5 year life plans - do they work

Hi

So i am looking at a huge career change in the coming years and wonder what you guys think of life plans. I currently lived my life in tje moment and just rolled with it. But lately i found this has lead to an unfulfilling career that i hate, not much savings and a genral aimless life with no direction or passion outside my hobbies.

Basically i live for holidays and the weekend to do what i love and fill my week hating life working.

So does anyone actually write down or create a plan, say 5 years for their lives to actually pivot to something that makes you happy and have a fulfilling job and a plan to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Hi

So i am looking at a huge career change in the coming years and wonder what you guys think of life plans. I currently lived my life in tje moment and just rolled with it. But lately i found this has lead to an unfulfilling career that i hate, not much savings and a genral aimless life with no direction or passion outside my hobbies.

Basically i live for holidays and the weekend to do what i love and fill my week hating life working.

So does anyone actually write down or create a plan, say 5 years for their lives to actually pivot to something that makes you happy and have a fulfilling job and a plan to get there.
    Life plans are a good foundation for the future, that does not mean everything will go according to plan but it pays to have goals and direction in life. I am not sure of your upbringing but mine made me to lean to always have a back up plan basically hope for the best prepare for the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't use life plans myself; however, they are a great tool for initiative if you are looking for change. The biggest part is aiming for attainable goals but also set smaller short terms ones so you can see your progress as you go. Aim for fixing the things that are bugging you most right now. One common mistake though is trying to fix too much at once - people don't like change and this can be hard so by doing it in increments, it'll seem to be less of an issue and you'll still make progress.

If you ever need advice on this board, Bigzo knows what is important in life!

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    Life plans are a good foundation for the future, that does not mean everything will go according to plan but it pays to have goals and direction in life. I am not sure of your upbringing but mine made me to lean to always have a back up plan basically hope for the best prepare for the worst.
    Of course. Part of the plan i am coming up with involves savi g a lot and twaching myself skills. I also have a stable job and currently two back up jobs that would both take me back without a problem if i aksed (both family memebers who i previously have worked for)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    I don't use life plans myself; however, they are a great tool for initiative if you are looking for change. The biggest part is aiming for attainable goals but also set smaller short terms ones so you can see your progress as you go. Aim for fixing the things that are bugging you most right now. One common mistake though is trying to fix too much at once - people don't like change and this can be hard so by doing it in increments, it'll seem to be less of an issue and you'll still make progress.

If you ever need advice on this board, Bigzo knows what is important in life!
    To be honest the only problem in my life right now is my job/career. Whilst i am very good at what i do, i dread going to work and find it extremely unfulfilling and a limit on my imagination and creativity.

10+ Year Old Account
    If imagination/creativity is where you feel you'll prosper, either look at areas you can improve at your work by making more efficient, or start doing that kind of shit once you get home. If it's art, start doing bullshit things of something you have interest in - actually, that works for a lot of the creative field including games. Upload that stuff on the net, even for yourself. Start learning some new skills for it, but start small and build off of that.

You noted above that you're going to start saving a lot and teach yourself skills - start by savings a set amount ($50 or whatever) then go from there. You don't want to lose all of the stuff you're currently spending on as you're not likely to keep it up unless you have a lot of will power.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    If imagination/creativity is where you feel you'll prosper, either look at areas you can improve at your work by making more efficient, or start doing that kind of shit once you get home. If it's art, start doing bullshit things of something you have interest in - actually, that works for a lot of the creative field including games. Upload that stuff on the net, even for yourself. Start learning some new skills for it, but start small and build off of that.

You noted above that you're going to start saving a lot and teach yourself skills - start by savings a set amount ($50 or whatever) then go from there. You don't want to lose all of the stuff you're currently spending on as you're not likely to keep it up unless you have a lot of will power.
    I currently save $1000 a month and still have a fair bit of spending money.

I am currently in a creative job but it is highly commercial and insustrial related subjects which are of no interest to me and I don't like the industries i work for. I used to work with a lot of architectural prosucts which was good but still limited.

