who is going to repair the robots in such a case?

Also: now Dolores is Wyatt, will we ever see Dolores again or will it always be Wyatt? I could see a main character like Teddy dying for seeing that to happen, it might actually be her arc for season 2. Finding that balance between Dolores and Wyatt

Overall there are many many interesting questions one would want an answer for that I am excited for the remaining seasons, but... they will have to do something different compared to S1 as the timeline thing was a one trick pony.
    Last edited by mmoc91d120d86f; 2017-07-24 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not really. Questions we don't have answers to;

1> What's the corporation's real agenda? They made it clear that the park was a cover. We've barely scraped that surface, at this point, though some probable likelihoods jump out (military uses, etc).

2> Does the "maze" actually work? Are any of these things actually sentient? Ford's reveal at the end of Season 1 suggests that the only one that might actually be sentient and free-willed is Dolores. Can she "awaken" the others? Do they need to come to it themselves? Who knows?

3> Did Ford's plans stop here? He had everything so thoroughly planned out that I'd be shocked if he's actually finished. While I doubt Hopkins is coming back, it wouldn't surprise me if Ford's established long-term coded plans that have yet to come to fruition. It sure seemed like Maeve represented one such.

4> How messed-up could things get, if the hosts start to realize they're robots and that their corporeal shells can just be repaired? I'm picturing hosts ripping their own arms off to beat someone to death with them and crazy nonsense like that.

And that's without getting into the probable introduction of a political component, as the hosts take over and (I presume) efforts to retake the park fail. At that point, negotiating between the hosts and humans will get interesting, which is something that just hasn't been done yet.

Hell, I'd argue that Season 1 actually did a fantastic job of not answering any of the really big questions it posed. The finale kicked up a bunch of stuff that had seemed settled and made it clear we still had no idea what was really going on.
    Well that is a more optimistic way to look at it. I hope you are right. I loved the first season, minus the big action scenes.

I also hope, as RobertoCarlos suggests, that hbo can/will throw enough money at it to make the action scenes less cheesy.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Deleted
    Well that is a more optimistic way to look at it. I hope you are right. I loved the first season, minus the big action scenes.

I also hope, as RobertoCarlos suggests, that hbo can/will throw enough money at it to make the action scenes less cheesy.
    Or maybe they intended them on being cheesy? I actually liked the action scenes because they were so cheesy and sometimes so over the top.