Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Please inform me, how people who take my hard-earned money, who have never worked a day in their life, help me? Please tell me, I'm all ears.
    Why do you hate children?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    This is golden...

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Please tell me who gives you your hard earned money?

Everyone that participates in the economy that you do.

You can't earn money to give to others without others giving it to you first.
    You earn money out of the economy by going to work and paying people who don't go to work.

These people who don't work, buy things that contribute to the economy which ends up constituting your salary which goes back into paying for the people who don't work.

What level of insanity are you at??

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    A job doesn't always entail earning money, it can simply entail making someone's life worth living enough to go to work for you so they can share the money you pay them with the one that makes their lives worth living.
    Since when did a job not entail earning money? It's the whole point.

I'm all for supporting people but the argument you put forth is ridiculous, that somehow his salary is dependent on recipients of his tax dollars whom for whatever reason don't/can't work.
    Last edited by mmoc06ca072631; 2017-01-09 at 07:26 AM.

Welfare is definately preferable to desperation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    somehow his salary is dependent on recipients of his tax dollars whom for whatever reason don't/can't work.
    correct - he pays the people who work for those tax dollars in the form of his government who in turn sometimes support the people they love or may need their help that may not be able to work for whatever reason, those same people then spend those tax dollars of his they worked for on the things his company may produce, thereby completing the circle - money doesn't disapear into a vacuum once it's paid to someone or spent, it's circulated between everyone who participates in the economy
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-01-09 at 08:30 AM.

Please inform me, how people who take my hard-earned money, who have never worked a day in their life, help me? Please tell me, I'm all ears.
    The vast majority of people on welfare actually work. But you don't care. You think that since they get part of your money a VERY TINY PERCENTAGE of your taxes that you pay, that you get any say in what they get or how they can spend it. You pay less than $50 a year to pay for welfare.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    This will be something to watch. The conservatives who hate to spend any money (except military) and any Democrat who will oppose these appropriations on principal.
    Just say it's avout national security, which it is.

Wall will be built, no use to be salty about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    The vast majority of people on welfare actually work. But you don't care. You think that since they get part of your money a VERY TINY PERCENTAGE of your taxes that you pay, that you get any say in what they get or how they can spend it. You pay less than $50 a year to pay for welfare.
    Can you elaborate on how you reached this estimate? Even looking strictly at SNAP and no other welfare programs, that costs ~2% of the total federal budget and ~2% of my federal income taxes is a lot more than $50.

I would like to stop paying for welfare.
    Me too. Congressmen get paid far too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Can you elaborate on how you reached this estimate? Even looking strictly at SNAP and no other welfare programs, that costs ~2% of the total federal budget and ~2% of my federal income taxes is a lot more than $50.
    uhm why are you taking 2% of your own taxes anyway?

Do you for some reason think that the government is fully funded by peoples taxes? Governments have multiply sources of revenue outside of taxation of private people.

The 2% could be wrong or it could be right but your method of determining it right or wrong is to simplistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're going to build a wall and Mexico you're gonna pay for it!
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    uhm why are you taking 2% of your own taxes anyway?

Do you for some reason think that the government is fully funded by peoples taxes? Governments have multiply sources of revenue outside of taxation of private people.

The 2% could be wrong or it could be right but your method of determining it right or wrong is to simplistic.
    I vastly lowballed the cost of welfare by stating only the cost of SNAP as a general point that the claim that welfare only costs private citizens $50 each is pretty obviously wrong.

If you'd like to provide what you'd consider a plausible estimate for the percentage of the tax burden that's spent on welfare, I'm all ears. You're going to come up with a number that's a hell of a lot more than 2% though and be an order of magnitude or more higher than what the poster I replied to claimed.

I still stand with that he never had any real intention to build it. Asking for it in congress is probably his way to bury it forever.

I really want to see it though and wish we could submit designs. Try to imagine how it would look if we make it out of steel and adorn it with skulls and spikes, we could make it a new world wonder by making it the most Metal thing ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I still stand with that he never had any real intention to build it. Asking for it in congress is probably his way to bury it forever.

I really want to see it though and wish we could submit designs. Try to imagine how it would look if we make it out of steel and adorn it with skulls and spikes, we could make it a new world wonder by making it the most Metal thing ever.
    Maybe he should try patreon or kickstarter?
    $50,000 donations get to design a section of the wall
    $40,000 donations get their initials carved into the wall
    etc
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    Maybe he should try patreon or kickstarter?
    $50,000 donations get to design a section of the wall
    $40,000 donations get their initials carved into the wall
    etc
    And run with the money like most kickstarters?
    Too muich effort though, the government has easier ways to steal your money .

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    While it may well die in Congress the way these things often do, I can't imagine the logic in saying that asking Congress for appropriations is an effort to bury it - this would be the only reasonable starting point for any such project. An effort to not get it done would look more like starting with endless studies that don't actually move towards funding such a project in any meaningful way and then just blaming regulators or something.

While it may well die in Congress the way these things often do, I can't imagine the logic in saying that asking Congress for appropriations is an effort to bury it - this would be the only reasonable starting point for any such project. An effort to not get it done would look more like starting with endless studies that don't actually move towards funding such a project in any meaningful way and then just blaming regulators or something.
    Well the whole point here is to save face imho. He certainly can't tell all the morons that actually believed in a "wall" build by mexico that they were lied to. They are also not exactly the audience that would buy an endless swath of pointless feasability studies, most educated people realize that the majority of these are complete bullshit, even if there might be point to it. His target audience has probably an even worse opinion on them. By just throwing it out there and putting a price tag on it you can bury it very fast or at least turn it into a gloryfied fence while keeping face. Mexico paying for it is certainly not happening one way or another, so that this will be extend of it. I might give him too much credit here, but I don't thing even Trump was serious about that wall.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-01-09 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks these two look straight out of American psycho? It's like they were ripped right out of a douche catalog.
    No, that was my first thought as well before recognition kicked in.

A presidential candidate making a shitload of promises and then failing to go through with bunches of them?

What a shocker. This totally hasn't happened with literally every single presidential election in the past 50 years or so.

I vastly lowballed the cost of welfare by stating only the cost of SNAP as a general point that the claim that welfare only costs private citizens $50 each is pretty obviously wrong.

If you'd like to provide what you'd consider a plausible estimate for the percentage of the tax burden that's spent on welfare, I'm all ears. You're going to come up with a number that's a hell of a lot more than 2% though and be an order of magnitude or more higher than what the poster I replied to claimed.
    http://www.cbpp.org/research/federal...tax-dollars-go

If you ignore health care, safety net programs accounted for ~10% of the government's budget in 2015, $362B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    He should just make the wall a giant fucking hotel that overlooks all the poor people of Mexico. Then hire all Mexicans to clean, cook, and wash the giant ass windows on the Mexico side. Problem solved.
    Make it like 'Merrica. Build a giant Walmart across the border. Just as it should be, you have the brown folks going in the back and work for the "Patriots" shopping there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    I'd not be surprised if he's just making stuff up as he goes along at this point.
    At this point? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.