Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post
    make up your fucking mind already
    Didn't know know? It's only okay when it's done his way.

The worst warlock set... is now teir 20 with a new color...

Its lazy, its uninspired, its literally a copy paste of tier 6. That being said, it does look good, especially mythic warrior.

I like half of them, the other half suck balls

T6 hunter looks like shit
    T20(t6 HD) looks like shit
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio9 View Post
    uhm why? there are a lot awesome old tiersets which cant be used because of low poly or blurry/undetailed textures. I'm in for way more reworks.
    Totally agree that developer refresh some old textures and make old tier sets better looking but I really don't get why old armor design has been used for new content. If it's new then I'd like to see something I haven't seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    I think a few people, myself included, got the impression that it would be more inspired than just a copy/paste deal, similar to how T19 paladin was inspired by the judgement set.
    If you think it's a straight up copy paste go get some glasses.

I think they look great. Updated with the latest tech to add more details and look more crisp.

I was really disappointed with tier 7, because they, in my opinion, didn't look as good as the original tier 3. That is not the case with these new sets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    T6 hunter looks like shit
    T20(t6 HD) looks like shit
    Well... you can't turn a turd into anything else by polishing it either.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    look at the
    gems on the gloves
    skulls on the chest and belt
    and just how weirdly streched the stuff on the chest is, and tell me the left looks better then the right...
    They said the original looks better than the new one, not the other way around: "the original T6 wipes the floor with its HD replica".

I'm all for updated versions of old tier sets, but making them the new tier is a little silly feeling. I'd much rather see a brand new set of armor for every class and see the originals slowly reworked/updated to HD models over time than see them re-use the same exact armor with higher definition to fit their newer graphics standards. I'm not going to be super upset because T6 had some great sets (I think the re-done version of the priest set, especially the Mythic one with the added touches, looks outstanding, same for warriors) but I'll be slightly disappointed at the lack of new sets being made, because the new dungeon/questing sets are a bit disappointing to look at as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromes View Post
    Everytime someone says something like "literal copy paste", my brain cells commit suicide. Are you even familiar with the procedure of making new tier sets? And they already do look much better than the original, maybe put down your nostalgia glasses and actually compare those two tier sets.
    Well, here's your original question. "Are you familiar with the prodedure of making new tier sets?"

Tier sets? No. But having studied 3D Design at degree level for 3 years it has put me in the shoes of a Designer many times and think I have a very decent understanding of how things are created from scratch. With the exception of certain classes, those tier sets are not created from scratch and this takes out a huge chunk of the design process which is why I see them as Copy and Paste.
    I honestly still don't understand your nostalgia comment though.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    look at the
    gems on the gloves
    skulls on the chest and belt
    and just how weirdly streched the stuff on the chest is, and tell me the left looks better then the right...
    It's not just about polygons. It's about colors. T6 has a nice and warm base color that renders both wood and cured leather realistically, and if you brighten it up it works for fur and bone and feathers just as well. It blends nicely with the auburn paint on the robes and shoulders, and the teal on the gems is complementary to it, even more so since the yellow frame brings out the shades of green in it.

You can see the guy who made T6 understood color theory and made use of it to make the set pop visually. He also wasn't afraid to use darker shades to simulate depth and shadow (check the golden bindings on the fur trimmings on the gloves, the underside of the belt, the little bones on the dress).

On the other hand, the colors on T20 clash with each other. You've got some really bright blue and yellow, bright red on the shoulders, and a cold, baby poop brown on the shoulders that doesn't even match the robe and gloves. And the fur, bones and feathers are very very pale and they sort of break everything apart visually instead of blending in. And then there are the beaks which, again, don't really blend with or compliment any of the other colors. It's a bit of a mess.

Also, if you have a closer look, you'll notice that the textures on the gloves and robe aren't a lot more detailed (although it's clear they were redone from scratch). In some cases, T6 shows more detail in spite of the lower resolution:

http://i68.tinypic.com/35lyhhe.jpg (T6)
    http://i63.tinypic.com/a0hqo9.jpg (T20)

Check the bones on the lower part of the robe especially. Sadly, this set has the wrong belt in the mmo-champion database, and I didn't know how to change it for the model viewer, so I can't bring up that area.

You can also look at the three little feathers on the front part of each shoulder pad. In the T6 version, they have different scales and they fan out a little to sort of form an arch with the outer feathers, while on T20 they are simply copy-pasted and straight, but this might be a work in progress.

