Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why are people hellbent on winning random BGS?

I see this happen about 50% of the time. You get into a BG, you start losing, someone gets pissed off because losing. "We won't win unless we do objectives/kill the healer/peel your healer blah blah blah".

Has it ever occurred to these people that winning isn't everything in a random BG? For me it's the place I go to smash face and not give a damn about winning or losing. Yes I play by objectives, but if I have the berserker buff and I see that squishy Fire Mage in mid then I'm gonna go and fuck him up. Because it's fun.

If you want to be competitive, play rated. Same deal with Quick Play in Overwatch, if you want to play competitively, play Competitive. I have no clue why people are so damn competitive in casual areas of the game.

EDIT: I'm gonna reword this again, because I suck at rewording things it seems.

I join a BG because I want to play my class and earn a bit of honor and AP while doing it.

I play the objective. If the EFC needs killing or the FC needs defending, I will go and help them. On certain classes (like Warrior) I will pick up the flag myself. I will attempt to win.

I will NOT just drop my role and go fight people in mid if we start losing. I don't know where people got this idea but this is not true at all.

But if we win the BG while the BG itself has been stale because no one's fighting, then I'm not going to feel very accomplished. It won't feel like we've won, it will just feel like we've stomped them and got free rewards. To me that feels just as bad as losing (only exception is if we get completely stomped and we can't do anything about it, that feelsbadman).

If I'm fighting in mid, and the FC is in no immediate danger, I won't disengage from the mid fight, because I'm having fun playing my class there. Fighting in mid is more fun than sitting in a flag room for 2 minutes waiting for someone to contest you.

I want to join a BG and have a good time. I don't want to completely stomp them, and I don't want to get completely stomped. If neither of those happen, I consider that a good BG.

Clearly I have different opinions about that and it's causing a ruckus in the BG chat.
    Last edited by Lightbull; 2017-01-12 at 12:43 AM.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

Some people find it frustrating to lose, no matter what the "stakes" are.
    Maybe they want to progress their prestiege level faster or have some other motives to do random BGs like the order hall quest that requires you to win one.
    I'm rarely vocal in BG's myself, but i dont mind others that are trying to win by telling us to do objectives or other strategies either.
    If it's taking enjoyment away from your game, i can suggest making a new chat window where instance chat is disabled.

aint randoms for those who not have an pvp team to play with? ppl want to win them randoms because its more rewarding?
    i think the slackerplace you are looking for is nether crossroads or goldshire. there you dont affect 9-14 or 39 other players
    if u wanna slack around rambostyle.

You basically answer your own question when you state why YOU enter BGs, OP.

You enter them to much around and smash face. Some people enter because they want to win. Not everyone looks at them as random muck around sessions, just because you do. (That said, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you're reason for doing them. But there's ALSO nothing wrong with wanting to win, after all you get a chance at loot boxes and more honor. Not everyone can/wants to do rated content)
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Winning is 90% of what random bgs are for (farming honor)

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people have fun winning and go to BG's to win?

Who the fuck likes losing anyway? I never get this viewpoint, you sound like someone who calls people "tryhards." Just because I'm playing casually doesn"t mean I have to accept losing.

Deleted
    When I played I hardly ever did any PvP but then Blizzard remembered to gate some PvE rewards behind PvP content (RBG wins).

This forced me to participate in content I don't like/enjoy in order to get those rewards. Obviously I want to keep it as short as possible, that means winning as fast and as often as possible.

When was the last time you heard about a Formula 1 racer who raced only because he enjoyed driving? Or a boxer that didn't care about winning and was just fighting to mess up someone?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbull View Post
    I see this happen about 50% of the time. You get into a BG, you start losing, someone gets pissed off because losing. "We won't win unless we do objectives/kill the healer/peel your healer blah blah blah".

Has it ever occurred to these people that winning isn't everything in a random BG? For me it's the place I go to smash face and not give a damn about winning or losing. Yes I play by objectives, but if I have the berserker buff and I see that squishy Fire Mage in mid then I'm gonna go and fuck him up. Because it's fun.

If you want to be competitive, play rated. Same deal with Quick Play in Overwatch, if you want to play competitively, play Competitive. I have no clue why people are so damn competitive in casual areas of the game.
    It's funny, I'm actually on the fence about this.

Sometimes I totally agree with you, going into random bgs just to bash people's face in (I play a warrior), and yep when I have that zerker buff you can bet I'm going for that spriest in the corner thinking he's safe.

