Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    But if other companies are engaging in these kinds of tactics:

Then cases should be brought to court.
    Regarding that, the first question they have to ask is, who determined it was a "fake news campaign" that misleads people to believe that soda and exercise can be balanced? The fact is...they can. Any kind of simple carb, in moderation, can be balanced with exercise.

Of course, we're all also realizing that a lot of obesity (and lack thereof) is more due to genetic factors than just stuffing your piggy little face with cakes and cookies.

10+ Year Old Account
    READ THE FUCKING ARTICLE. Holy shit people.

This article and lawsuit has NOTHING TO DO with 'banning sodas for making people/children fat'.

This article and lawsuit is about the tactics used by soda companies, and parallels between these tactics and the tactics used by cigarette companies.
    The point is selling pop to kids is whole helluva lot different than selling them cigars. Kids are perfectly built to drink pop: They need everything they can get to help grow, sugar being one of them. They have a perfect tolerance for sugar, in fact. Below a certain age children can take as much sugar as you can give them. Something about their bones I'm not sure. They burn through the extra carbs as long as they get exercise, which most kids do, especially on caffeine. And to top it off they are gonna lose most of those teeth anyway, whats the point of the acid eating through them?

TL;DR, why the hell should they be sued for using similar tactics as tobacco companies when they aren't even selling anything harmful?

Try to control your kid once it hits maybe 7 or 8, let me know how that works for you.

To expand on this, ads are unavoidable. They come at kids through the TV, internet, their phones, and out on the street. I say this even with adblockers on all possible devices. And children aren't mindless thralls of their parents. If they see something they like, their parents generally won't be able to reason with them as to why they shouldn't like it. Children don't have enough context to make intelligent decisions about these kinds of things, or understand why they shouldn't do something their body is telling them to do.

Secondly, children often have access to the means of acquiring the thing they desire. For example; middle-schoolers are generally given an allowance, and soda is incredibly easy to come by. Parents can't be omnipresent.
    If you're completely spineless and say yes to everything your kids want I can see where this is an issue, even if getting bombarded by ad's they still need the parent for the means to get it in most cases (personally I think the bombardment of ad's is it's own worse enemy so many they almost seem like ignore-able white noise now) if you can't give them some rules on the allowance what's to keep them from spending it all on candy, etc.
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2017-01-27 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyze View Post
    I am absolutely sick of seeing our children poisoned.
    I agree. And kept them the fuck away from the tap water.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

So again, just like the media tried to pin shit on video games for gun violence, they now try to blame a product for causing obesity rather than the people who are exposing these kids to this stuff.

When the fuck are we going to hold the PARENTS responsible for their actions and the effects on their children and stop scapegoating the shit out of every damn thing out there. This is absolutely ridiculous. With the media doing this shit, they're basically allowing for a lack of accountability on the stupid parents parts. "Oh it's not my fault, the soda I bought for them every day for a year did it....," "It's not my fault he plays video games all day even though I bought the system, the game, and didn't make him go outside and play or do anything besides play games until he picked up my unattended loaded gun from the coffee table..."

This kind of stuff makes me physically angry because of the level of stupidity and egregious lack of accountability.

This is so stupid...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Poisoned? How the hell is anyone being poisoned by a soft drink??
    Although heavily exaggerated, soda is bad for you. It's just syrup diluted by soda water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Children "getting poisoned" on soda sounds like a parenting issue, and not a Coca Cola issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    Although heavily exaggerated, soda is bad for you. It's just syrup diluted by soda water.
    It's not particularly bad for you in moderation. Fruit, for instance, can be just as bad if you overeat it.

So is water if you drink too much of it. People die because of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

How is that a qualifier for "bad for you" lol?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyze View Post
    Reposting this without the bait because I for one am very happy to see this

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...T8M?li=BBmkt5R

I am absolutely sick of seeing our children poisoned. Absolutely unacceptable. Hopefully someone goes after big pharma soon enough.
    That is on the parents not the company selling the drink. Soda is damn near posion, but it is shitty parents giving kids soda that is the issue. I understand it is easier to hamsteing a company then stop bad parents from being bad parents. The worst is when you see a bottle filled with soda, those idiots should be sterilized.
    Last edited by Alvito; 2017-01-27 at 05:35 PM.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Apparently you need to be babied into not having too much sugar with shit like this

While soda isn't the same as tobacco, I think a lot of people are downplaying how outright addictive soda (through caffeine) actually is.

Some people's predisposition to addict behavior just gets ticked by soda and caffeine. It's sad, and shouldn't be downplayed. It DOES affect your health in the long term. Sure, not as quickly as cigarettes, but I think that actually makes it more nefarious in the long run. You know tobacco is terrible due to the absolute blitz of negative advertising in the last 20 years, but that didn't happen with soda and caffeine yet.