I don't want to be too harsh with the artists (I'll say it again, the T6 recolors weren't as good as the original, T20 is more consistent with the recolors), and so far I used to like the model updates, but in this case it feels low impact and unnecessary. I can't help myself but offer constructive criticism. If they had simply used T6 as an inspiration point instead of trying to remake it, we couldn't have compared them like this, and I have the feeling the artists would have been more inspired as well.

It would have been nice to have stuff such as:

- A blinking eye hunter set based on a beholder instead of a gronn:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgB6OKlWcAAP-7g.jpg

- A Nightborne-themed mage set using T6 as an inspiration point for the general outline

- A T6-shaped paladin set made to look like a Na'aru.

- A Highmountain tribe-themed druid set, with a drogbar headdress.

- A priest set with chained ghost faces instead of the same titan maidens (possibly animated).

- A ravencrest-themed rogue set, with ravens on the shoulders instead of gargoyles (?) and feathers instead of spikes.

- A felreaver-themed warrior set designed to resemble T6.

- A naga-themed shaman set, with corals on the shoulders instead of metal spikes, but a very similar outline (maybe serpents for Mythic).

- An eredar-skin set for the warlock, with and exceptionally imposing pair of horns, or something based on the inquisitors.

Edit: I can't manage to resize the images atm, so I'll just leave the links because I don't want to flood the thread. You can just open them in separate tabs and see the differences.
    Last edited by Coconut; 2017-01-24 at 12:40 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    They said the original looks better than the new one, not the other way around: "the original T6 wipes the floor with its HD replica".

I'm all for updated versions of old tier sets, but making them the new tier is a little silly feeling. I'd much rather see a brand new set of armor for every class and see the originals slowly reworked/updated to HD models over time than see them re-use the same exact armor with higher definition to fit their newer graphics standards. I'm not going to be super upset because T6 had some great sets (I think the re-done version of the priest set, especially the Mythic one with the added touches, looks outstanding, same for warriors) but I'll be slightly disappointed at the lack of new sets being made, because the new dungeon/questing sets are a bit disappointing to look at as well.
    yeah.... i dont see your point..? i was telling them how the new one looks os much better in my opinion, as the old one streches things out and warps things in the set
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    After a dozen of shit sets
    Could you please stop complaining and whining? It gets tiresome after a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    How surprising is this? If they give us a new toy(80days cd and usable in garrison only), the tier can look like human feces and nobody gives a fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheen26 View Post
    I am so sick and tired of Blizzard rehashing things, the gear is a updated spin off of all the previous tier, just more flashy. Blizzard considers this "new"???? so so so annoying to see this.
    Not at all. As a Shaman main, I am absolutely loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Looks amazing honestly. Seriously, at this point just eat a dick. This community complains about fucking EVERYTHING. How likely are you to even wear a new teir when it comes out as opposed to your previous transmog.

Meanwhile, these sets are iconic and look fucking top tier.

Either way, I fail to care about your opinion if you are just finding out they are doing this now. This was all announced at Blizzcon.
    Well, I think some peoples point is that they won't wear the new tier when it comes out because it looks like crap. Some people may feel that they have gotten lazy or lost creativity and transmog is an excuse to do this. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just that some people feel this way. And your vulgar childish comments aren't going to change that. When actual T6 was current, and you saw someone with these sets equipped....you couldn't WAIT to get your pieces to look as badass. It's usually not the case anymore with sets. First thing people want to do is transmog it.
    Last edited by Boltz; 2017-01-24 at 06:30 PM.

yes, im annoyed its not already available

Tier sets r always a lose/lose for blizzard. It's always this set looks like shit, tier 6 or whatever looked better. Make a set like tier 6, y do they rehash, they need to be original.

Actually everything they do is lose/lose. we want x, gives x, ppl bitch. Y can't stuff be like z, gives z, omg rehashed ppl bitch.

The problem with tier pieces is while a lot of people get annoyed or frustrated that they're making garbage armor sets, you have worthless forum heroes who propose the counter-argument of "If you don't like it, transmog". Listen folks, this isn't helpful. We all get that there's a functioning transmog system, but that doesn't mean the sets we're getting deserve to look like trash because there are alternatives.

Let's be real, tier sets are supposed to be bad ass and look amazing. However in the 12 years i've been playing and seeing all the tiers across all classes (let's round up to an easy estimate of 200~ sets), there's probably 30-40~ that look decent and at least 20% of those 30-40 are from T3. The majority of tier sets (tier 20 is certainly not excluded) look like they were assigned to a first year junior animator making a tier set as their first project.