Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

I want to quit WoW - it's not easy..

I might be on the wrong forum.. but how can I quench my thirst for wow and finally quit? I've always been a avid Star Wars fan but some how this game just keeps pulling me in. I rather be playing SWTOR or ESO. I need advise from fellow quitters. Thanks.

Go to your Battle.Net account management page, click your active WoW account and then click Cancel Subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uninstall and allow a friend to change your b.net password and have them promise to never tell you. If you lack the self control, that is.

If you would rather be playing those other games...then play them? Evidently you don't want to play them nearly as much as you state here (can't speak for ESO, but regarding SWTOR...I can't blame you).

WoD was such a shit show that it made it all too easy for me to bail on WoW for good. Left and played combination of Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 for a while before being led to Final Fantasy 14.

I fail to see the difficulty of bailing on WoW at this point of it's lifespan.

Did your parents never teach you self-control?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Why quit if you don't want to? Just limit your playing sessions if it comes in conflict with real life. Once you lose the interest for the game, you'll quit naturally without putting any effort.

Quote Originally Posted by zsecmmo View Post
    I might be on the wrong forum.. but how can I quench my thirst for wow and finally quit? I've always been a avid Star Wars fan but some how this game just keeps pulling me in. I rather be playing SWTOR or ESO. I need advise from fellow quitters. Thanks.
    Basically you'll need to find something else to scratch the itch that WoW is covering for you. Whether it's another game, or something else, like working out, getting a new job, whatever.

It might also help for you to take a step back and critically think about WHY you're playing wow. Is it just out of habit, or are you actually having fun? If you're actually having fun, WHY are you having fun? Then look for those aspects in other games and focus on them.

Also, ESO is trash. Don't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Did your parents never teach you self-control?
    There are some amongst us that have issues with either dependency or control. I personally am not one of these, but I grew up with someone that did. Addictive natures are not "reeled-in" simply by someone saying no; it really more complicated than that, and if you don't deal with it yourself, it's hard to grasp. Even I didn't get it till it was made clearer to me.

To the OP, step down from whatever you do day to day. If you play 5 hours a day, make it 4 and a half and then 4 etc...while also starting a new game and working up your time there. If you stop World of Warcraft altogether, even with another outlet readily available, you won't be able to enjoy it because you never resolved your time with WoW properly. Also, get friends involved with the new game, even if they play wow and aren't ready to give up the game; having them around will make your transition easier...and maybe change their minds in the process. if not, no sweat, by then you most likely found something of worth with the new game to bridge the gap.
    Last edited by Nethlord; 2017-01-24 at 11:12 PM.
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

Burn yourself out out grinding the same shit over and over trying to get legendaries, AP, and titanforges like everyone else. You'll gain apathy for this game in no-time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Basically you'll need to find something else to scratch the itch that WoW is covering for you. Whether it's another game, or something else, like working out, getting a new job, whatever.

It might also help for you to take a step back and critically think about WHY you're playing wow. Is it just out of habit, or are you actually having fun? If you're actually having fun, WHY are you having fun? Then look for those aspects in other games and focus on them.

Also, ESO is trash. Don't go there.
    The truth is I am not having fun playing WoW anymore, right now I'm tanking this expansion but have lost all motivation. But I've invested so much time into it (since 05) that my brain tells me that I need to always play the new content. I've been brainwashed...

If you still thrust for the game you likely don't really want to quit. Unless you are truly addicted. In which case you likely shouldn't jump to another MMO. Because all it will do is satisfy the addition for a while until the WoW drug comes calling again. Weather it's a new patch, expansion, or a friend coming back. It will always come calling. You will have to truly separate yourself from the situation. Like completely.

But odds are you are just tunneling in on a few negitives when you still in fact like WoW in the overall picture. If that's the case try letting that shit roll off your shoulder. Nothing is perfect.

If you want to quit then surely it should be easy? Just do it, go do other things. I've stopped playing WoW a load of times, I come back for new content because I want to and it excites me, like going to see a new Star Wars movie or something. There is nothing wrong with stopping now and then coming to check out the game in 6 months, hell that's the best way to play.

