Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You cannot infer his knowledge of the job description.
    Yes I can, he has no nuclear energy experience and didn't even know what the department did. I can infer the fuck out of his knowledge. And yours.

So by your logic the only person who is qualified for the job of SoE is someone who already was SoE.
    Nothing smart is ever prefaced with "by your logic"

10+ Year Old Account
    The DoE has little to do with the actual maintenance its almost entirely the military. They deal with the funding and bureaucracy if their was an accident they MIGHT send someone in person to get a report but mostly they go on what the military says.

Most DoE secretaries have never worked with nuclear weapons or plants so its a nonissue.

If you want to be worried about something be worried that our land based nuclear weapons platforms are using 50 year old tech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your gun is big but your aim sucks.

Rick Perry is at the top of DoE - he won't be doing any serious work. All he can do is wiggle the budget around trying to pour more money into Science and Energy budget, which then be managed by the under secretary of Science and Energy.

SoE is not some almighty god. He won't be able to just shut down NNSA or cut their budget significantly as you and wells are scaremongering here
    "It's okay if Trump appoints completely unqualified people to national positions, because the people under them will make the right decisions!"

Is this what's become of "It's okay if trump is a completely unqualified person, he'll appoint people to national positions to make the right decisions!"

Where does the responsibility get shunted off to next?

Is this just a caliber of how many layers of resistance there can be to buffer Trump's complete ineptitude?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hahahaha "Cabinet positions don't do any serious work"

Thanks man, that's the levity this thread needed.
    That's not what I said. Never cut the context. He won't be doing any serious work within the department he will be doing a lot of work outside the department because he is a proxy between DoE and President/Senate/Congress/Whatever. You jsut don't know what Secretaries do, or CEO's for that matter. They don't work in the same way as their subordinates. SoE alone has like 4 people under him who will be doing all the Department work for him via their under secretaries.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I can, he has no nuclear energy experience and didn't even know what the department did. I can infer the fuck out of his knowledge. And yours.
    oooh semantics. "yes you can" (c) obama?

Btw, what nuclear energy experience should SOE have? Experience in shutting down a reactor? Experience managing Nuclear Plant? Or experience in managing budgets?

Nothing smart is ever prefaced with "by your logic"
    Nice deflection.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

That's not what I said. Never cut the context. He won't be doing any serious work within the department he will be doing a lot of work outside the department because he is a proxy between DoE and President/Senate/Congress/Whatever. You jsut don't know what Secretaries do, or CEO's for that matter. They don't work in the same way as their subordinates. SoE alone has like 4 people under him who will be doing all the Department work for him via their under secretaries.
    Yeah your context isn't making your claim any less stupid. "Management doesn't matter because it manages" always leaves me wondering if the person making the claim has ever held a job.

oooh semantics.
    Those aren't semantics. That's Perry's gross incompetence. He took a serious job without even knowing what the job was. He wanted to cut this department without even knowing what it does. He has no relevant policy experience or technical background.

There is no way in which he is qualified for this post, let alone "the best" as Trump promised his appointments would be.

Nice deflection.
    Honey, I can't reasonably be expected to bother with every dumb thing said on this board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elim, as someone who lived under his governorship let me advise you: Rick Perry is kinda dumb. Nice goofy guy, but dumb. Texas governorship is one of the least responsible in the US, aka Lt Gov and Railroad Commish had more power. All he did was act like a PR person. You may say this aided you claim of delegation but again, with little power comes little delegation

This isn't the guy you want running things, because as Tex gov he didn't really run things either. He also wanted to get rid of the department, so absolutely he should be criticized on this. I don't think you really get Perry and just how not fit he is for this lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "It's okay if Trump appoints completely unqualified people to national positions, because the people under them will make the right decisions!"
    He is not completely unqualified.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

He is not completely unqualified.
    What qualifications does he have?