My dream job would to be a tattoo artist or architect but both requore big scafrices and learning of skills. I am currently doing a lot of traditional and digital painting as well as using my train commute to sketch everyday. It keeps me sane.
    Last edited by Unhinged; 2017-01-09 at 04:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if it was a life plan but when I took my promotion 8 years ago I swore that I would get debt free, buy a house, and then enjoy life since I don't want to be one of those people who waits until they're retired to actually start living. Basically I just kept telling myself that the more I worked the quicker the bills of the past would get paid off, and then I could do what I wanted. It paid off in the end but it required a few years of some really hellacious work days and some curve balls from life a long the way. Personal motivation goes a long way if you're focused on what you want out of life, but it's also not a guarantee you'll achieve everything. The best advice I can give is to start with a 5 day plan and work your way up. Set a goal for a game or an article of clothing you'd like to have and work towards that...when you achieve it move onto something bigger. Small successes really help to keep you on track for the bigger ones.

15+ Year Old Account
    Planning ahead is always a good idea, but know that nothing works out perfectly when thinking ahead 5 years. Be ready to adapt as best you can and find ways to get back on track as needed. There was no way I could have predicted my current situation 5 years ago and I'm working on getting myself back on track. My would be 5 year plan back then is going to take a few more years now (going back to college).

I would use short term goals instead of a life plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call it a 'life plan' but goal setting I have found to be extremely beneficial. There is a system to proper goal setting. It isn't just "I want to do/have this in X time"

If you'd like me to detail more of the process just let me know, but yes, it can be helpful for people, especially those who seem to have a tough time getting things going.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I wouldn't call it a 'life plan' but goal setting I have found to be extremely beneficial.
    I'd agree with this. It's like, "I want to own a house within a couple years." Ok, then, what steps will I need to take for that? Then make a plan on that. The plan can change as you go; perhaps your financial situation changes, or whatever.

Having goals is a good thing.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

If you don't make it too strict and detailed. Have room for flexibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I wouldn't call it a 'life plan' but goal setting I have found to be extremely beneficial. There is a system to proper goal setting. It isn't just "I want to do/have this in X time"

If you'd like me to detail more of the process just let me know, but yes, it can be helpful for people, especially those who seem to have a tough time getting things going.
    I would like to know more as currently I have been living with mostly no goals or plans, especially work related. In saying that I have reached a place in which i am happy and confident in who i am as a person and already achieved a few life ling dreams, even though they are superficial. ( i have bought my dream motorbike in the last year and couldn't love it more as well as having already having booked a holiday to a lifelong dream event this year).

No. Life is far too unpredictable for that. Always be ready for anything. Multiple life plans with multiple contingencies might work though. But you would need probably a couple of dozen or more different plans.

The best (and only sensible) plan is to make the most of what you have. As you get more, make the most of that. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    This pretty much. Good foundation, but unless you actually put things into practice, nothing will change. Likewise, life does get in the way and surprises do happen, all of which can change them.

Overall, if you have your plan and do everything in your power to stick to it, as long as it's not too far fetched, it should be achievable. You're not going to be a high school drop out that just got out of jail after 10 years, fired from your last 5 jobs for starting fights and end up as the CEO of a fortune 500 company in the next 5 years. If you're a decent person, with decent goals, and decent self motivation or support, then you should be fine.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Long-term plans (I'd count 5 yrs in that) are tough just because life is so unpredictable. But it's good to have goals and start moving towards them if that's what you want. If you work hard and take small steps, it might seem like a universe away but eventually you'll get there. One key is just not getting too detailed in the goal or else you'll get frustrated when things don't go exactly that way. So you have to keep your eyes on the larger picture.

Also, you want to make sure that the move you make is really for the better. Sometimes the grass can look greener in another career and it may or may not be. There are always tradeoffs and pros and cons to every job. I know a few people that worked hard to make manager in a corporation that absolutely regretted it once they got it (a lot more hours/responsibility/headache for not much more money). If jobs were all fun they wouldn't pay. Tattoo artist is a cool job and you're basically your own boss, but if you're frustrated with savings now keep in mind it's a long road in tattooing to get out of the starving artist category. And architect is something that takes more training. and typically working for someone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, for me (this is how I've learned/trained it), there are several aspects that go into it. It's certainly not the only way, and you're welcome to research your own as well.