Just remember that essentially any and all achievements and progression in the game is ultimately worthless, the time and money you spend on the game is about the present moment, if in the present moment you're not getting what you want then you should stop, you should move on and then if you want to try it again in the future there is no harm... There is plenty of harm to be had forcing yourself to play the game despite not wanting to though..

So yeah, stop playing it and go do something else, none of it matters.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I just stopped playing, and that was after actively playing for YEARS. My husband joined the Navy, and deployed. His internet is usually too crappy for him to play much of anything :P We played together, and then we suddenly weren't. I just started playing other things. Now... I only get the urge when a new xpac drops, and that's it. He's the same way. We get it out of our systems after a few weeks, then move on.

Swtor is a good choice, I enjoy it (play casually, just for story. Only 'kotor 3' I'm ever gonna see). But I play that one in short doses, too.

7+ Year Old Account
    You answered yourself, if you're not having fun anymore, then why are you even playing?

I quit for extended periods of time, because I get bored.

I just quit for a month 1/2, came back for two weeks, bored again, probably won't play again for a while.

7+ Year Old Account
    Some of you are right, in a way I do still want to play wow I'm just not having fun running normal/heroic/mythic anymore. If it's not a bad PUG group, then it's just the same content over and over. Maybe I should go casual and do just LFR and play the other game I want on the side. It's not like I'm so professional gamer competing for money, who cares If I don't get all the achievements have bragging rights for #1 in Mythic or whatever. I'm just tired of the grind....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    Self-control. Or lack of money.

As MMOs go, I haven't found one that could replace what I enjoy from WoW. I gave FF14 a thought, but decided against buying it.
    I dunno about you, but world of warcraft is (by far) the cheapest hobby I have ever had, 4+ hours a day of entertainment for less than 50 cents a day?

I will take that any day

To answer the original topic: for me it is to let loose of the social aspect of the game, some times I would find myself logging in not because I wanted to play but because other people expected it from me (arena/RBG), as long as you only log in ''selishly'' to play when you enjoy (and not play because you feel you need it to be competitive), at some point you will simply just burn out because you run out of content to run.

If you don't, good for you but in that case there isnt any reason to quit the game imo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zsecmmo View Post
    The truth is I am not having fun playing WoW anymore, right now I'm tanking this expansion but have lost all motivation. But I've invested so much time into it (since 05) that my brain tells me that I need to always play the new content. I've been brainwashed...
    This is commonly referred to as the ''sunk-cost fallacy'' where basically you think that just because you invested something that you cant get back, this fact should have an influence in your future decisions.

Especially when it comes to fun, this is a really easy bouble to penetrate, since when you stop having fun you should stop playing.

Besides that, you arn't really losing anything, since for the small sum of 15 euros you can get your account back at any time

I quit WoW for one whole year. (I picked it up again last week, but that's kinda beside the point :P )

Do what I did, and it's not so hard:

1. Cancel your WoW subscription under the Battle.net account management portal.
    2. Delete the game from your computer. (I don't recall if there was a formal uninstaller or if I just flat-out deleted it. Either way, there was no trace of the game left.)
    3. At this point, things are a bit fuzzy; I think I started playing Minecraft again. And then I played a bunch of Wii U games a month or so later.

Get a hobby that isn't video games. Like something social in the real world where you go meet people.

7+ Year Old Account
    I just cancelled my subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    I quit WoW for one whole year. (I picked it up again last week, but that's kinda beside the point :P )

Do what I did, and it's not so hard:

1. Cancel your WoW subscription under the Battle.net account management portal.
    2. Delete the game from your computer. (I don't recall if there was a formal uninstaller or if I just flat-out deleted it. Either way, there was no trace of the game left.)
    3. At this point, things are a bit fuzzy; I think I started playing Minecraft again. And then I played a bunch of Wii U games a month or so later.

I took a break from wow from cata end to basically legion start. In between only casually subscribed for 2-3months for each expansion, ect.

I would consider it quiting.

How it works. Choose yourself a good ending point such as expansion last raid. When you clear that, pick that. Anything that you can feel is a end point.
    Once you reach that point, unsubscribe. Simply like that.
    Don't open up wow. Even if you have sub left, don't play. Do something else. You may need to find yourself another thing that you can spend your time with.

So to sum up. Find yourself good spot to stop. Then stop. Replace your wow playing with something else.