Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Comedy, especially the performance or standup variety, is frequently about transgression. Generally speaking, it's hard to be both conservative and transgressive. Even comedians that deliberately mock various modern, leftist tropes (Daniel Tosh would be an example) are still generally abhorrent to genuine conservatives. Shows like Southpark and Family Guy are frequently transgressive and mock left-wing politics, but they're not conservative at all.

I don't think it would be fair to say that conservatives don't have a sense of humor since there's plenty of apolitical humor available, but it's hard to make jokes that are conservative per se.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    Because the angry old white man schtick is really unfunny and needs to be put to rest. We already see that enough in right-wing media.
    There are a lot of angry old white men that are pretty fuckin' funny. If you don't think George Carlin was funny, you probably have a pretty stunted sense of humor.

If choosing between angry old white men and sanguine young black women for comedy, it's going to be a pretty easy choice.

Bill Burr... I guess? I wouldn't say conservative in the slightest, but his comedy shows are near-exclusively aimed at roasting liberals and "kids these days"

Isn't Alex Jones a comedian?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If choosing between angry old white men and sanguine young black women for comedy, it's going to be a pretty easy choice.
    All one of them! And her name is Leslie Jones!

I think P.J. is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Bill Burr... I guess? I wouldn't say conservative in the slightest, but his comedy shows are near-exclusively aimed at roasting liberals and "kids these days"
    he trashes everyone

Quote Originally Posted by kyoloco View Post
    he trashes everyone
    I know and it's amazing. Where's he been all my life. Just watched his 3 specials on Netflix craving more.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I know and it's amazing. Where's he been all my life. Just watched his 3 specials on Netflix craving more.
    i saw him live last November doing his soon to be next special

i almost died laughing

one of the greatest for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am actually unsure where the name altright came from.
    They were an established white nationalist group. A bunch of people that swung from left to right-leaning this election didn't want the "right" label and needed an alternative, so instead of using "centrist" or something else, they used "alt-right." The actual, established group caught wind of this when their popularity went up on twitter, so they used it to their platform's advantage since they actually thought white nationalism was catching on in a big way. The actual group itself is almost no people. The group of politically ignorant young adults that actually leans vaguely more left numbers in the thousands to tens of thousands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    Where are the likes of Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee or Trevor Noah?
    Jon Stewart is genuinely funny. Stephen Colbert is a parody artist, his target only needs to be a recognisable stereotype to be successful. I have never heard of Samantha Bee.

John Oliver is not very funny, he is just whiny, Brummies are all like that, comedians like him are ten-a-penny in the UK and how he got out of the comedy club circuit is a mystery.

I didn't realise Trevor Noah was supposed to be a comedian, I thought he was just a crap interviewer who tried to mask his talent deficiencies with weak attempts at humour.

Lots of political comedians are left wing, but not all comedy is political and so it is difficult to tell whether or not comedians from the left outnumber those from the right overall.

In the UK we have comedians like the double act Abbott & Thornberry, whose routines ridicule the left, as well as our version of a Colbert-style parody artist, Jeremy Corbyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Zone View Post
    Conservatives are too busy raising strong families and supporting the backbone of America's economy to bother with that shit.

Think about - a lost soul is stumbling through the woods, lost and hungry for days; what would rekindle him with the will to live? A dick joke, or a sandwich made of 100% pure beef that was raised and slaughtered at a local farm?
    Looks like we found the conservative comedian. As stated earlier they aren't very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Bomba View Post
    Because comedians go through the minor leagues in LA and NY. When you're trying to get off the ground, skewering the left in a room full of leftists would be career suicide. South Park opened the door to satirizing the left and imo right(ish) comedians are actually on the rise because you can bypass the NY club scene now. Gavin McInnes, Steven Crowder - Milo & Dave Rubin might be in that bag. Whether or not you actually think they are funny, they've garnered pretty large audiences online.
    Gavin McInnes wouldn't know what funny is if it hit him in the face.

Crowder is fairly moderate by right wing standards.

Milo is a real life troll, I don't think he ever made anyone laugh...ever.

Dave Rubin is a liberal, just normal one.

Because conservatives themselves are a joke.

Why are there almost no conservative comedians?

Same reason there are almost no conservative actors, teachers or news reporters. There's no money in it.

Sure if you hit it big, become the next Louis CK there's a lot of money in it, but there is only one Louis CK. There are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of comedians who never make it for every one that does. Not good odds.

Someone with a conservative mindset would never take that risk, they'd become an investment banker, lawyer or businessman something that was a sure bet.

Teachers and news reporters have never made a lot of money, they derive satisfaction from idealism.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

There's a severe case of Holier-than-Thouism going on, by the lefties, on this thread

Where are the likes of Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee or Trevor Noah?
    Those people are doing intelligent political satire. Note the "intelligent" bit in there. Now, ask me again...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    There's a severe case of Holier-than-Thouism going on, by the lefties, on this thread
    Lying is a sin.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Creative industries tend to be dominated by left leaning people.

Deleted
    All conservatives are comedians.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    In the uk we have Jim Davidson, Thatcherite conservative who claims to be a comedian.
    And Bernard Manning.

Though i prefered Bernard Righton. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFqv1QDI3Q

Deleted
    Plenty of comedians that aren't of any political party that take a piss out of everyone instead.
    Also plenty of comedians that are too fucking stupid for it too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Why are there almost no conservative comedians?

Same reason there are almost no conservative actors, teachers or news reporters. There's no money in it.

Sure if you hit it big, become the next Louis CK there's a lot of money in it, but there is only one Louis CK. There are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of comedians who never make it for every one that does. Not good odds.

Someone with a conservative mindset would never take that risk, they'd become an investment banker, lawyer or businessman something that was a sure bet.

Teachers and news reporters have never made a lot of money, they derive satisfaction from idealism.
    This could also be a solid reason why. Good point!

I really do not understand why some people feel the need to lump ,the left' or ,the right' all together. It's starting to look more and more like sports teams against eachother, an us vs them mentality...