Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    Might want to look up Switzerland.....
    Hah I know, I live in Sweden and we have a similar situation. But switzerland and sweden are also tiny, tiny countries compared to the US.

I saw this the other day and just laughed. No mention of the fact Japan is an island nation, homogeneous society, and has almost no immigration. Very convenient of the author.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2017-01-09 at 01:11 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it's more of a difference in culture over a difference in laws. Yes, maybe the laws make it difficult (if impossible) to get a gun in Japan, but that does not necessarily lead to it being the reasoning for less gun violence.

Suicide is also more common in Japan and their is a vanishing younger generation. Maybe the ones who would be prone to gun violence (or violence in general) turn inward instead of outward in their society.

Japan is also a much smaller congested nation, smaller than most states even. You can't compare our laws directly to theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Those are still part of gun violence.

And the notion that people who shot themselves would have done it another way is ridiculous. Guns are one of the quickest, most rash ways to kill yourself and it only takes a moment of hopelessness.
    Aren't suicide rates higher in Japan and South Korea where there are mostly no guns? That doesn't really back up your point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay that's cool, but isn't Japan big on "white weapons", knifes and other stuff of the sort? Commenting out of ignorance here.

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Anyone who argues that amount of guns in a country isn't directly correlated to gun violence in that country is a moron. However it's not sure whether or not you can change the situation in America by banning guns since they're already there. Also, it's much easier to maintain a low amount of guns in a country of Japan's size that's also isolated by sea.

Check list for you
    1. No clue what you're talking about - check
    2. Doesn't know there are places with lots of gun owners and low violence - check
    3. Assume everyone who disagrees with you is a moron - check and check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Is gun violence worse than other violence?
    Of course it's not, but there's no arguing that puolling the trigger is hands down the easiest way to take a life.
    You can literally pull that trigger faster than you can think rationally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nataya View Post
    Probably lack of black people and different culture.

infracted - forbidden topics
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-01-09 at 02:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Check list for you
    1. No clue what you're talking about - check
    2. Doesn't know there are places with lots of gun owners and low violence - check
    3. Assume everyone who disagrees with you is a moron - check and check.
    Do you believe that a country where not a single gun exists can have gun violence?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataya View Post
    Now let's talk about how repressed they are and their problem with suicide, sexism and sexual violence and the related crime.
    Japan is good at not talking about a lot of their problems. Which doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Is gun violence worse than other violence?
    A different question but an interesting one, I'd like to say yes? I imagine it's easier to kill people with a gun than any other weapon. In my country where a regular lunatic can't easily get a gun one kid attacked a school with a sword, he managed to kill 1 or 2 people, most experts were in agreement that more would have died if he had had an assault rifle or a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    The July 26th 2016 Knife attack that killed 19 and wounded 25 others says SUP you don't need a gun m8
    So? If someone manages to kill 19 people with a simple knife, imagine what he could have inflicted if he had a gun.

1.) It's laughable you seem to care more about gun violence than knife violence, as if being killed by a knife is better than being killed by a gun.

2.) Do you want to live in a world tyranny? Because disarming the American people is how that happens.

[sarcafont] But the rate of gun crime will be SO LOW![/sarcafont]

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    So you have to go back 6 months to see the largest form of attack in Japan, and it's not even a gun. Wow.
    Not to mention fail to acknowledge that the article highlights that very thing, that if a mass killing occurs its with a knife

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Do you believe that a country where not a single gun exists can have gun violence?
    And how did I even remotely imply that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Doesn't Japan have the lowest reported rape cases in the world? Maybe it's a cultural thing.
    Lowest reported being the key word. People'd rather kill themselves than report sexual violence or rape. So they don't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    And how did I even remotely imply that?
    Do you believe a country where there are 100 guns in circulation is likely to have more or less gun violence than a country with 100 000 guns in circulation?

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    The July 26th 2016 Knife attack that killed 19 and wounded 25 others says SUP you don't need a gun m8
    A single event in Japan vs the hundreds in the US? You really don't want to go down this argument to justify lack of gun control.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Vastly different culture. If they wanted guns, zip guns aren't hard to make, and bullets aren't all that tricky either.
    Culture argument is really stupid since you aren't actually defending your stance. What has culture to do with anything when it comes down to lack of gunlaws that prevents people that should not have a gun from purchasing gun

Dylann Roof should never been able to buy a gun but because of stupid gun laws that allowed him when the backgrondcheck took longer then 3 days he was allowed to buy a bloody gun.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/10/po...outh-carolina/

What's so cultural about this? And be precise please which part of the American culture says that everybody should have a gun without having to wait a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Now let's talk about how repressed they are and their problem with suicide, sexism and sexual violence and the related crime.
    Japan is good at not talking about a lot of their problems. Which doesn't mean that they don't exist.
    I fail to see how suicide rates and sexism have any relation to gun control in Japan. Sexual violence I'm guessing you're going to say won't happen if the woman could defend themselves. which is a valid point but can be argued against I'd imagine. And related crime I'm not quite with you, Are you saying if gun control was more lax, shop keepers would be able to arm themselves? Which is true, but the person mugging the place with a gun could be a tom dick or harry which under the current legislation, would never have got that firearm in the first place.

Tbh I'm all for keeping guns legal in America. Without sounding offensive I firmly believe you as a country are beyond saving in regards to gun's off the street. It will never happen, the gangs will always be armed and always have a way to be armed. I don't hold it against any father wanting to carry or having a hidden firearm in the house to protect his family against said threat. That doesn't mean I agree with it though.

A really good example I'd like to share. My flat mate (one Ive said a few stories about before, the dread bathroom manners thread *Shivers*) He's always wanted a daughter, freakishly obsessive about it. Anyways, He opened up why the other day, why he wants a daughter and why he wants her soon (regardless hes only got into a relationship 2 months ago..) He wants to be fit and able to look after her (all good so far) So he can take her at a young age (and yes specifically, 5 onwards maybe 4.... his words not mine) and he wants to let her attend shooting galleries, take her on her first hunt where he will show her how to kill a deer or moose , then proceed to let her sit on its dead carcass and take a picture. Now, some of you might say hes being responsible, I think hes an idiot to let her do it in the first place. But this example is my prime one of why Gun laws should be strict, FYI under Japans rules he would never ever be allowed to own a rile due to his PSTD

Switzerland's murder rate is fairly comparable to Japan's and they're stacked full of guns. While the easy availability of guns may exacerbate the level of violence in a society that has a violence problem, the violence problem is a necessary prerequisite for their to be any significant number of murders.

When looking at a scatterplot of all nation's murder/gun ratios, there doesn't look like an impressive correlation (unless you use the cherry-picked Vox data). The United States is a giant outlier on the number of weapons and has a lot of murders, but the next most heavily armed nations (Switzerland, Canada, Finland) aren't exactly known for violence.