Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Emeryville, in general, I always thought felt a bit off. Even in the middle of the day that place feels like a part of the twilight zone.
    Gotta give the council credit for cleaning the place up. But yeah, they over did it on the gentrification, it does feel weird. The weirdest are those huge pharmaceutical companies on Hollis, with the big towers that look like incinerators. One's imagination goes to dark places... and that not even mentioning The Maze.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    That sounds really familiar like this guy that won a contest recently. He didn't win the grand prize though, that required both judge votes and audience votes.
    To be fair, the pumpkin head you´re talking about isn´t a career politician.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    To be fair, the pumpkin head you´re talking about isn´t a career politician.
    Mostly doing it because I know it triggers him but also because he's being slightly hypocritical about his criticisms.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Mostly doing it because I know it triggers him but also because he's being slightly hypocritical about his criticisms.
    You have a weird definition of slightly. ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Proposition 13.
    This is the right answer.

There was this old geezer back in the day, his property tax bill came in the mail and he was shocked at how high it was. The politicians waved him off saying they needed that money for roads, libraries and schools but that didn't stop the geezer. He looked around and found an old clause in the California Constitution that let a citizen propose a law, if he could get the signatures of a couple hundred thousand of his fellow citizens, the geezer's new law would go up for a popular vote next election.

Not surprisingly a lot of citizens decided they would like a big tax cut too. The geezer's law was passed by voters and taxes were drastically cut.

So that's why California is 42nd nationally in education. No money.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Education starts in the home. If parents taught their kids how to act the world would be a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Goody more wasted money for citizens, paying for illegals education. Thanks for nothing pal.
    Want to live in a country of stupid people? Sure, deny them education then. Also, if they're born in the US they're citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Probably because Stanford doesn't let all the weirdos in, I predict schools like ucla and usc will plummet as they get more left wing radicalized.
    That's not how admissions work. And this is why no one can have a serious conversation with you, even those of the same political standing.

The meager skills you've honed entitle you champion of sh!tposting.

You say education starts at home, with learning how to act. Clearly that didn't work on you.

Worth the infraction
    Last edited by Polybius; 2017-01-26 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So you're saying the government needs to spend more money on education? Sure, let's do it.

Of course, California also has some of the highest ranking Universities, both state and private, not only in the nation but in the world.
    I think we need to come up with better plans before we throw money at it. More money does not equal better spending, it usually ends up being wasted, it never goes to the people who needs it. Most of the money in my wife's school district goes to bullshit administration jobs, then they try to cut teachers pay saying they make too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well lets take the ludicrous amount of money we'd spend on the wall and put it towards education then hmm?

I went to highschool in California and it was very good.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I went to highschool in California and it was very good.
    I can't tell if you're serious or joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Well lets take the ludicrous amount of money we'd spend on the wall and put it towards education then hmm?
    Only four countries spend more than we do per capita on education. We're not ranked fourth worldwide for achievement. Throwing more money at our school system might not make it any better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    Only four countries spend more than we do per capita on education. We're not ranked fourth worldwide for achievement. Throwing more money at our school system might not make it any better.
    No but might not make it any worse. If the money is spend sensibly and in the places that need it I can see it helping. Just throwing a lump sum at districts doesn't work as most of them buy moronic shit like upgrades to football stadiums, and football equipment... and other stupid sports shit instead of investing in education and technology to expand learning. Or they do buy some tech but it's niche and gets one use and is never used again.

My mother has worked in education for 20 years and the amount of tablets they buy and never use again is ridiculous. I've gotten three free ipads because the school has no use for them.

So you'd be for more spending with oversight you agree with. That's pretty much everyone's solution to everything, and it's a plan that almost always gets dashed on the rocks of ways and means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    So you'd be for more spending with oversight you agree with. That's pretty much everyone's solution to everything, and it's a plan that almost always gets dashed on the rocks of ways and means.
    Doesn't inherently mean it's something I "agree" with just something that's proven to work. I despise common core but if it's proven to work and get better results out of education then by all means go for it.

But I'm not an educator and cannot begin to comment on what I think would be worthwhile to pursue. I'll leave that to the people with background in education and have a passion for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I can't tell if you're serious or joking.
    Of course I'm being serious. Coming from California to college in Nebraska I was way more prepared for college than almost everyone I met.

At least the highschool I went to seemed better than almost any high school in Nebraska. I met kids from just about every major high school in the state at the premier university, and I didn't go to some high end California high school.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Californians and those that defend it often forget that a lot of their population lives in poor conditions with lower education. Its one of those states (like Massachusetts) where many of the lesser off areas are ignored in favor of the better funded areas. But the highly liberal population of western California just sort of write them off as not mattering. Same happens in Massachusetts where Western Mass is ignored in favor of Eastern Mass. Occasionally you'll have movements in MA to split the state in two since Western Mass is tired of Boston and the surrounding areas' shit.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    you mean third?

I too can cherrypick websites that say a state's education is good or bad.

Note where Republican trifecta states rank and where Democratic trifecta states rank

Cherry-picking is a powerful drug
    You linked something that only deals with a tiny amount of high schools. Sure, if we're talking about all the states with gold medal high schools you'd have a point. The topic is general education. Look at the OP's link. It's all education and effectiveness of the schools in educating people. You're the one being dishonest and cherry picking.

http://www.edweek.org/media/2016/12/...ounts-2017.pdf

He's not even talking about overall grades of students, but the overall effectiveness of the schools in each state. There's obviously issues that need to be addressed, and deflecting these issues, like you just did, only causes more issues.

EDIT:

Chance for success.

School finance.
    K-12 Achievement.
    Last edited by urasim; 2017-01-26 at 03:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    http://www.edweek.org/media/2016/12/...ounts-2017.pdf

He's not even talking about overall grades of students, but the overall effectiveness of the schools in each state. There's obviously issues that need to be addressed, and deflecting these issues, like you just did, only causes more issues.
    Here is all I get out of that link. The US is doing terrible overall, at least at the K-12 level. That alone should be a rally cry to get more something across the board. But, let's fight over who is the best\worst of the mediocres