Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I saw the point and showed the flawed logic but you couldn't see that, so let's leave it at that
    If that makes you feel better about yourself, sure

Anyone know what the murder rate for Japanese-Americans is by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    What do knives have to do with how little gun crime they have?

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't about just reducing the number of police shootings. When it comes down to it, it's truly a numbers thing. There are far too many guns and it's far too easy to get a gun in the US even legally.

The silly argument that criminals won't obey gun laws isn't the point of trying to restrict guns. It's about reducing the number of guns available which helps drive up black market prices to the point that your average gang banger couldn't afford a gun. Which will in turn hopefully reduce the need for police to use guns so often.

But yeah, the physical standards of law enforcement in the US is non-existent for the most part.
    No the silly argument is that crime is dependent upon a specific implement. Or, that cherry-picking statistics from another country/culture somehow makes you think it'll work like that everywhere. One could just as easily look at Switzerland and say "hey look, guns aren't the issue". But yeah, keep to your narratives and stupid "ammosexual" labels and see how far that gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I know they are but you can look at several body cam videos and see police officers getting their asses handed to them by random suspects. I doubt the same would happen to someone with a black belt in Judo.
    What belt does Ronda Rousey have?

Good for Japan.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's also because we disarmed the japanese completely after world war ii.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Anyone know what the murder rate for Japanese-Americans is by chance?
    Pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Pretty low.
    Weird. Even with all the guns available? One would have thought that as soon as they could lay their hands on guns, Japanese-Americans would be a bunch of murderous brutes and it's just the strict laws in Japan that prevents that outcome.

Maybe there's something else going on.

Arguing that banning guns do nothing because "then they use knives" is fucking stupid.

Do you think those don't count or something?
    No, they do count. However in the context of referrencing gun control from one country to the next and then sperging about "OMG AMERICA WTF GUN CONTROL NOW", it is relevant to discuss where gun deaths occur and why people do not want more gun control.

If I am a law abiding citizen who wants firearms for hunting, sport, and personal protection, I should be able to have that as per the 2nd Amendment in the Constitution.

Just because people use firearms to kill themselves which inflates the "gun deaths" meme, it doesn't mean I should lose my rights.

Just because inner-city gangs based on their own cultural violent desires and self-destructive behavior adds to the overall gun deaths, it doesn't mean as a law-abiding citizen I shouldn't be able to own guns.

Gun control or abolishing the 2nd Amendment has never come a rational perspective. That is why it won't ever happen.

When you remove literally the majority of gun related deaths, i.e. suicide and inner city gang violence, the US as a whole is remarkably safe from gun violence, on par with European countries.

Even now, you have liberals sperging about needing guns all of a sudden because of Donald Trump. These were the same ones sperging about gun control in the first place.

Deleted
    they are far behind us

So you think every single person that kills themselves with a gun would just find another way to do it if they didn't have access to a gun? I'm fairly certain you'd be wrong.
    That's not what I wrote at all. I wrote:
    The substitution effect for suicides is likely to be sufficiently strong that one wouldn't expect an impressive abrogation of suicide rate from even a complete gun ban.
    I guess this would depend on what you'd consider "impressive abrogation", but claiming that I said the substitution effect in 100% is pretty stupid and/or dishonest.

Gun laws in Japan are extrem even for a hunter its endless paperwork and many controlls.
    But the Gangs of Japan also got alot of illigal guns like the Yakuza. The difference is that the Yakuza only use guns as a last resort and prefer to stab or beat people up.

So you think every single person that kills themselves with a gun would just find another way to do it if they didn't have access to a gun? I'm fairly certain you'd be wrong.
    I would agree with you if the suicide rate (with the removal of gun related suicides) were obscenely low. But I don't think thats true.

Deleted
    Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    What belt does Ronda Rousey have?
    Here lately, it seems she has traded in her belt for a nice silk and satin sash.

I doubt the same would happen to someone with a black belt in Judo.
    And if there is one thing I have learn since the UFC came out, is that traditional martial arts are mostly garbage. MMA training for all.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2017-01-09 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I would agree with you if the suicide rate (with the removal of gun related suicides) were obscenely low. But I don't think thats true.
    In fact, this wildly understates the matter. To refer back to the original topic of the thread (Japan), the Japanese suicide rate is higher than the American murder plus suicide rate together. If we're going to make retarded inferences to point to whatever our preferred policy is, claiming that banning guns creates a wave of suicide would be the correct response to this data.

Which is my point. Seems like if less guns prevent any number of suicides, that's a good thing. Typically suicide by such methods are extremely rash decisions. It's not quite the same as someone who sits in their garage with their car started or jumps off a tall structure they had to climb.
    Do you really want to hinge your case on an, "if it saves even one life!" style argument? There's not much evidence that having more guns in a nation is an impressive contributor to suicide rates, so you're basically going to have to point to anecdotes to turn this into any sort of policy suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Weird. Even with all the guns available? One would have thought that as soon as they could lay their hands on guns, Japanese-Americans would be a bunch of murderous brutes and it's just the strict laws in Japan that prevents that outcome.

Maybe there's something else going on.
    GOOD point, proper Americans are the only ones that turn into a bunch of murderous brutes without strict laws. Good thing they have guns to protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    GOOD point, proper Americans are the only ones that turn into a bunch of murderous brutes without strict laws. Good thing they have guns to protect themselves.
    Japanese-Americans are as American as anyone else. Don't be a nasty racist.