Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Lightbulb How Japan has almost eradicated gun crime

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38365729

Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world.
    In 2014 there were just six gun deaths, compared to 33,599 in the US.
    What is the secret?

7+ Year Old Account
    One part of the secret is that it's very hard to get a gun there compared to in USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    The July 26th 2016 Knife attack that killed 19 and wounded 25 others says SUP you don't need a gun m8

10+ Year Old Account
    Would never work in the US, way too many ammosexuals eager to kill other citizens at the drop of a hat. Taking their guns away? Probably not a good idea.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    The July 26th 2016 Knife attack that killed 19 and wounded 25 others says SUP you don't need a gun m8
    Thread is about gun crime. You do need a gun for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading the article, it appears to be very difficult to get a gun over there. Perhaps even ridiculously so.

And I like it.

If that 6 shots fired by the police in 2015 is true (the whole year), that's REALLY impressive.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-01-09 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Reading the article, it appears to be very difficult to get a gun over there. Perhaps even ridiculously so.

And I like it.
    Might have something to do with the fact that whereas "sticking it to the goverment" is apparently sufficient as all the reasoning they need for American ammosexuals, the very concept is kinda frowned upon in Japan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    So you have to go back 6 months to see the largest form of attack in Japan, and it's not even a gun. Wow.

but homicides committed with shuriken have sky rocketed
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Might have something to do with the fact that whereas "sticking it to the goverment" is apparently sufficient as all the reasoning they need for American ammosexuals, the very concept is kinda frowned upon in Japan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8UgOvJVol8

There's an ammosexual for you. Which is how I imagine some Americans are like.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-01-09 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    One part of the secret is that it's very hard to get a gun there compared to in USA.
    Rubbish, guns obviously have nothing to do with gun violence. Keep those nasty truths out of this irrational conversation

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we can implement all of their tactics, but I certainly think the requiring of police officers to be black belts in a particular martial art should be necessary in the U.S. as well. If they have the talent to subdue and disarm a target with just their fists, then perhaps they won't be so quick to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I don't think we can implement all of their tactics, but I certainly think the requiring of police officers to be black belts in a particular martial art should be necessary in the U.S. as well. If they have the talent to subdue and disarm a target with just their fists, then perhaps they won't be so quick to pull the trigger.
    Police officers are already trained how to take down unarmed targets.

As for the story its more of a culture thing and kinda makes this thread tricky. Japan's main reason for the lack of guns is cultural and lack of diverse races.

Japanese also tend to be more tolerant of the broad search and seizure police powers necessary to enforce the ban. Japanese, both criminals and ordinary citizens, are much more willing than their American counterparts to consent to searches and to answer questions from the police.

Its almost what we would consider a police state.

BTW Tunisia also had very few guns and well that went to hell quickly.

Deleted
    Anyone who argues that amount of guns in a country isn't directly correlated to gun violence in that country is a moron. However it's not sure whether or not you can change the situation in America by banning guns since they're already there. Also, it's much easier to maintain a low amount of guns in a country of Japan's size that's also isolated by sea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Police officers are already trained how to take down unarmed targets.

As for the story its more of a culture thing and kinda makes this thread tricky. Japan's main reason for the lack of guns is cultural and lack of diverse races.

Japanese also tend to be more tolerant of the broad search and seizure police powers necessary to enforce the ban. Japanese, both criminals and ordinary citizens, are much more willing than their American counterparts to consent to searches and to answer questions from the police.

Its almost what we would consider a police state.

BTW Tunisia also had very few guns and well that went to hell quickly.
    I know they are but you can look at several body cam videos and see police officers getting their asses handed to them by random suspects. I doubt the same would happen to someone with a black belt in Judo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nataya View Post
    Problem is that this number (33,599) includes suicides and gang wars, so it is hardly an useful statistic because people that killed themselves would just have used another method and gangs don't really care if having a gun is legal or illegal.

What a surprise... who would have thought that with fewer people having access to guns fewer people are dying of being shot. SHOCKER!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Might also lead to more discipline

Doesn't Japan have the lowest reported rape cases in the world? Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Anyone who argues that amount of guns in a country isn't directly correlated to gun violence in that country is a moron. However it's not sure whether or not you can change the situation in America by banning guns since they're already there. Also, it's much easier to maintain a low amount of guns in a country of Japan's size that's also isolated by sea.

Might want to look up Switzerland.....