Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your expectations or hopes from FF7R

Sup MMO-C, I'm super bored and was watching some FF7R videos (gameplay, people's reactions and shit) and was curious to see what everyone's expectations are out of this game. How do you think or hope SE will handle the remake?

Personally, if they are going with the "episodic" route, I hope it's only split into 3 parts with the third game using the assets of the first two games to make it "complete".

So something like this;

Part 1 - Midgard
    Part 2 - Kalm > Forgotten City
    Part 3 - Endgame/open world.

I'm hoping that the first two remain relatively linear with a few open areas, so they can focus on the story, character development/progression, and the world. The third part should re use the models, cities, hubs, and zones of the first two games so it can be open world at the end like in the original game without causing time and budget constraints.

I'm also hoping that they keep the compilation shit to a minimum, or at least not j-poppify it. For example, Zack's death. In the original game, during the flashback sequence when you see Zack and Cloud, Zack dies a pretty gruesome death. Gunned down by a few Shinra grunts. In CC, however, they J-poppified the shit out of his death, it was the gayest thing I've ever witnessed. I REALLY hope they keep the gritty vibe the original had, little things like that will sour my gameplay experience exponentially.
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2017-01-07 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Can a mod change 'from' to 'for' in the title, I dun goofed.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

My hopes are that they don't feel compelled to change everything just for the sake of changing. But who am I kidding, given their latest track record my hopes for this game are pretty much non existant.

10+ Year Old Account
    My expectations are that it will suck and will destroy the memory of my favorite ever game, my hopes are that it won't.

Your expectations should be to have no expectations.

It's not even being developed internally at Square. With it being out sourced it's clearly not that important of a project to them.

Also lol @ gritty. CC > VII by a mile in darkness factor. VII felt like a kids game in comparison. In fact that J Pop song is probably better then anything composed in VII, which is one of the most forgettable soundtracks in the series.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-01-08 at 09:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now that I've played FFXV, I'm a little less concerned about the feel of the battles. I'd prefer they kept the turn based system from the original, but I understand the need to modernize it. I also hope they don't change the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Now that I've played FFXV, I'm a little less concerned about the feel of the battles. I'd prefer they kept the turn based system from the original, but I understand the need to modernize it. I also hope they don't change the story.
    FFXV is lucky that FFXII exists or it would have the most boring and shit combat system in the entire series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ff7 soundtrack forgettable ><

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    FFXV is lucky that FFXII exists or it would have the most boring and shit combat system in the entire series.
    FFXII had one of the best combat systems in the series; it's a shame that the designers of XIII didn't look at the sucess of it's predecessor.

OT: I expect Square Enix to go the GAMEFREAK route and expand upon the story and world they've already laid out in the original game.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    FFXII had one of the best combat systems in the series; it's a shame that the designers of XIII didn't look at the sucess of it's predecessor.

OT: I expect Square Enix to go the GAMEFREAK route and expand upon the story and world they've already laid out in the original game.
    Don't mistake job system for battle system. The job system and character progression in XII was great. The actual combat was as dull as watching paint dry. It made Everquest 1 combat look good in comparison.

XIII shits all over XII in having actual fun combat with a high skill cap.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I had only played the young Noct "demo" that came out for FFXV six months ago, I'd agree with you. That combat was pretty boring. Playing end game now (just finishing the last couple dungeons and hunts), I'm flipping around the battle field, weapon swapping, and using my royal arms/techs. I'm sure I could just hold O and win most fights eventually, but then I'd be bored and wasting twice as much time per battle. Its not Devil May Cry level combat, but for a Final Fantasy game, I think they've done a decent job. I'd still prefer the old FF7 battle system for nostalgia's sake. I'm just less worried now that I've played FFXV.

i think it will be a reskinned ff13 and a lot of cut scenes

Don't mistake job system for battle system. The job system and character progression in XII was great. The actual combat was as dull as watching paint dry. It made Everquest 1 combat look good in comparison.

XIII shits all over XII in having actual fun combat with a high skill cap.
    I am talking about the battle system; it was consistent - no erratic timing of attacks, was adjustable to your pace, and didn't port you to an instance every time you fought a monster. It even allowed you to skip random battles entirely (even FFXIII forced you to fight if you happened across an enemy, and you had to reset every time you got into one just to escape). Movement during battle added another layer to gameplay, with many of the game's most challenging fights requiring proper positioning to win. It made the battlefield apart of the fight and factored into your strategy, as opposed to just a backdrop.