But then again sometimes when I'm in the winning move it's all objective for me and I'll wonder why people aren't DOING THE RIGHT THING. I'll grab that zerker buff and just murder the efc.

Either way I'm satisfying my competitive side just depends how directly. I'd imagine most people change their play-style/focus based off their mood, and that at any time a mixture of these attitudes are in any one bg group.

Deleted
    Also, it's ok if you are able to stray from the objective or pursue someone you really want to kill (I absolutely agree, killing mage scum is essential), but you said yourself you most of the time contribute. While there are lots of people in any given BG who don't, either because they're new, confused, lost focus or otherwise not sure what to do. In which case barking simple commands like 'HELP BE' or "inc mid" or even "focus healers" actually helps, because it gives them a simple command to follow. I'm not talking about pointless raging (which also happens, ofc), but shouting about objectives or targets to kill is good.

No, if you don't care about BG objectives and just want to smash face, then play arenas or do some open world PvP. Don't queue for an objective-based gametype and then get all pissy just because someone wants to play the objectives. =P

See what I did there? To make it easier to read:
    Has it ever occurred to these people that winning is everything? For me it's the place I go to win. Because it's fun to be competitive in casual areas of the game.

You have to understand that some people, if not majority (because its more than 50%) people care about winning, whatever they do in their lives, they don't wanna come out losing. Being good at something is what drives people forward, keeps their mood up, makes them happy, REGARDLESS what stuff they do - and in case of the game, regardless if it's competitive, rated or random PvP. The goal is to win, if you lose, you don't meet your goals. And that sucks.

Real life example, myself, I do martial arts, I started doing it for the sheer fun of knowing how to fight with bare fists, kicks, etc., when I participate in some championship I intend to have fun and I don't get salty when I lose, but I always give all my best with the intention of winning.

Why on Earth would me, you, or anyone of us do ANYTHING in our lives without the goal to win? I understand the aspect of "just having fun and wrecking faces", but why not do it with the intention of winning?
    Last edited by Sojourner; 2017-01-10 at 01:09 PM.

because they want to win lol.

then again, some people can be so triggered when we are losing to the point where I want to tell them to fuck off already.

I lose like 12 BG in a row and I didn't bitch about it.

Why would you want to end a BG with 50k AP and 150 honor when you could have 100k AP and 300 honor for the exact same time investment just by not playing like a shithead?
    It's hard to comprehend that some people are so brainless that they actively try not to win.

Deleted
    It's possible to "smash face" and win at the same time, all it takes is for the team to actually switch on their brains and play as a team.

Mindblowing, I know.

Deleted
    Has it ever occurred to these people that winning isn't everything in a random BG?
    So you like to lose.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    So you like to lose.

Interesting.
    I like to have fun. This is exactly the crap I hear from the ragers in BGs.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

15+ Year Old Account
    The point of battlegrounds is focusing objectives to win. Its your team vs. another team who are both trying to get their score to X first. The way to do that varies in each BG, but it always comes down to basic goals (cap the flag, capture the mine cart, hold the orb, etc.). If you aren't really interested in that, there's world PVP. In world PVP, you're just there to kill the opposing faction.

Think of what you're doing in a battleground (if you're ignoring the objectives) like someone who's joined a dungeon, but doesn't feel like killing the mobs (joined for a random achievement). You might consider both to be fairly casual content compared to rated battlegrounds or raiding, but the person who wanders off from the group to hunt clickables while everyone else is trying to fight is doing the same thing as a person who ignores objectives. Sure the team might win just like the other 4 in the dungeon might complete it, but its now harder to do for those who actually signed up and are doing the intended goals.

There's nothing wrong with world PVP just like there's nothing wrong with achievement hunting. Its just best to do both in a way that doesn't disadvantage players that are doing what they are suppose to be doing (join world PVP groups, achievement hunting groups).

Deleted
    Everyone not wanting to win in any form of competitive (yes, a random BG is also competitive, as every non ranked PvP game is!!!) should stay out of competitive modes and don't waste time of guys with the right mind in playing competitive

Because the class hall quest requires you to win. Which is stupid, I know.

Deleted
    I like to have fun. This is exactly the crap I hear from the ragers in BGs.
    I like to look at health bars, should I enter the dungeon and sit there watching the other people bars go down?
    Last edited by mmoc00230c3bbe; 2017-01-10 at 02:01 PM.