Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    "All y'all" is where it's at.
    true that

*high fives*

Theres gotta be a clip somewhere of Sam L Jackson going "All y'all mother f'ers..."

The level of stupid at that University is astronomical.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........................

I don't have a problem with "crazy" as a whole, but I think people should avoid using it as a way to describe or especially insult people with mental illness. Mental illness is already generally handled poorly with people who don't have them and really don't understand them using them to describe normal behavior, which in turn lessens the legitimacy of such things in the eyes of an already poorly educated public. "Crazy" just invokes a really stigmatized view in that regard and I'd encourage people to avoid it in that context and for those reasons.

I generally avoid referring to people as "ugly" or otherwise commenting on their appearance unless there's some particular need to.

I removed "retarded" from own vocabulary, unless I'm referring to something that something else is currently retarding. It's an unnecessary word and I can find other ways to express the same meaning, even with the same level of hostility, without the same risk of collateral damage.
    Well obviously, to someone with a mental illness, saying crazy or dumb is prob not the best idea. However, the words themselves are not a problem and there are plenty of situations that "crazy" and "dumb' are fit for. Retarded is a bit more controversial, but I see nothing wrong with it as long as its not directed at a person with mental disabilities.

and ugly may be an insult, but its generally a harmless one on its own and really isnt in the same category as racial or sexual epithets. Also, there are plenty of times when telling someone they're "acting ugly" is perfectly fine. Otherwise, we may as well ban all insults if we dont expect people to grow thick skin.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........................

I don't have a problem with "crazy" as a whole, but I think people should avoid using it as a way to describe or especially insult people with mental illness. Mental illness is already generally handled poorly with people who don't have them and really don't understand them using them to describe normal behavior, which in turn lessens the legitimacy of such things in the eyes of an already poorly educated public. "Crazy" just invokes a really stigmatized view in that regard and I'd encourage people to avoid it in that context and for those reasons.

I generally avoid referring to people as "ugly" or otherwise commenting on their appearance unless there's some particular need to.

I removed "retarded" from own vocabulary, unless I'm referring to something that something else is currently retarding. It's an unnecessary word and I can find other ways to express the same meaning, even with the same level of hostility, without the same risk of collateral damage.
    I'm in between on "crazy" (and the rest in that category, "insane", "stupid", "dumb"). I think it's a perfectly fine descriptor of things that happen, but I agree it should be avoided when used as a descriptor for people. Like, watching a youtube video of a car rolling and doing somersaults? That's pretty crazy.

Funny enough, I think the only times I use "ugly" are for things, too. Like, those crazy (see what I did there?) cars in Huston with the chariot spikes on the rims? Ugly, definitely ugly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see a problem with telling someone with a mental illness that they're dumb as you would with anyone else. Just make sure you aren't criticizing them for a shortcoming pertaining to said illness when you do it. Regardless of the origins of the word, along with virtually every other synonymous word, it has been so thoroughly detached from that origin that it's now just a bit of trivia to tell people.

Their explanation for "ugly" is kind of whatever. I see where they're coming from, but it's not what I'd base it on. I just think people should generally avoid making unsolicited negative remarks about the appearance of others.
    Which all just kind of boils down to "judge each situation individually" rather than a blanket thing like this recommendation. Less silly that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, call events crazy all you want. I see no problem with that. I don't have a problem with calling things "ugly" either. Totally different ballgame than referring to people.
    I dunno, I think calling a person crazy if they do something crazy is also legitimate. Also, calling someone dumb for lighting off fireworks in their mouth or something dumb like that too.

and calling some people ugly is just in my woman's vernacular. Female privilege!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    The level of stupid at that University is astronomical.......
    All the more reason to keep this sort of information circulating.

Potential students, and parents of students, need to be able to investigate the type of institution they might attend.

Just as employers should be able to reference the quality of the degree their applicant is holding.

UWRF is blacklisted.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Another college to the list I won't be sending my children to. Keep em coming guys.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you need to be careful. I'm fine with it in the situation you describe and I almost included a similar situation, but I opted not to because I didn't feel like typing it out. Since you brought it up though, I don't have a problem with it if someone is planning to like go start a fight over nothing. It's all about being careful not to stigmatize mental illness or ostracize people who have one. I know a lot of people like to refer to people who have some form of bipolar disorder or schizophrenia as crazy, even if those people have their problems under control and are behaving completely normally. That's the sort of thing I look to avoid.
    Which is where situations need to be judged individually. I think telling a person you know has issues one of those things is certainly just being a jerk. However, I don't think mentioning a situation is ___ and another person overhears it and gets offended by it is legitimate either.

Which is where I have issues with some of these recommendations. It seeks a blanket removal rather that situational awareness. I cant really get behind that sort of thing. Also, the inclusion of you guys is just being excessively nit picky and looking for offense, which is where "grow up" or "grow thicker skin" needs to be applied.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, that's not going to happen. It's just not.

I mean, seriously...who gets offended by that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Have you every known anyone with bipolar disorder or schizo? Because i have and the reason i refer to them as crazy occasionally is because their behavior when they are untreated falls under the common usage of the word "crazy"

When my sister tried to climb over a 10 foot tall spiked fence for no reason to "escape" she was acting crazy
    TBH, if Im in the middle of an anxiety attack, calling me crazy is likely to just make it worse, even if its true.

