Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I dont know man. Legion made it easy for me to quit after over 10 years in this game. RNG ontop of RNG on every item in the game, bis items in dungeons, poor gamedesign on classes (atleast for rogues), constant changes to speccs that result in heeps of AP used on shitty speccs and endless grind to keep up with guild mates. Take your pick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heldamon View Post
    Unistall it, having to install it again makes it an obstacle
    This; but incase you have an SSD and halfway-decent internet... then you are just shit out of luck. ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    Talk to someone (professional) about your addiction. It's probably a bit deeper than just WoW and Legion, if you're finding it hard to have the required sel-control. You need to change your habits - it's more or less like quitting smoking or any other drug addiction.

Admitting it's a problem is a great start though!
    If there is no negative effects then it's not truly an addiction like you describe. Also there's nothing to do with substances addiction, it's normal and healthy for a human to be willing to experience its own artistic creations. If we call this an addiction well, then what's the point in creating interesting things ? Should we just survive and not create anything that could interest and make someone passionate ?

I'm looking for the answer again, why would anyone try to quit something they want to do ? It's IMPORTANT to be passionate about things.
    Would you find it normal to make a passionate sport player quit his sport because he can't think of something else ? Same for a passionate sci fi book reader to quit his habit ?

Just do what you want to do and be proud of it, if you can't do anything else during your free time it's a problem of working on yourself to be a more interesting and cultivated person, not an addiction.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-01-25 at 10:46 AM.

It's not a drug, if you enjoy it, play it.
    If you asking for time management in the other hand, seek professional help.

Deleted
    Cut down playtime if you aren't in the grind you soon see through the game as being an annoying tedious grindfest. Also the less you play the less your friends and guild will rely on you to do things so the more frustrating finding groups becomes.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. Unsubscribe
    2. Delete wow installation
    2.1. Completely with all addons, macros and settings
    2.2. Delete all backups
    3. Delete any addon management clients you might have installed
    4. If it's the only Blizzard game you played - delete Battle.net app
    5. Uninstall WoW armory from your phone/tablet if you have it
    6*. Remove Authenticator if you have it
    7*. Sell/Gift your account to someone else

* If you are really done with wow.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

What I did back in Cata:

1. Cancel the subscription.
    2. Delete WoW from your computer.
    3. Find another game you enjoy and play that, explore other games
    3.5 or find something completely new - go outside or something! (That's what I did, quit playing games all together for about a year)

That worked for me atleast, the thing is to remove the temptation, and replace the urge with something else. Also if you got friends who play, kindly ask them to NOT mention anything related to WoW when you are nearby. Also if you are following people on Youtube that make WoW content, unsub right away. And leave this cursed place.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Just don't play other games, unless you have a solid group of people to play with. MMOs are mostly solo games, but include a bunch of group stuff that they sort of force you to do, so you might as well do it with people you like... which starts the cycle of "no one to play with" and looking for a guild is a lot harder as not as many people play these types of games anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

This is what I did.

1) I stopped playing.

Of course, I'm an adult.

7+ Year Old Account
    I made a break-through last night. I did a few WQ and then finished all my LFR/dungeon quests for the week. I did not run any normal or higher raids and I did not worry about it. After about 3 hours of that I went to sleep. Maybe if I'm up for it tonight I'll progress further, or I was thinking of loading up a old school game, "Star Wars: Dark Forces".

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legion made it pretty easy for me to walk away. I will probably come back once flight is released just to see how things play out. But Legion finally killed my last vestiges of willingness to raid or run group content in World of Warcraft. Once the desire to run group content was gone, unsubbing was a non issue.

Deleted
    lol, thread title made it sound like WoW wasnt easy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zsecmmo View Post
    I might be on the wrong forum.. but how can I quench my thirst for wow and finally quit? I've always been a avid Star Wars fan but some how this game just keeps pulling me in. I rather be playing SWTOR or ESO. I need advise from fellow quitters. Thanks.
    Haha, everyone's trolling you with "just uninstall bro"

"I need advise from fellow quitters"
    Alright, here we go, so you do need to get another game to occupy your time. What I have learned though, is that if you try to replace WoW with another MMO, you will simply subconsciously compare every aspect of that game to WoW, and WoW did what it does very, very well. Pick up a completely different genre, something very time consuming.

I highly recommend Lego Star Wars, whichever one includes all 6 films in 1 game. It's probably $20 or so on Steam, and if possible, use an xbox controller synced to your PC. the levels are cute and fun, and require them to replayed in order to acquire every collectible.

After you either exhaust yourself or finish that game (give it at least a month or so), then switch to Far Cry 3, 4, or Primal. Same concept, they are hugely open and explorable, with thousands of items to collect and secrets to discover. I have gotten Far Cry 4 to almost 100%, I am missing 2 items (game says I think 99.8%).

After you spend 2-3 months with games that are distracting, You'll have lost the urge to get back on WoW. For me, I always had the drive to get every class to max during 1 expansion. Although half-way done in Legion, I just couldn't stand questing the same zones any more.

Now my daily routine after work consists of watching Twitch on one monitor, and casually playing Overwatch or hearthstone, or of course LSW or FC 3, on my second monitor, and browsing social media. That's only if I don't have plans with friends or stuff to do outside of course.