I'd take FFXII's battle system over any other main series FF battle system any day, though FFXV's is still solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really really liked 12s battle system, its definitely a hd remake I'm excited for.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    If I had only played the young Noct "demo" that came out for FFXV six months ago, I'd agree with you. That combat was pretty boring. Playing end game now (just finishing the last couple dungeons and hunts), I'm flipping around the battle field, weapon swapping, and using my royal arms/techs. I'm sure I could just hold O and win most fights eventually, but then I'd be bored and wasting twice as much time per battle. Its not Devil May Cry level combat, but for a Final Fantasy game, I think they've done a decent job. I'd still prefer the old FF7 battle system for nostalgia's sake. I'm just less worried now that I've played FFXV.
    Put 70 hours into FFXV and did all content possible. The battle system is garbage, the "super bosses" are a joke that roll over. Even the no item castlemark run is a joke when you can just continually make/spam healcast spells very easily. There is nothing rewarding or good about the XV battle system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    I am talking about the battle system; it was consistent - no erratic timing of attacks, was adjustable to your pace, and didn't port you to an instance every time you fought a monster. It even allowed you to skip random battles entirely (even FFXIII forced you to fight if you happened across an enemy, and you had to reset every time you got into one just to escape). Movement during battle added another layer to gameplay, with many of the game's most challenging fights requiring proper positioning to win. It made the battlefield apart of the fight and factored into your strategy, as opposed to just a backdrop.

I'd take FFXII's battle system over any other main series FF battle system any day, though FFXV's is still solid.
    You can avoid every non scripted enemy in FFXIII, not sure what you're talking about but it doesn't sound like you're that knowledgeable. The combat in XII is literally 1 button combat, even more so then early game in XIII. It is MMO combat without MMO depth. It's pretty damn terrible.

Someone who thinks XII and XV have good battle systems must just like free wins for no work. Because that's exactly what both games are. Yawn, unlimited sustainability, hitting 1 button, damage sponge enemies. Interesting combat... yawn.

Only one hope. That I enjoy it. That's it really. I'm a huge fan of RPGS have been since a kid. Phantasy Star, Dragon Warrior/Quest, Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Chrono Trigger, Shining Force and well my list could go on. My point is this one is huge deal for me because I want it to make me feel like that 6 year old back in 1999 playing on his PS1 smiling and happy. Sounds stupid I know but all I hope is I enjoy like I have done every FF game.

Also yeah it sounds like I fanboy FF but fuck me 13, 12, 8 and 15 had some issues. I'm not blind.

FF7 ties as my all time fav game.

I am one of the few who didn't want a remake because I wish they would just leave the series alone. I have liked each spinoff but its a series that needs to rest.

With that said once they announced it would be 3 parts (episodic) costing fully price each, any hopes I had for it was destroyed.

At this point I just hope it decent.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Without the open world and being able to go wherever you want there's really no way this game can come close to the original.

My expectations are that it will extricate $180 out of fanboys pockets for a poorly realized on-rails remake.

None. None at all. Never played it and there is a decent chance I never will. I'm frankly more inclined to watch FF games as some kind of anime adaptation than actually grind through them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefsquatch View Post
    or at least not j-poppify it
    that's about it
    tell me when was the last time, the year, when square didn't turned their final fantasy into an embarrassing thing ? for me the last respectable game was FF11 back in 2002

final fantasy 7 AC totally lacked the vibe from the game.
    final fantasy 12 still felt too japanese even though the soundtrack was incredible.
    final fantasy 13 14 15 ahah. not bad games in any way but you must not be allergic to japanese trying to be serious. totally killed it for me, it's just too different from what I expect from a FF, the formula might be lost forever when I see the latest releases. at least in the earlier FF the composers had that much genius that they could have made anything and it would feel right. see how important music is in video games.

I still wonder if problems happened when square had better technical way to render their visions or is it when sakaguchi, the FF creator, left the company.

honestly I'm sad but I think FF7 will be filled by bad taste

someone please give me hopes
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-01-10 at 09:30 PM.