Deleted

Affliction gameplay

Hi, so besides the numbers, am i the only that find the new malefic grasp + SC gameplay insanely borring ? Anybody can maintain 3 dots, spam 2 UA and then drain for like 7sec, it's probably the lamest gameplay i've seen and i've tried to play frost dk as alt ...

Personally, I find maximizing Reap and MG drain time to the flow of each encounters significantly more interesting and engaging than our other two specs. If you find it boring, I can only imagine how the other specs feel to you. I mean, realistically.. any rotation in this game is easy and eventually becomes mindless. Its the small nuances of specs that make them interesting for me long term, like procs to react to .. or in afflictions case, Reap management. To each thier own I guess.

Deleted
    That's the thing, you don't maximize anything since everytime you got 2 UA you reap and drain, it's just brainless robotic plays all the time, i played destro/demono at the begening of legion but yeah didn't like it switched affliction when almost everyone was saying how trash it was but yet doing really good at EN while we were like 100 affliction doing MM raid and got 100% wol on like 4 boss at EN MM and on guarm for like 2 weeks, i was ok with being behind other classes like sp and w/e as long as my dps was not so far behind and i actually like ES gameplay.
    I tried ES+Haunt for monotarget fight, the gameplay is way better and actually rewarding skill but you still do like ~50k less than MG+SC, wich is just sad, it's like when they made frost the go to spec while Unholy has a way better gameplay ...

Deleted
    It is, on a different post, he described demonology as mindless spamming sbolts and some hand of guldans. It should give you an insight on how biased he is. More power to him if he enjoys it, but yeah, i feel the same way with affliction than you do Thinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Yipikayey View Post
    It is, on a different post, he described demonology as mindless spamming sbolts and some hand of guldans. It should give you an insight on how biased he is. More power to him if he enjoys it, but yeah, i feel the same way with affliction than you do Thinois.
    I wouldn't say I am very biased.. I've been main spec Demo up until 7.1.5 and really enjoy the spec. I was simply using that as an tongue in cheek example to say that any and every spec in this game can be "boring" if you want to dumb it down to the basic rotation. Where my bias comes in is with the spec being fresh and new still. While I played Aff for everything out of raid all 7.1, its nice to raid with Affliction again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinois View Post
    Hi, so besides the numbers, am i the only that find the new malefic grasp + SC gameplay insanely borring ? Anybody can maintain 3 dots, spam 2 UA and then drain for like 7sec, it's probably the lamest gameplay i've seen and i've tried to play frost dk as alt ...
    I've seen this a few times, why do you want to keep up 2 UA on a single target? Icey veins opener has CoA -> corr -> SL -> 2xUA -> reap. Why do you double up on UA? It would make more sense to conserve the shard and max uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardio32 View Post
    I've seen this a few times, why do you want to keep up 2 UA on a single target? Icey veins opener has CoA -> corr -> SL -> 2xUA -> reap. Why do you double up on UA? It would make more sense to conserve the shard and max uptime.
    Because UA applies as a separate DOT each time you cast it. Casting it twice on the same target doesn't affect uptime at all. Unless you mean for the purposes of maxing uptime on Contagion, then yea, I suppose that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cafecito820 View Post
    Because UA applies as a separate DOT each time you cast it. Casting it twice on the same target doesn't affect uptime at all. Unless you mean for the purposes of maxing uptime on Contagion, then yea, I suppose that would make sense.
    Exactly its a separatae dot. It's not like you are trying to extend your immolate during w/ blaze by casting it twice.

There doesn't seem to be a reason to double up on UA opener.

Exactly its a separatae dot. It's not like you are trying to extend your immolate during w/ blaze by casting it twice.

There doesn't seem to be a reason to double up on UA opener.
    Can you get two off before the first ticks so all ticks are affected by drain? I feel like that's the reason.

My understanding is having your UAs buffed by MG+Reap is more important than Contagion uptime. You can Cast 2x UA, Reap and get MG buff up for the UA's before the first tick of the first UA you cast. Casting a 3rd makes you miss the first tick. If you only cast one UA at a time to maximize Contagion, you wouldn't have the Reap uptime to buff as many UAs as you can when you UAx2 to double dip on Reap stacks. Additionally you want to avoid having to refresh your dots while you have UA's rolling so that they can be buffed by MG. If you try to maintain contag you are going to have a lot of conflict here.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    My understanding is having your UAs buffed by MG+Reap is more important than Contagion uptime. You can Cast 2x UA, Reap and get MG buff up for the UA's before the first tick of the first UA you cast. Casting a 3rd makes you miss the first tick. If you only cast one UA at a time to maximize Contagion, you wouldn't have the Reap uptime to buff as many UAs as you can when you UAx2 to double dip on Reap stacks. Additionally you want to avoid having to refresh your dots while you have UA's rolling so that they can be buffed by MG. If you try to maintain contag you are going to have a lot of conflict here.
    Thank you that's a fantastic explanation. I was curious b/c some lock in LFR today was pulling huge dick dps on ST esp on opener and I didn't know what was going on. After the fight I saw he was getting 34% damage from UA and I was getting 29%.

The new contagion made me mentally default into a "Mists" raid style where we would always evaluate Haunt uptime. I feel like what you explained is more cyclic and dynamic. I also feel I was interrupting a lot of MG channels trying to keep a high UA uptime. I'm excited to put this new technique to work tonight. Thanks again.

You are Welcome. I would highly recommend Yipzarena Youtube channel. He is putting out great content that is not only informative, but articulated and presented extremely well. His latest video specifically goes into depth on the UAx2, reap, drain cycle.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yipzarena/videos

You are Welcome. I would highly recommend Yipzarena Youtube channel. He is putting out great content that is not only informative, but articulated and presented extremely well. His latest video specifically goes into depth on the UAx2, reap, drain cycle.

That is fantastic thank you for the resource. I did not realize that contagion was such a small (3%) gain on ST. I'm def going back to AG for QoL till I get used to this rotation. Thanks again!

I'll try to post some heroic EN logs tonight.

I spent all last night on our Mythic Helya progression running AC, as it is showing only a 3% loss from Contagion, but with the amount of movement and shards I kept generating I started to feel like at least on her and the need to burst down adds ASAP that Contagion will serve me better than AC.

Otherwise AC makes things much less dot spammy on the refreshing and you can get more MG channels. Hence the only 3% loss. The movement on Mythic Helya is out of control though and hard to get times to just sit/channel/nuke.

Also to say affliction is boring is a simplistic view. Yes it is a simple rotation, which class is really that complicated? The truth is if the rotation is boring it means you better be in the 99% percent range while also a master at boss mechanics. There are a lot of things to properly manage to do outstanding damage while staying alive and maintaining up time on dots/MG. Now in normal and heroic it might be a spammy dot/drain boring spec just pushing high numbers, but not so in mythic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by refire View Post
    Can you get two off before the first ticks so all ticks are affected by drain? I feel like that's the reason.
    Yes, that's the reason.

Thanks for the heads up here!

Quote Originally Posted by Thinois View Post
    Not sure I would say boring as such as like Soulzar I am also trying to maximise at the moment. However, I do find the rotation with MG kind of opposite to what I think of when I think of Affliction. I do definitely prefer 7.1 gameplay but of course MG brings the sweet numbers so I have switched over.