Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    I highly doubt Obama gave clemency to Manning simply because Snowden asked politely, and Assange said he'd come back to the US. Although Assange claims that they didn't release the info that Manning gave them isn't common knowledge that Wikileaks did?

I was under the impression that Assange believes that if Manning is getting a "get out of jail free card" for treason, Assange shouldn't possibly be imprisoned for relaying the info that was going to be released somewhere anyway. Kind like a don't shoot the messenger situation, if you're not shooting who originated the message.
    Obama didn't pardon Manning, he is still guilty of treason and his sentence was commuted at the whim of one dude; I don't see how this really helps Assange's case, even though that is the conventional wisdom. Time will tell, but I foretell in a future interview that Obama explains to us that he granted clemency to Manning because of his gender issues. And really...Obama may have done us conservatives a favor here. The precedent of the military paying for gender-reassignment may have been knocked out of the court.
    Last edited by jugzilla; 2017-01-18 at 02:34 PM.
    Reminder to self, this is what your dealing with on mmo-c ot
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Incidentally, I have no issue with deceiving stupid people.
    I consider anyone right of Obama to be stupid, actually.

Slimy weasel dick assange just went back on his promise.

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecur...radition-offer
    Last edited by Baneth; 2017-01-18 at 04:00 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    Obama didn't pardon Manning, he is still guilty of treason and his sentence was commuted at the whim of one dude; I don't see how this really helps Assange's case, even though that is the conventional wisdom. Time will tell, but I foretell in a future interview that Obama explains to us that he granted clemency to Manning because of his gender issues. And really...Obama may have done us conservatives a favor here. The precedent of the military paying for gender-reassignment may have been knocked out of the court.
    I mean common clemency is essentially a pardon, but that's besides the point.

But what you have to say about the gender reassignment stuff makes sense, could totally see Obama feeling bad for this wo/man, and yes hopefully a positive precedent is set in regards to paying for actual healthcare rather than an optional costly procedure.

*didnt even know the military paid for that shit, seems ridiculous
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    I mean common clemency is essentially a pardon, but that's besides the point.

But what you have to say about the gender reassignment stuff makes sense, could totally see Obama feeling bad for this wo/man, and yes hopefully a positive precedent is set in regards to paying for actual healthcare rather than an optional costly procedure.

*didnt even know the military paid for that shit, seems ridiculous
    the military pays for even more ridiculous shit.. at ludicrous prices!

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, did some looking into it. New DoD policy effective October of last year, guess they snuck it by while we were distracted with the election. They do pay for sexual reassignments, now. This only effects a very small amount of people...I don't know why we need more people like Bradley Manning in the military, but that isn't up to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boomgoesthedynamite View Post

Not really. Assange was pretty clear when he said pardon. Obama knows the difference between a pardon and clemency, being a brilliant lawyer and all. Either way Manning is going free. The fact that Obama half-assed this instead of making a deal or forcing Asange's hand make this clemency even more baffling. I think it just summarizes the Obama administration: "dumb decisions, half measures, feels good man." Meh, Manning only compromised National security, its not like he did anything important, like leak Democrat party emails. Pretty sure he would have been sentenced to 1000 years in the electric chair had he done that.
    Last edited by jugzilla; 2017-01-18 at 05:07 PM.

Pretty sad that Obama more or less pardoned Bradley Manning, a person that essentially committed treason. I would not have thought he would have sunk so low.

- - - Updated - - -

It is lucky for Peyton Manning, or Chelsea or whatever name he chooses to hide behind, that Jugzilla was not emperor of the SA. Manning should have been have been executed. Snowden was a whistle-blower, he should be the one pardoned. Manning was a sexually confused traitor, who did not expose a conspiracy, but only exposed operational level details that got US friendly people killed.
    Amen brother!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    It's funny because the opposite is true - it's Snowden who revealed US documents and information to foreign governments. Manning released information to the American people.

There's a difference between traitor and whistleblower. That you got Manning and Snowden confused as to who was which explains much.

Of course Assange won't give himself up. He's a little bitch and a coward.
    That is where you are in correct. Manning stole over 700,000 documents. Some of which found their hands in to the enemy. At that time the "enemy" was Al Qaeda and the Taliban. The end result? Over 50 people were killed. He consorted with the enemy which makes him a traitor...
    And our PotUS set him free.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-01-18 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    the military pays for even more ridiculous shit.. at ludicrous prices!
    What pisses me off about this, is when I was in, I was denied getting braces for my teeth, because it was considered cosmetic.

From what I understood Commutation != Clemency/Pardon. May be wrong - but if anything thats how Assange will lawyer-speak out of this.

If someone else knows better - does having a commuted sentence still imply that you were guilty, whilst a Pardon forgives said crimes?

It's a grey area though given that 'Clemency' just implies 'Mercy'
    Last edited by Astigmatizm; 2017-01-18 at 05:52 PM.

but unfortunately, it was mostly Afghan and Iraqi collaborators.
    So traitors who sold out their people to American imperialism.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Assange was pretty clear when he said pardon. Obama knows the difference between a pardon and clemency, being a brilliant lawyer and all. Either way Manning is going free. The fact that Obama half-assed this instead of making a deal or forcing Asange's hand make this clemency even more baffling. I think it just summarizes the Obama administration: "dumb decisions, half measures, feels good man." Meh, Manning only compromised National security, its not like he did anything important, like leak Democrat party emails. Pretty sure he would have been sentenced to 1000 years in the electric chair had he done that.

Can you link where he said pardon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astigmatizm View Post
    If someone else knows better - does having a commuted sentence still imply that you were guilty, whilst a Pardon forgives said crimes?
    You got it.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Technically he can't because there is no US extradition request in place for him (and even if one were generated he already has a pending extradition request for Sweden, and they get first priority).
    Thanks, I was about to ask this. I know that Assange's conspiracy theory is that the rape charges against him are all a ploy to move him to a country where extradition to the US would be easier, but that has always been bullshit and a half.* I am not aware of there being any actual extradition request from the United States related to Assange, in any country. Pretty great example of his incredible ego, though.

* Remember: This began with the UK and its court system agreeing to send him Sweden on the rape charges. It would be far, far easier for the US to request extradition from the UK than Sweden give our very favorable extradition treaty with the Brits. If we wanted Assange, we would have asked them directly, not orchestrated some plot to get him sent to Sweden first.
    Last edited by Xar226; 2017-01-18 at 05:56 PM.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Gotta love Obama. He releases someone who disclosed government secrets, a high crime, just so he could get one up on Assange. Not reckless or petty in the least bit.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

Hahahaha I knew it. Assange is a fucking coward.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    Gotta love Obama. He releases someone who disclosed government secrets, a high crime, just so he could get one up on Assange. Not reckless or petty in the least bit.
    Would love to hear how this is reckless.
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2017-01-18 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Over 50 people were killed.
    Name them.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Of course he won't, Assange is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Name them.
    Yeah, because your opinion is the only one that matters. Try writing more than two words next time Shakespeare.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    Yeah, because your opinion is the only one that matters. Try writing more than two words next time Shakespeare.
    Back up your words then. Why is it so reckless?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by boomgoesthedynamite View Post

Surprising no-one.