Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It's not survival. It's just prolonging the inevitable.
    Not necessarily. There's always a chance you could be rescued...the trick is to stay alive long enough for that to happen.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasavaqe View Post
    Hypothetical situation incoming:

Say you are stranded on a desert island with little to no resources, and you're quickly running out of food. There is another person on the island with you who died of dehydration. Would you eat that person to increase your own chances of surviving? He's already dead; you did not/ do not need to kill him.
    Died of dehydration? Would need some way to tenderize the meat... sounds kind of dried out...
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Really hard to say what someone would theoretically do in extreme situations. I don't have experience starving to death but I imagine it makes people do things they wouldn't normally do, including considering cannibalism. No idea what I'd do really.

As for the question of could I live with myself having eaten a dead person...

Well I'd be alive, wouldn't I?

no, i wouldn't. i could live off coconuts well enough. water + food in one.

i mean, the idea of it is just... idk. not something i'd do irl, ever.

i honestly couldn't even bring myself to start cutting pieces off of them. i'd get sick and probably throw up, which wouldn't help anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Not necessarily. There's always a chance you could be rescued...the trick is to stay alive long enough for that to happen.
    No water means your dead anyway.

Or is this the part where people start adding stuff beyond the OP? Like other animals on the island and edible plants...?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    no, i wouldn't. i could live off coconuts well enough. water + food in one.

i mean, the idea of it is just... idk. not something i'd do irl, ever.
    Easy to say that sitting in comfort...not knowing what it feels like to be dying of starvation.

Get hungry enough...and you'll eat just about anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No water means your dead anyway.

Or is this the part where people start adding stuff beyond the OP? Like other animals on the island and edible plants...?
    No, this is the part where I repeat:

Don't worry too much about the situation itself...the question is, if you had to eat a person in order to survive...would you?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    Why does it have to be a "he"?

I only eat girls. If you knoooooooooow what I mean.
    lol i see what you did there.. hehehe <.<
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Definitely. I don't think it'd even be a "last resort." It's probably more efficient to eat the meat as fresh as possible, so even waiting and living off fresh creatures (which will probably be in limited supply) is a bad idea. I'd eat the person ASAP. It's the only logical thing to do.

Deleted
    If I'm going to die anyway I'd rather not prolong it.

Id push it in to the sea to force my own hand so I couldn't change my mind later when I started losing my mind.

I would use the dead human as fishing bate and eat the live fish I caught with it. Human flesh isn't very nutritious, especially as the flesh dries out.

Why not, human is simply pork meat and im not a muslim. If i cant bring myself to do that to live, means i should be the dead one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, ofc like why would you not?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasavaqe View Post
    Hypothetical situation incoming:

Say you are stranded on a desert island with little to no resources, and you're quickly running out of food. There is another person on the island with you who died of dehydration. Would you eat that person to increase your own chances of surviving? He's already dead; you did not/ do not need to kill him.
    I would make fish hooks out of their bones, and use their meat as bait to go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    I would use the dead human as fishing bate and eat the live fish I caught with it. Human flesh isn't very nutritious, especially as the flesh dries out.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Why wouldnt you just cut chunks of him up to use a bait to spearfish if your on an island?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Can't I just use the blood to attract sharks and then make shark tacos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    I'd use his corpse to lure scavenger animals and eat them.

If you're doing that then it isn't a last resort. Let's just assume that everything you've tried has failed and now you're only remaining option is to eat the dead man.

15+ Year Old Account
    A normal size person could easily go without food for weeks and weeks.

No water and you'll be dead before the end of the week. In other words, if you're stuck on a desert island... eating your friend won't save you.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Deleted
    Yes, and at that point wouldn't just be limited to using the flesh for food (bones, sinew for materials). No eating organs though, because of disruptive potential.

Easy to say that sitting in comfort...not knowing what it feels like to be dying of starvation.

Get hungry enough...and you'll eat just about anything.
    it's also easy to realize i can't even kill a spider without feeling guilt and remorse for hours afterwards.

i'd drag them into the water and leave for the other side of the island, i can't handle that shit.

If you're doing that then it isn't a last resort. Let's just assume that everything you've tried has failed and now you're only remaining option is to eat the dead man.
    But I would have used up all his meat catching sharks for tacos.

Then no, I doubt I would, because what's the point.

If your question were phrased differently though then it would be a yes. For example, imagine you were in a plane crash in the Andes (right??) If someone were dead and I were stuck on a mountain in the stone, yes I would eat them. I will try to stay alive as long as there is hope of remaining alive, but in the situation you are trying to propose, there seems to be no actual future beyond the few extra moments eating a dead person would give me.

Then no I wouldn't eat him. that way no matter how shitty I have been in my life, people at my funeral can say "well at least he wasn't a cannibal."