2 6.06%
  • Warned

9 27.27%
  • facing no disciplinary measures

19 57.58%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Should this streetcar driver face disciplinary measures?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...pute-1.3935535

The Toronto Transit Commission says it has spoken with one of its employees after video surfaced Friday of a nasty war of words between a driver and passenger on board a streetcar.

The person who shot the video says in the online description that it happened on a 501 Queen streetcar Thursday. The passenger had allegedly tried to pay her fare with non-Canadian currency, then asked for her money back.

"That one dollar is f--king Canadian," she's heard saying on the video. "Give it back to me."

"It's not Canadian," the driver says. "Only one Loonie is."

Green confirmed the TTC received two complaints about the driver's behaviour online. That employee has been identified and interviewed, but Green says because the issue is now a personnel matter, he can't comment on what kind of discipline — if any — the driver is facing.

I think that's a kerfuffle.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I have to wonder what this coin looked like because there are a lot of loonies that don't have the loon on it. It just sounds like he's a dumbass from what I hear

I once had a dumb bitch say my quarter wasn't an actual quarter because it didn't have the caribou.

edit: I guess he meant only the loonie was good, other coins weren't canadian. I don't know I never overly cared as a cashier if coins weren't exactly right. One or two things that could pass for what they were were fine. Typically they were dimes that were something else, I took them anyways. Honestly, it's not worth the fight most of the time.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2017-01-15 at 03:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canadian HIGH DRAMA.

I can't see that he had any right to dispute the payment. There's a LOT of "loonies" out there; http://www.coin-database.com/series/...-1-dollar.html

Everything past 1987 is a "loonie", even if it doesn't have a look on it, and a lot of them don't.

And it sounds like he refused to accept it. I haven't taken the streetcars, but a lot of buses have dispensary slots and he might not have easy access to the coins inside, so he might not have been ABLE to return it, but if he wasn't going to accept it and she was going to leave, an apology is warranted. Not calling her a "bitch" when she gets upset that he took her dollar and won't let her board.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't know that. She could easily have been using another currency. I see no reason to give the passenger the benefit of the doubt over the driver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    We don't know that. She could easily have been using another currency. I see no reason to give the passenger the benefit of the doubt over the driver.
    What other currency? The gold loonie is pretty distinctive. I can't think of any other countries that have a similar coin, off the top of my head. And regardless, even if it WASN'T a Canadian loonie, the appropriate response is still to either dig it out and give it back (if he can), or apologize to the customer and let her take your number and whatever and file a complaint if she likes.

Nothing that happened here warranted the personal attack he launched.

She got belligerent first telling him to open the fucking door etc while he said only 1 of what she gave was Canadian currency. Also a lot of buses have no way to give money back multiple countries I've been in. Hell in the US in some places if the fare is 1.50 and you give 2 dollar bills you're screwed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Canadian buses provide drivers access to the cash box?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Canadian buses provide drivers access to the cash box?
    It's a streetcar dude. Not a bus.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's a streetcar dude. Not a bus.
    Ok, same question : Canadian street cars provide drivers access to the cash box?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, same question : Canadian street cars provide drivers access to the cash box?
    We have different versions of streetcars. In the newer ones the driver is sealed off. The older ones, the fare box is next to the driver but I don't believe he has access. Never seen a operator remove change and give it back to a passenger.

That woman was out of bounds clearly.

I thought Canadians were always suppose to be polite?

7+ Year Old Account
    We have different versions of streetcars. In the newer ones the driver is sealed off. The older ones, the fare box is next to the driver but I don't believe he has access. Never seen a operator remove change and give it back to a passenger.

That woman was out of bounds clearly.
    This fits with my experience in the states and in Europe. I've never seen the driver have access to the cash box.

Don't know what that woman expected the driver to do. IMO she successfully trolled/triggered him and now that poor bastard may be in trouble cause she felt entitled to be an asshole to some poor guy just doing his job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Was probably a USA citizen working, not a Canadian. The woman was probably a US citizen as well. Cause, yeah, in my experience Canadians tend to be some of the friendliest people I have ever interacted with. Seriously, Canadians, some of the nicest people I've met.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What other currency? The gold loonie is pretty distinctive. I can't think of any other countries that have a similar coin, off the top of my head.
    When I was young, I used to really jam up behind people getting on the bus and drop in pesos with their loonies, then keep moving to the middle of the bus as quickly as possible, so the driver wouldn't notice until after enough people got on that they couldn't tell who did it. Worked every single time.

Different situation, but it's still possible under the right circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    This fits with my experience in the states and in Europe. I've never seen the driver have access to the cash box.

Don't know what that woman expected the driver to do.
    1> Take her money, assuming it was a commemorative loonie.
    2> Apologize, if he couldn't accept it and it was already in the cash box, at the very least.

IMO she successfully trolled/triggered him and now that poor bastard may be in trouble cause she felt entitled to be an asshole to some poor guy just doing his job.
    Dealing with the public pretty much requires you be able to handle this kind of thing. In every customer service position I've been in, stuff like this was a weekly if not daily occurrence. This wasn't even all that bad. Calling a customer a "bitch" because they got upset and yelled at me is pretty much a guaranteed black mark if not a straight-up firing in every position I've been in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you even watch the video. It probably was a foreigner trying to pay with some foreign currency. Totally unacceptable behaviour.

7+ Year Old Account
    1> Take her money, assuming it was a commemorative loonie.
    2> Apologize, if he couldn't accept it and it was already in the cash box, at the very least.
    Does he physically take her money? In my area, we, the passenger, put the money/ticket into the box ourselves. The only thing the driver does, besides actually driving, is verify that we've purchased a ride. If I put the wrong money/ticket in there is nothing the driver can do. The mistake is on me.

Dealing with the public pretty much requires you be able to handle this kind of thing. In every customer service position I've been in, stuff like this was a weekly if not daily occurrence. This wasn't even all that bad. Calling a customer a "bitch" because they got upset and yelled at me is pretty much a guaranteed black mark if not a straight-up firing in every position I've been in.
    I don't know. Public servants are still human beings and no human being is perfect. Sometimes people are going to lose their composure. Does this guy have a history of this type or response? If so, then something should be done. If it's a one off, considering he didn't freak out or get physical, I don't think he deserves any kind of reprimand.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2017-01-15 at 04:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It used to be we all knew what our currency looked like. These days if you got 10 twenty dollar bills every one of em looks different.

Was probably a USA citizen working, not a Canadian. The woman was probably a US citizen as well. Cause, yeah, in my experience Canadians tend to be some of the friendliest people I have ever interacted with. Seriously, Canadians, some of the nicest people I've met.
    Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was an American. The girl behind the driver seemed equally unpleasant as well

7+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was an American.
    We're all assholes down here, no argument from me!