It might also help you mentally to unsub, and then find something that costs you $15 a month or so, and put that money there instead, so that you will feel you cant resub to WoW unless you stop doing that other thing.
    Call it ridiculous if you want, but I found that by subbing (paying $5/mo) to a few twitch streamers, I feel that my "WoW money" is already being used, and it feels good to support someone else's dream of being a streamer full-time, rather than feeling like another month of WoW sub goes to Blizz. Not that I dislike Blizz, I'm a huge fanboy, but Ive been playing WoW for 10 years now. 15*12*10 turns into a lot of money, and they've had enough from me!

Hope this helps! I feel like I was in the same exact spot as you a bit ago.

After cancelling your subscription... removing WoW from your computer is a good step. But the best thing I have found is immersing yourself in another game. By filling your time with something that takes your focus away from WoW you'll think of it less. Currently, I'm playing Overwatch until flying comes to Legion. Blizzard makes some great games... I just prefer to fly in WoW than not.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why tho, if you enjoy playing? Just because its world of warcraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    1. Unsubscribe
    2.2. Delete all backups

Also delete any bookmark or anything related to wow that can be seen so it does not remind you at stupid game.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've finished Far Cry 1, and I have Lego Stars Force awakens, maybe I'll try and finish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    Haha, everyone's trolling you with "just uninstall bro"

"I need advise from fellow quitters"
    Alright, here we go, so you do need to get another game to occupy your time. What I have learned though, is that if you try to replace WoW with another MMO, you will simply subconsciously compare every aspect of that game to WoW, and WoW did what it does very, very well. Pick up a completely different genre, something very time consuming.

I highly recommend Lego Star Wars, whichever one includes all 6 films in 1 game. It's probably $20 or so on Steam, and if possible, use an xbox controller synced to your PC. the levels are cute and fun, and require them to replayed in order to acquire every collectible.

After you either exhaust yourself or finish that game (give it at least a month or so), then switch to Far Cry 3, 4, or Primal. Same concept, they are hugely open and explorable, with thousands of items to collect and secrets to discover. I have gotten Far Cry 4 to almost 100%, I am missing 2 items (game says I think 99.8%).

After you spend 2-3 months with games that are distracting, You'll have lost the urge to get back on WoW. For me, I always had the drive to get every class to max during 1 expansion. Although half-way done in Legion, I just couldn't stand questing the same zones any more.

Now my daily routine after work consists of watching Twitch on one monitor, and casually playing Overwatch or hearthstone, or of course LSW or FC 3, on my second monitor, and browsing social media. That's only if I don't have plans with friends or stuff to do outside of course.

It might also help you mentally to unsub, and then find something that costs you $15 a month or so, and put that money there instead, so that you will feel you cant resub to WoW unless you stop doing that other thing.
    Call it ridiculous if you want, but I found that by subbing (paying $5/mo) to a few twitch streamers, I feel that my "WoW money" is already being used, and it feels good to support someone else's dream of being a streamer full-time, rather than feeling like another month of WoW sub goes to Blizz. Not that I dislike Blizz, I'm a huge fanboy, but Ive been playing WoW for 10 years now. 15*12*10 turns into a lot of money, and they've had enough from me!

Hope this helps! I feel like I was in the same exact spot as you a bit ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zsecmmo View Post
    I've finished Far Cry 1, and I have Lego Stars Force awakens, maybe I'll try and finish that.
    I haven't done Force Awakens, only the original 6, but that's a good start! I think my favorite Far Cry so far is either 4 or Primal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    1. Unsubscribe
    2.2. Delete all backups

Quitting is very difficult! Some people find it easier than others and I believe that is a product of how "done" people are with the game. If you're still invested in the game, you will find it incredibly difficult to quit cold turkey. Personally I believe this to be true for everyone since we have characters that we have spent years building up, so its difficult just to kiss them (and your time investment) goodbye.

So with that said you have to make it as difficult for yourself as possible. Go through all of the steps above from unsubscribe to removing your authenticator. Once you do that go the last step and sell or gift your account. I've said for years that this is the only way to really quit, because its the only thing that actually makes you feel like you have earned something in return for your time. By the way I don't condone selling accounts because its against the Blizzard ToS. Really though, if you want to quit once and for all, you have to cut it out of your life like an ex gf/bf.

I wish you the best. Here I'm still playing after ~12 years, but now I manage my time much better and can be satisfied with playing less.

Edit: In regards of quenching that thirst? I don't think it ever goes away. I think that's the same reason people are always reminiscing about the glory days of WoW. Everyone wants to quench that thirst. So when you accomplish all of the above steps (congrats if you did), fill that void with something else. I recommend education, exercise, a healthy relationship, or any combination of these and others. A different video game can help as well, but I should warn you that it may lead you right back to WoW.
    Last edited by Aeriedk; 2017-01-25 at 02:39 PM.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You need to reevaluate your relationship with wow.

Many people quit multiple times, and some only play for a month or two at launch and final patch.

Is the juice worth the squeeze? Many players quit for good when the game no longer provides that initial rush.

Until you reach that point you will always have that urge, that hankering, and you will always be drawn back in again and again.

My personal experience is that I haven't been in love with game since WOTLK, Eventually the relationship died and I just moved onto other hobbies.