Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    As horrible as it sounds, its survival. Assuming that there is no other available food on the island, then it makes sense. Though, the bigger problem is collecting and filtering water so you don't die of dehydration yourself.

When faced with death, you'd be amazed what the average human would be willing to do.

Depends entirely on what the dead human meant to me. I'd rather die than eat a family member (including my old dog)... If it's a stranger? I'm fine with it. Meat is meat.

If anything, it'd give me some entertainment to bash The Walking Dead and other crap involving Zombies... Seriously, a creature that's rotting can bite through hide and dig through the body of a human as if it were made of room tempered butter? Have the creators of Zombies seen the sort of jaw power and teeth required by predators that aim to take down prey equal in size to themselves? Come on... at least the "rage zombies" make more sense...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-01-08 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    This is all highly circumstantial. You don't need the magnifying glass or the knife. You do, however, need a way to cook the meat, which means something to burn, and wood is the most abundant source for combustible material, water, a certain level of protection from the elements... So, if he died of dehydration then I am next. Or, if I withheld water from him and therefor killed him, I should not have any moral objections to eat him, I have already established that I'd put my own survival over that of others.
    The knife is to cut the meat up, and help strip the bones. The magnifier is to start the fire going. (and to smoke the rest of the meat. Because you won't be able to eat it all before it spoils)

*shakes head*
    You guys talk a lot about "survival" but obviously have zero clue what to do.
    ...and don't forget to ration the fat...

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    nah id rather die then eat another human.
    Easy to say when you aren't starving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The knife is to cut the meat up, and help strip the bones. The magnifier is to start the fire going. (and to smoke the rest of the meat. Because you won't be able to eat it all before it spoils)

*shakes head*
    You guys talk a lot about "survival" but obviously have zero clue what to do.
    ...and don't forget to ration the fat...
    You are drastically over-complicating the exercise.

The exercise is not "how to properly cook, preserve, and ration human remains to make the meat last as long as possible".

It's simply "If you had to eat human meat to survive...would you do it?"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Easy to say when you aren't starving.
    He'll die of thirst long before he actually starves.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he's still edible, sure.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's simply "If you had to eat human meat to survive...would you do it?"
    Well if its going to be that way, then the answer is obviously "no."

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on if I knew this person or not, I think.

I may be able to see myself consuming human meat to survive. But if it's the body of a good friend? That makes it a lot harder.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

He'll die of thirst long before he actually starves.
    Again, that assumes there is no water. The OP states that what is needed for survival at the moment is food. So, since it seems all the other immediate needs have been met...the only question is "Would you eat the body?"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, that assumes there is no water. The OP states that what is needed for survival at the moment is food. So, since it seems all the other immediate needs have been met...the only question is "Would you eat the body?"
    Furthermore, the human body contains a lot of water. I'm sure, if you were willing to go so far, that you could get quite a bit of liquid out of it as well.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

You like to add a lot.
    Frankly, you and just about everyone else claiming they'd eat the body would likely die long before they work up the nerve to bite down on that arm/leg or whatever long rotted piece of flesh. Because no one knows what they'd really do...and more to the point how to actually go about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Furthermore, the human body contains a lot of water. I'm sure, if you were willing to go so far, that you could get quite a bit of liquid out of it as well.
    He died of dehydration.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Personally, I think it was poor form for the OP to state the cause of death as dehydration. If the guy had simply died in a fall or something we wouldn't be caught up in the distraction over dehydration and people would be able to focus simply on the actual question.

I guess, I mean death is worse than eating someone else.

Unless of course the corpse is decayed, in which case it would probably kill me regardless.

You like to add a lot.
    Frankly, you and just about everyone else claiming they'd eat the body would likely die long before they work up the nerve to bite down on that arm/leg or whatever long rotted piece of flesh. Because no one knows what they'd really do...and more to the point how to actually go about it.

He died of dehydration.
    I'm not adding anything at all. On the contrary. I'm stripping it down to the basic premise of "would you eat a dead body to survive?". The hypothetical situation is unnecessary and causing more problems than it is worth.

I ate a live one for breakfast. So imagine a dead one while I'm in dire straits would be no problem
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    nah id rather die then eat another human.
    You will think diffrently when on the verge of dying. The human self-preservation instinct is stronger then your morals, resolutions and disgust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    This entire thread is rendered moot by one simple fact; if you were starving to death, your body's instinct to survive would take over. Yes, you'd eat a dead human. Survival instincts override morals or preferences. It's that simple. If it's a last resort, your mind WILL make you do it in order to survive; you won't be in ANY state of mind to choose "nah, I'd rather starve". The nerve to cannibalise kicks in before you'd typically die. This is simply biological "programming", it's how we're designed.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    This entire thread is rendered moot by one simple fact; if you were starving to death, your body's instinct to survive would take over. Yes, you'd eat a dead human. Survival instincts override morals or preferences. It's that simple. If it's a last resort, your mind WILL make you do it in order to survive; you won't be in ANY state of mind to choose "nah, I'd rather starve". The nerve to cannibalise kicks in before you'd typically die. This is simply biological "programming", it's how we're designed.
    +1

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

I'm not adding anything at all. On the contrary. I'm stripping it down to the basic premise of "would you eat a dead body to survive?". The hypothetical situation is unnecessary and causing more problems than it is worth.
    Saying "it's just a hypothetical" doesn't match well with what would really happen on such an island despite any claim to the contrary.