Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Papa Song servers may only imbibe one soap sack a day.
    Cloud Atlas?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, if you're on food stamps you should only be drinking water and eating bread and cheese.
    Tea is also cheaper than Soda. A lot of things are. Morons that use the "BUT BUT IF HEALTHY FOOD WAS CHEAPER WE'D BUY THAT" are just making poor fucking excuses for their habits.

If you are going to eat and drink shit at least be a fucking Man about it and admit you do it because you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Or heck just buy a bag of rice, peanut butter, toast, a whole chicken (use all the parts, freeze), and some spinach. Cheap as hell for the calories/nutrients you get.
    Rice is mostly empty calories. Peanut butter is mostly fat and sugar. Bread is mostly carbohydrates and nothing else. Chicken rarely provides all of the nutrients people need and spinach is disgusting.

You're someone who fails to understand how hard it is to get all of the necessary vitamins in a daily diet. Its nearly impossible without paying more plus food stamps doesn't cover supplements not that they even really work in the first place.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Cloud Atlas?
    Bingo, mate.

While the movie and the book have their flaws, the description of that hybridisation of Juche and rampant consumerism is fairly poignant in the current political environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Tea is also cheaper than Soda. A lot of things are. Morons that use the "BUT BUT IF HEALTHY FOOD WAS CHEAPER WE'D BUY THAT" are just making poor fucking excuses for their habits.

If you are going to eat and drink shit at least be a fucking Man about it and admit you do it because you enjoy it.
    Here's the thing. This goes beyond the ability to 'just survive', because humans can survive in extremely abject conditions. What we expect in a civilized society is people to be able to enjoy a quality of life that while it isn't the best in relative terms is still fairly comfortable.

There is no legitimate reason why a society with trillions of dollars in GDP should have people drinking tea because some dumb fucks can't stand the notion that people of lower income might dare to actually try and enjoy life.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    I'm quite sure you feel that way. You seem to assume it'd just stop there. I used to be that young and naive. The reality is you couldn't stop yourself there. It never stops there. That's what makes you a terrible person. There's no need to be defensive about it.
    Well, the important thing is that you've found a way to feel like you're an official Good Person. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Healthy food is more expensive.

Two, who the hell cares? It is that important to regulate what people in poverty eat? Is it going to prevent them from having a job if they buy a soda?
    Water is more expensive than soda? Weird.....

Eating healthy is NOT more expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bingo, mate.

While the movie and the book have their flaws, the description of that hybridisation of Juche and rampant consumerism is fairly poignant in the current political environment.
    This is the first time I've heard of Juche so I did a quick Google Search -- Just to make sure we're on the same page you're referring to the whole "Self-Reliance" thing and people comparing themselves to others based on the stuff they have (and don't have) instead of treating them as humans above all else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    This is the position of entitled suburban middle class people who have sufficient choice in their food purchases and the income to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the first time I've heard of Juche so I did a quick Google Search -- Just to make sure we're on the same page you're referring to the whole "Self-Reliance" thing and people comparing themselves to others based on the stuff they have (and don't have) instead of treating them as humans above all else?
    Yes, North Korean ideology. Which has disturbing parallels to the shit the Trumpets are peddling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    They're comparing healthy food to unhealthy food. Unhealthy food cost less per calorie. Healthy foods have less calories, who knew?
    No, they are comparing one of the most expensive low calorie health foods to some of the most inexpensive high calorie foods in order to produce the largest % difference possible in order to try to make a headline and grab attention, and the guy quoting the article either knows this and is being disingenuous, or he hasn't put any thought into it past "OOOH! BIG NUMBERS" which is exactly what the author desired.

This is the position of entitled suburban middle class people who have sufficient choice in their food purchases and the income to do it.
    my local grocery store will in fact run out of fresh veggies on occasion. not everyone can go to whole foods whenever they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, North Korean ideology. Which has disturbing parallels to the shit the Trumpets are peddling.
    Well I'm certain a majority didn't read his policies and don't understand that they're likely going to be the ones who suffer the consequences of their vote. Do you think they'll remain the people who bang on and on about "Personal Responsibility" when their taxes go up and safety nets dissolve so that the upper income brackets can get that much needed tax break?
    Last edited by Captain N; 2017-01-15 at 03:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Water is more expensive than soda? Weird.....

I did not say water is, though it can be, depending on where you are.

In a lot of places in America, especially urban locations, healthy food is at a premium and fast food is found everywhere on the cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm certain a majority didn't read his policies and don't understand that they're likely going to be the ones who suffer the consequences of their vote. Do you think they'll remain the people who bang on and on about "Personal Responsibility" when their taxes go up and safety nets dissolve so that the upper income brackets can get that much needed tax break?
    Probably. I don't have a lot of confidence in the ability of the average American to process a thought that isn't given a catchy phrase like 'MAGA'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    They're comparing healthy food to unhealthy food. Unhealthy food cost less per calorie. Healthy foods have less calories, who knew?
    You're not understanding the point I'm making:

The point is they chose extreme examples on BOTH ends to produce the largest possible % difference.

Most people are NOT choosing between LEAN SALMON and potato chips for dinner. They just aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    humans arent capable of digesting grass very well, that is why most herbivores have multiple stomachs.

you still haven't answered the question of why soda is bannable, but other empty calories like rice, flour, bread, pasta, etc aren't.
    Not that I'm for this topic at all, but I would assume the reason why is because they actually fill you and keep you alive and Soda does not necessarily do that. TBH, I haven't really read up on if someone can live just drinking soda as a 'food', but I know for certain that you can pretty much do that with Pasta. When I lived in New York for a year and a half what I could or couldn't eat was often dictated by what was on sale rather than what I wanted. My diet was awful and I ate pretty much nothing but Pasta because frankly I can't think of anything else near Yonkers that would let you have multiple meals off of $2-3, and I was working minimum wage.

Would not suggest it, it sucked. My weight ballooned and I'm still losing it. But I can objectively say that those empty calories, even if I obviously had nutrient deficiencies did their job since I'm still around. It was worse for my boyfriend because he lost a ton of muscle mass from the lack of protein and it really made him go from upbeat to depressed as hell for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Killadrix View Post
    You're not understanding the point I'm making:

The point is they chose extreme examples on BOTH ends to produce the largest possible % difference.

Most people are NOT choosing between LEAN SALMON and potato chips for dinner. They just aren't.
    What about salmon flavor chips?

(Im just assuming that is a thing, they have a flavor for everything) lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    What about salmon flavor chips?

(Im just assuming that is a thing, they have a flavor for everything) lol
    Hey, prawn chips are awesome.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing. This goes beyond the ability to 'just survive', because humans can survive in extremely abject conditions. What we expect in a civilized society is people to be able to enjoy a quality of life that while it isn't the best in relative terms is still fairly comfortable.

There is no legitimate reason why a society with trillions of dollars in GDP should have people drinking tea because some dumb fucks can't stand the notion that people of lower income might dare to actually try and enjoy life.
    I have no care if low income people drink Soda or eat Junk food. But they should just admit they do it because they are lazy or just want to. instead of always complaining about Healthy Food being too expensive which is a poor excuse. By the logic of these people anyone that gets a good wage should ONLY eat healthy food because they can afford it. But no, people still drink and eat low quality junk food because they enjoy it.

If drinking soda or eating junk food is just above "just surviving" to you, well that is just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    Peanut butter is mostly fat and sugar. B
    If you buy real peanut butter, the ingredients label will only say, "Peanuts, salt." That's it. No different from eating regular salted peanuts. i.e, good for you.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.