Now, if I'm normal and doing something crazy, feel free to call me crazy. Hell, feel free to call me crazy even if Im not doing anything crazy. The qualifier there is that Im normal and not suffering through one of my attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    She wasn't in the middle of a panic attack, she was just manic. I have panic attacks and i agree that would make it worse or not help, but who would do that?

Oh i should mention i didn't actually call her crazy or say she was acting crazy, because calling a manic person crazy doesn't actually do anything. I just mean that referring to her at that point as crazy would be a pretty decent description.
    I can get behind that. I tend to see a large difference between referring to an action by original person to a 3rd party as crazy, vs telling the original person they're being crazy.

So most of the examples in their guide are legitimate and suggest that you shouldn't talk trash about other people on the basis of sexuality or whatever. There would seem to be no punishment whatsoever for saying "you guys" either. So while I understand why they included it, if you really want to keep saying it, feel free to just not give a fuck and continue doing so. Or fall to pieces over it on the internet. You have the power!
    What's sad is all these "guides" and "programs" to explain, in way too much detail as to be absurd, something very simple...

"hey, don't be an asshole."

unfortunately for them, an asshole will always be an asshole; but they are doing a good job explaining how to dress in sheep's clothing.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think we all need to watch our micro-aggressions.
    Bro

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    "they don't say the words are banned meaaa"

Come on people this is the radical SJW "intellectuals" here.

Does anybody honestly think they wouldn't browbeat somebody into submission for disagreeing with them?
    They really don't have as much sway on campuses as you think they do. The vast majority of people on campuses seriously don't give a fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I will start using You Guys now more often.

Deleted
    Why is it the people complaining about SJWs are also the most easily outraged

Deleted
    How many campaigns have i launched to ban SJW words?

oh right none

false equivalency

I'm not triggered i just think it's reeeeeeeeeeally dumb.
    More talking about OP

Personally i couldn't care less about teenage yanks in American colleges and their opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I couldn't care less. I will still use "you guys" when talking to a group of people. If it is all females, I will probably still say "you guys" because I understand "guys" in this case to be gender-insensitive vs "you girls", which, in my opinion, at 33, trivializes all women into girls and conjures an image of silly, laughing pre-teens.
    You just made an argument for why both are deeply misogynist. "You people" on the other hand dismisses their femininity altogether and may also appear as forced, so it's also bad. Best solution is to either not address them at all, or at least to so individually. But in the latter case, draw the names out of a hat. Otherwise you can fall to your biases and address them in a specific order that's a reflection of how much you value individual women and that's a no-no too.

Anyway, it's all sorts of silly. Bitch dehumanizes and targets women even when used against a guy? Used in any language? Even in Albanian or Swahili? Is this some language constant? Ghetto associates things with people of color when ghettos as a concept affect people of color disproportionately, i.e. still affects white people? Cunt, twat and pussy dehumanizes women, perpetuates misogyny and sexism, yet cock, dick and prick are nowhere to be seen? Is being called a dick a mark of honor in US? Is it some US/British English divide that's lost on me due to me being taught British English primarily? Ugly is white supremacist word? It promotes ableist and sizeist standard of beauty? As in the biological-driven one? Is biology bad now?

Whore, ho and slut perpetuate a sexual double standard by dismissing people, particularly women and LBGTQIA+? I mean, I get that there's some double standard between men and women, even though it's not as wide-spread as these people would want to make it, but does it extend beyond that? Does this double standard apply to gay vs straight men? Lesbians and straight women (however would that work given how women already are negatively affected by it)? Trans vs cis? Asexuals? Or Allies?

Then again such nonsense is to be expected from Common Law countries' universities. The thing that actually bothers me is the name of the university. Why is it UW-Rivers and not UW-R?

Nobody who uses the term Alpha is actually an Alpha.

Especially not people who use the term Alpha on an MMORPG forum.
    Given how that's pseudoscience based on older pseudoscience on wolves, no one is Alpha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Of course the position you agree with is shown in the best light possible, and the position you don't agree with is shown in the worst light possible.

"Oh these assholes just want equality, but these other assholes are mean Nazi's"

>.>
    https://youtu.be/cVfvTsIWkow?t=11s
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2017-01-16 at 08:13 PM.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

There are two common ways to use "ghetto" as an adjective. One just says you jury-rigged something, probably poorly. The other definitely is used to evoke an image of poor black people, often with the implication that they're dumb or uncivilized. I'd be pretty surprised if the former wasn't rooted in the latter, even if it's not how most people think of it, though I could be wrong.
    Well, I admit it can be cultural and depend on who lives in ghettos in one's area in the first place and since I'm from pretty much snowflake country, I tend to think of either white people, Jews from Nazi occupation time (or eventually Brasilian favelas for some reason) first and I guess I may tend to connect the word even in English to that imagery. Plus I'm mostly exposed to the first meaning (or one related to appearance or behavior, like style of clothing) in English.

How has deadpool not gotten a cartoon show yet.
    Right, forgot embeds don't start at selected time. Skip to 0:11.