10+ Year Old Account
    And fuck, the oil and gas shot in Texas is under the Railroad commission here. Perry was not important...-_-

Perry did manage to gut education and only dipped into the rainy day fund to pay teachers when the outcry couldn't be contained though!

7+ Year Old Account
    The story itself is pretty hilarious. Watching a partisan hack try to justify it makes it that much more enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if there's every any self reflection for this kind of stuff.

You know, like, maybe, just maybe, this is a crap choice even if you think Trump is the US's long lost golden messiah.

I mean, as a thought exercise, picture this without the political blinkers on and ask yourself how this would float in business.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you don't know his qualifications? and yet here you are claiming stuff.

Go see a list of all the SoE in the history of DoE and look what qualifications they had, some had better, some had worse. Everything was just fine.

So you don't know his qualifications? and yet here you are claiming stuff.
    No, I know he has none, but you seem to think so. So lets hear what you think qualifies him for a job when he didn't even know what it was doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I know he has none.
    Sure buddy. No point in continuing this. Have fun with your partisan drivel.

10+ Year Old Account
    For someone with no exp to succeed in a job, they need to be smart / clever and adaptable. None if which Perry is...

Deleted
    I for ome couldnt be happier with Trump, as a Swede; either he improves the lives of the american working class, or he just furthers the downward decline of US world hegemony. Either way I am really happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    For someone with no exp to succeed in a job, they need to be smart / clever and adaptable. None if which Perry is...
    if hes been governor he must have some inkling of the politics hes getting into.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    I for ome couldnt be happier with Trump, as a Swede; either he improves the lives of the american working class, or he just furthers the downward decline of US world hegemony. Either way I am really happy.
    And who do you think is going to try and step up in their place given the latter scenario?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    if hes been governor he must have some inkling of the politics hes getting into.
    Well seeing as he just actively demonstrated his complete lack of knowledge for the political position he was getting himself into...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Reread my post regarding being Gov of Texas. It really doesn't

Your gun is big but your aim sucks.

Rick Perry is at the top of DoE - he won't be doing any serious work. All he can do is wiggle the budget around trying to pour more money into Science and Energy budget, which then be managed by the under secretary of Science and Energy.

SoE is not some almighty god. He won't be able to just shut down NNSA or cut their budget significantly as you and wells are scaremongering here
    Our Aim is fine. We just make bad decsisions about our Aim sometime.

You should tell every US soldier wounded by a roadside bomb in Iraq between 2003 and 2005 that Department Secretaries don't matter. It was Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld's singlemindedness in proving in the field his theories about how much more effective (compared to traditional heavy army) highly mobile, high tech, limited size armed forces could be, that got so many troops killed. The technological revolution that lead to small IED Jammers, uparmored humvees, better infantry armor, MRAP bomb-protected vehicles and heavier armor, only came over two years after the Iraq War began. Shockingly, unarmored Humvees with flat bottoms were death traps against virtual land-mines.

Donald Rumsfeld _is_ ultimately probably right, for conflicts against conventional forces of a near peer state or a traditional fighting force. But not at all for counter insurgency. Rumsfeld's unwillingness to alter his approach, and thus, what he asked for in the annual Pentagon budget request, cost the US many more troops than it otherwise would have lost.

Considering the US is embarking on it's biggest Nuclear Weapons modernization since the early 1980s as those systems are reaching the end of their service lives over the next 10-20 years (and need to have replacement programs started so they can be replaced as they are retired without a gap), this particular Secretary of Energy has a bigger job than most.

And on top of all this the Air Force is building 100-200 B-21 Raider Stealth Bombers for around $600 million each, and the Navy is building 12 new Ohio Replacement program submarines, each costing $8 billion. And the Air FOrce is starting a $30 billion ballistic missile program to replace Minuteman III.

Rick Perry has to lead the program doing this. This by the way, was Congress's asking price to Obama, Nobel Peace Prize Winner, in exchange for them consenting to NewSTART.

"Oops".