In many ways, we glorify the drinking of soda. Which, once again, is fine, put what you want in your body, but it does present a health problem.

Actually OT though: Their advertising strategies are very much similar to cigarette companies. Almost identical, in fact. Presenting it as an American and/or perfect leisurely product, drunk by children and adults alike, with no actual information about how terrible they are to actually consume.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2017-01-27 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How far we've come...

10+ Year Old Account
    And to be clear, there is ample evidence that soda companies did indeed campaign against scientific evidence showing the negative impacts of soda consumption, even funding their own studies that argued that soda consumption was totally fine and had no significant health impacts.

This is largely what this is about - large corporations hiding the danger of their products from consumers. And this is where the parallel to tobacco companies is being drawn, because these industries shared common strategies.

On a related note, we might know now that soda is pretty bad for you. But that wasn't always the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you should read the article.

Coke advertises their product as part of a healthy lifestyle.
    Sweet, evidence from decades upon decades ago. Does coke advertise its product as having health benefits right now in the year 2017? If so then sure you can claim they're similar to tobacco companies. Though no where near as dangerous as what they did. At all. Also that article you linked has coke saying their product will help your kid fit in better. That's a subjective opinion and not listed as a health benefit. . It's shady, but a far cry from saying coke cures cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    making your kids fat, them blaming it and sueing the soda company is about as big of a sign as an unfit parrent as i can think of.
    One. That isn't happening here.

Two. You really seem new to the world and don't know what real child abuse is. Child abuse is ya know, actually abusing your kids. If this is as big of a sign as you can think of them you've seriously never seen real legit child abuse. Also the word is parent. Not parrent. Unless discussing the parents of parrots then I'd say that's a good use of the word.
    Last edited by Beet; 2017-01-27 at 04:47 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's not particularly bad for you in moderation. Fruit, for instance, can be just as bad if you overeat it.
    Fruit consists of things that are good for you, just don't overeat.

Soda contains nothing beneficial to you in any way, also don't over-consume.

and Re: bolded, fruit cannot ever be as bad if over-consumed, as soda. There's no way.

You can't say that since you CAN over-consume water, and die, that water is as bad as cigarettes, as cigarettes also can be over-consumed. That's ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    So is water if you drink too much of it. People die because of that.
    lul you got me, soda is as bad as pure water. /ThumbsUp

10+ Year Old Account
    Fruit consists of things that are good for you, just don't overeat.

Soda contains nothing beneficial to you in any way, also don't over-consume.

and Re: bolded, fruit cannot ever be as bad if over-consumed, as soda. There's no way.
    Fruit can be bad if over-consumed. Fruits, specifically certain ones like grapes, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, and the like can contain MORE sugar than a can of soda. Yes, eating too much fruit is bad for you. Moderation is the key for everything. A proper diet is rich in complex carbs, unsaturated fats, fiber, and protein.

You can't say that since you CAN over-consume water, and die, that water is as bad as cigarettes, as cigarettes also can be over-consumed. That's ridiculous.
    I never said soda is as bad as tobacco. I never said water was, though, yes, of course you can over-drink it and die (Hyponatremia).

10+ Year Old Account
    Coca-cola fights these sort of things regularly, sometimes they deserve it, like with vitamin water. They can't be compared to cigarettes, they were marketing to a demographic that was not legally able to consume the product, there are no legal restrictions on soda consumption for minors. If people want to protect children from poor parenting then they should fund studies and pursue legislation based on the findings rather than pursue doomed suits against corporate giants adept at defeating them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    How is that a qualifier for "bad for you" lol?
    _____

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/s...isks-debated#1

The early findings showed a 48% increase in heart attack and stroke risk among daily diet soda drinkers, compared to people who did not drink diet sodas at all or did not drink them every day.
    _____

http://www.medicaldaily.com/pulse/so...-health-319054

children have an 80 percent increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes if they become regular soda drinkers. Their future will be one full of kidney problems, reproductive issues, osteoporosis, asthma, and bad teeth with dissolved tooth enamel.
    _____

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-s...for-you-2013-5

Researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health, published March 2012 in the journal Circulation, found that drinking just one sugary beverage a day was associated with a 20 percent increase in a man's risk of having a heart attack over a 22-year period.
    _____

http://www.health.com/health/gallery...-2-diabetes--0

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes
    _____

Hmmm. No, yall are right, soda is as good for your health as eating fruit. /s

inb4 BUT MAL I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE SYRUP [High Fructose Corn Syrup]

http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/05/13/5...will-kill-you/

unlike glucose, fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion or enhance leptin production. Because insulin and leptin act as key afferent signals in the regulation of food intake and body weight (to control appetite), this suggests that dietary fructose may contribute to increased energy intake and weight gain
    I would like to go on record saying Dr. Hyman is not someone I trust blindly. His assertion about vaccines causing autism is a red flag, but a lot of his other work does look very credible from what I've researched.