Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm...rice and beans are a good dose of carbs and protein that will keep a person going for most of the day.
    And yes, it's far healthier than any form of junk food.

Still should get some fruit and veggies to mix it up.
    I calculated once that I could, in theory, live on nothing but rice, beans, greens (like kale), eggs. Complete, cheap, healthy.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm...rice and beans are a good dose of carbs and protein that will keep a person going for most of the day.
    And yes, it's far healthier than any form of junk food.
    Far healthier and - without question - far cheaper. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Adding broccoli to rice doesn't make rice healthier. It makes the dish healthier by reducing the amount of rice you consume (assuming you're eating a target volume of food and not just eating broccoli in addition to the same amount of rice).
    I think you're implying rice is unhealthy now?

Anyway, read my point closer. Rice is a good vessel for adding plenty of things. A bag of chips isn't. Or did I post that in another thread?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Its not my responsibility to pay taxes so they can have joy and soda. Its to make sure they dont die from malnutrition. If they want to buy junk food, then work more hours/jobs, and pay for it themselves with their own money, until then use SNAP funds for nutritious food or lose it. Now that we have a good president and Republican congress, perhaps they will pass some laws restricting what food stamps can and cannot be spent on. Put snacks, drinks other than water, seafood other than tilapia, and steaks of a higher quality than eye of round steaks on the restricted list like tobacco, alcohol, and prepared foods
    You realize a lot of people on assistance work full time jobs right? When the price of everything in the world goes up, yet minimum wage jobs, which make up a huge part of the american job market still pay the same wages for decades its inevitable that people need assistance.

You can eat whatever the hell you want to when youre not buying it with MY money. As long as Im paying for your food, I get to criticize what youre eating whether you like it or not. Id like to see the food stamp program disappear and just deliver a box of food to those who are poor every week and you get to eat what we give you
    It's not your money. It's tax money.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Brown rice especially...get more of that manganese, selenium, phosphorus, copper, magnesium, and niacin...yeah, I looked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I usually disagree with you, but I won't this time.

Would you agree with my opinion that there should be some education on how to use those ingredients in a variety of ways? For everyone, not just the poor, as I know plenty of middle class people who can't even use a toaster.

And how about the cost of cooking equipment? In college, all I had was pretty much a couple bowls, a pan, and a few utensils. Couldn't have cooked much if I wanted to.
    Unitaskers are a scam. Like with simple machines, there are really only a few necessary, fundamental cooking implements. A pan, a bowl to mix, a cutting board, a knife, a fork, a spoon, a spatula, and a whisk. Everything else is gravy. Don't get me wrong though, gravy is wonderful and makes things much easier.

You can buy 4 boxes of spaghetti for the cost of 1 bag of Doritos. Its not about the cost of real food, its that people who are receiving taxpayer money for nutritious food shouldnt be spending it on chips and soda. I think they should also pass a law requiring food stamps to be spent only on generic food, and now that the democrats have no power to stop it, its a good time to do so. By limiting purchases to generic food brands, people will either get more food or less money since its cheaper than brand names and just as nutritious
    As soon as you can provide bank transcripts that show X amount of your dollars paid in taxes went DIRECTLY to Y persons food stamp account, do you have such proof? No, because every one pays taxes but not every one taxes go to the same thing. Your taxes could of easily paid for the toilet paper in the white house or the food on a military base.

If you want to make America great again per your avatar, we need less people like you who care only about themselves and who look down on those who have less fortune or luck in life. We need more people who care about other people and those who don't look down at those who have a harder time in life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I usually disagree with you, but I won't this time.

Would you agree with my opinion that there should be some education on how to use those ingredients in a variety of ways? For everyone, not just the poor, as I know plenty of middle class people who can't even use a toaster.

And how about the cost of cooking equipment? In college, all I had was pretty much a couple bowls, a pan, and a few utensils. Couldn't have cooked much if I wanted to.
    Ill agree with that. Perhaps when people get approved for food stamps we could send them a book with with basic instructions for cooking their food. As for equipment, Good Will and thrift stores often have cooking equipment for dirt cheap, or we could send them surplus utensils, pots, and pans that the government has

its cheaper food.... and often psychologically comforting so not shocking.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    If you want to make America great again per your avatar, we need less people like you who care only about themselves and who look down on those who have less fortune or luck in life. We need more people who care about other people and those who don't look down at those who have a harder time in life.
    This is the guy that hates unions...while in a union job himself...and refuses to quit said job despite claims that he could do better.
    So think about who you're responding to.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengekaer View Post
    Really?

Where I live, I can buy groceries and prepare a healthy meal that lasts me for days for about 10-12 USD, significantly less compared to what sugar-loaded junk would cost me.
    I have been in the US, and it is my impression that it isn't any different in the US. From my short stay in the US, I really am under the impression that buying healthy stuff (like, carrots, potatoes, beans etc.) to make a decent meal is still cheaper than buying junk-food.

Pre-processed food isn't cheap food, but it is convenient. That is why people go for it mostly, not the price. That, and its addictive nature.
    There are a few cheap sources of protein like pinto beans and peanuts, but not as many options as with carbs. I still put items like potato in the sugar / carb umbrella because of starch conversion.
    Last edited by PC2; 2017-01-14 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Pasta and rice are mostly empty calories and aren't much better than chips in terms of nutritional quality.
    Obviously rice is a filler, a classic staple food to cheaply provide sufficient calories, but I think it's quite wrong to say it's not better than chips. Here, check out the nutrition facts. There's an assortment of vitamins, it's obviously much more filling than chips calorie for calorie, lower in sodium and bad fats, and doesn't have flavorings deliberately intended to be addictive. A simple curry with rice, chickpeas, and veggies is very cheap and filling while also being decently healthy.

While telling people what to eat with their money is dumb. However it is a lie that junk food is less expansive. Its simply easier. Sorry but for the price of a bag of chips you can get multiple uncooked chicken breast. For the price of a bag of chip you can get like 3-4 brocoli stub. 10 pounds of potatoes. 10 tomatoes. 10+ heart of salads. People are just lazy and dumb, its not the cost.

Ah yes, heaven forbid people during their worst of times have a single good thing. Jeez, some of you people are terrible at being human.

I wonder how the millionaires and billionaires who pay no taxes spend their money on, I mean it's not like conservatives have a double standards and don't call that welfare. /s

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its amazingly easy to see who in this thread lacks any level of sympathy for other people. It's a comfort food, people in shitty conditions benefit from em more than most. Just because you are delusional about who owns tax money doesn't mean you get to dictate how it's spent.

I will support micro-managing what poor people eat when we start doing the same for every other person in this country, the health cost burden of people eating shit in the United States far exceeds that 20 percent of people on food stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Eat rice 24/7 for a year and tell us how that works out for you...
    When I was in college, I lived off Ramen noodles and PB and J sandwiches for awhile. Probably wasn't the most healthy choice. However, it got me through college and grad school with very little loan debt.

Also, rice is a lot healthier for you than soda and junk food........

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    Ah yes, heaven forbid people during their worst of times have a single good thing. Jeez, some of you people are terrible at being human.
    We are terrible people for wishing them to purchase healthy alternatives for them and their family?

Okay, got it. We're monsters.