I usually plan out short (1wk-1mo), medium (1-3 years), long goals (5-8 years)

From there, I make a list of several areas, usually personal (knowledge, body, state of mind), material (car, computer, house), and wealth (X saved in savings, X income per paycheck). Then make a huge list of all the things in those categories. Once those are all written down, whittle it down to maybe 3-5 each.

So you have a list of several items in each category that you'd like to have in the near future, in a couple years, and in several years.

Now list WHY you want them. What does that get you, or allow you? What is your victory for having achieved or gotten that?
    Now list what happens if you DON'T do or get that thing. A lot of people don't take into account the consequence of not finishing. Everyone says "I want to lose 10lbs in the next 5 months" but don't consider... what happens if I DON'T lose that? Emotional, physical, medical, etc. It puts into mind that it's not just about good stuff, but avoiding bad.

From there, take a look at what steps are needed to achieve that, and what you're already doing, and what you need to do. Maybe things need to be re-organized. But this shows a clear path of "This is what I want, this is why I want it, and this is what I am, or need to do to get it"

Obviously you can't start just making more money, or get a car. But it starts to suss out the path to get from now, to there.

New Years Resolutions often don't work because people say "I'm gonna do this" but never pen out how or why. Proper goal setting helps achieve those things. It also gives better insight into why you behave and live the way you do, and might give some thought into changing your habits and routine to fit something that makes you into a person you are more prideful to be.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Hi

It has so far for me.
    I found myself in a similar state about 7 and a half years ago. I was 32 had no education and no training so I only had access to shitty jobs. I was a Corrections Officer and had been there for about 3 years. One day I got annoyed with the lack of forms we have to fill out when uncommon events occur and because I was tired of having to fill them out by hand I made digital version of all the forms and made them accessible to all the guard stations. My supervisor who of course didn't know this was a pretty easy task told me I need to quit this job and finish my degree. I quit about a week later and scheduled an appointment at the local branch college 4 days before the fall semester started and decided to try the college thing 1 last time. This time instead of going in half assed I made up a five year plan. I intended to graduate University in 5 years and have a job. I laid out personal requirements, which in the beginning were much more strict. I made Dean's list the first 2 semesters back. I then transferred to the main University where I got the internship I had wanted and finally graduated. The beginning of my last semester I got kind of worried because the plan was almost accomplished and I didn't know where to go from then on. So I made a new 5 year plan and I am right on course 1.5 years in. I have 3.5 years to complete it but I think it makes it easier to preplan things. The thing is when you have a plan you know what steps you want to take and you preplan them in advance. I just had a surgery last month that I had started preparations for a year ago so I would be healed up before a certain point. I am starting GRE study for the early summer exam to start my online MBA courses.

So, for me (this is how I've learned/trained it), there are several aspects that go into it. It's certainly not the only way, and you're welcome to research your own as well.

I usually plan out short (1wk-1mo), medium (1-3 years), long goals (5-8 years)

From there, I make a list of several areas, usually personal (knowledge, body, state of mind), material (car, computer, house), and wealth (X saved in savings, X income per paycheck). Then make a huge list of all the things in those categories. Once those are all written down, whittle it down to maybe 3-5 each.

So you have a list of several items in each category that you'd like to have in the near future, in a couple years, and in several years.

Now list WHY you want them. What does that get you, or allow you? What is your victory for having achieved or gotten that?
    Now list what happens if you DON'T do or get that thing. A lot of people don't take into account the consequence of not finishing. Everyone says "I want to lose 10lbs in the next 5 months" but don't consider... what happens if I DON'T lose that? Emotional, physical, medical, etc. It puts into mind that it's not just about good stuff, but avoiding bad.

From there, take a look at what steps are needed to achieve that, and what you're already doing, and what you need to do. Maybe things need to be re-organized. But this shows a clear path of "This is what I want, this is why I want it, and this is what I am, or need to do to get it"

Obviously you can't start just making more money, or get a car. But it starts to suss out the path to get from now, to there.

New Years Resolutions often don't work because people say "I'm gonna do this" but never pen out how or why. Proper goal setting helps achieve those things. It also gives better insight into why you behave and live the way you do, and might give some thought into changing your habits and routine to fit something that makes you into a person you are more prideful to be.
    Thanks for taking the time to share you insights. Some interesting things to contemplate here.