Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themessiah View Post
    Wrong on several counts: Brexit, while resource consuming, is unlikely to have a negative impact on British military capability, either regionally or globally. Indeed in the long run one could see a strengthening of hard power. Moreover, it's because the UK will leave the EU that it will have to look further abroad that it may have to return to a more active role in helping to guarantee international security. It will, after all, be more dependent on trade from further abroad.
    On the contrary it is you who is underestimating the impact of Brexit, a possible Scottish exit or the EU collapsing altogether. while these events have no effect on the military it means your leaders will not have the political will or the backing to engage in any potential conflicts. That is not even going into the fact that the people in the region will be backing China thanks to their new trade deals and soft power policies, countries have been falling over each other to sign since Trump got elected.

Secondly, China's hard and soft power, while considerable, does not match American power. While it's true Trump has signaled the end for all or nearly all multilateral trade deals, his team has spoken in favour of bilateral deals. These could be used as sweetheart deals to keep certain strategically important players onside.

Not to mention that there's more to international diplomacy than mere trade.
    America wants to take their toys and go home, his team was in favor of TPP including his secretary of state Rex Tillerson. Trump's rhetoric even the speech recently mean that most deals which involve compromise, sweetheart deals in US politics are now toxic. Trump has been very consistent about that, also he truly madly deeply loves Russia which gains as much as China in this. The question is how long will Japan last in this environment they are not capable of resisting China economically or militarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The peace candidate.
    wasn't that Obama's title, even tho he bombed more arab wedding with drone strikes than anyone before him?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    the pees candidate
    WOW just like CNN you ran with that one, Fake news amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Wars with Mexico. Really?
    yeah, wow. The good part of their government can't even kill a few gangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Themessiah View Post
    Brexit, while resource consuming, is unlikely to have a negative impact on British military capability, either regionally or globally. Indeed in the long run one could see a strengthening of hard power. Moreover, it's because the UK will leave the EU that it will have to look further abroad that it may have to return to a more active role in helping to guarantee international security.
    They would have to build their navy into something credible for that. Otherwise you're not half wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omfgreally View Post
    yeah, wow. The good part of their government can't even kill a few gangs.
    Uhm the US isn´t known for being gang-free.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Trump's in charge. He won the election. He has to stand or fall on his own merit. No more deflecting each and every time someone criticizes him.
    While my inclination is to broadly agree, I think you can plan on the standard routine of, "blame the guy that was last in power from the other party". I still recall W's backers claiming that the giant deficits his policies caused with a Clinton legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    While my inclination is to broadly agree, I think you can plan on the standard routine of, "blame the guy that was last in power from the other party". I still recall W's backers claiming that the giant deficits his policies caused with a Clinton legacy
    I do recall how we went from wanting out of the Middle East to more interventions and arms selling going from Bush to Obama. Same with TPP. TPP was bad (Sanders and eventually Clinton go against it) until Trump decided it needed to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Uhm the US isn´t known for being gang-free.
    No country is.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just to give you an idea of the area that is being discussed. This region is one of the largest, if not the largest trade route in the world. The amount of trade that passes through it is calculated in the trillions of dollars a year. A lot of energy reserves have been found in the region, too. This is why the Spratly Islands are in so much dispute.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Is that why he´s hinting at another iraq invasion?
    To establish the peace; to bring order to chaos.

The peace candidate.
    Hey now, that's real hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

If only it were true...

Finally an executive order that would cross all political boundaries and surely get nearly unanimous support.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    If only it were true...

Finally an executive order that would cross all political boundaries and surely get nearly unanimous support.

OK, I know I'm a horrible person for laughing. But that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If only we had a competent president to guide us through this conflict.

Edit: Also, while Trump isn't the right person to guide us through this, I do think this conflict is necessary. We can't just let them build islands and belligerently throw their weight around when they're trying to control international waters.
    Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia also have bases on Spratly Islands. China just have the biggest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Yes, a region where a lot of people lived is the same as artificial islands
    You missed the point, of course, but that's fine.

The peace candidate.
    It's Hillary's fault!

You guys don't seem to understand that a war doesn't have to mean WW3 and nukes flying everywhere. We can simply obliterate the Chinese navy, push them back to thier shores and that's it. USA: 10 Super Carriers. China: 1 hand me down from Russia. Its no contest.

After that, its up to China.

1) Sit in their country and be at "war" with us, like North Korea has been with South Korea for 64 years.

2) Get smart and sign a treaty on USA terms.

3) Use nukes, in which case we have more, and more accurate nukes, more heavy bombers, and better stealth systems. We would win that, and THEY would be the bad guys for initiating a nuke war.

We don't have to invade them to show them whats up, sinking their navy in front of the whole world will be enough.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    More like the pees candidate, amirite?

Wasn't it the cheeto candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    You guys don't seem to understand that a war doesn't have to mean WW3 and nukes flying everywhere. We can simply obliterate the Chinese navy, push them back to thier shores and that's it. USA: 10 Super Carriers. China: 1 hand me down from Russia. Its no contest.

1) Sit in their country and be at "war" with us, like North Korea has been with South Korea for 64 years.

3) Use nukes, in which case we have more, and more accurate nukes, more heavy bombers, and better stealth systems. We would win that, and THEY would be the bad guys for initiating a nuke war.

We don't have to invade them to show them whats up, sinking their navy in front of the whole world will be enough.
    Awww these keyboard warriors/chickenhawks amuse me.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post

The more things I hear like the this the more it sounds like the US is the bad guy.